Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Coverage

• 22-09-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Is there anywhere that I can check if I can get broadband coverage (on the landline) for a house that I am interested in buying? Looking at some maps its very hard to judge where the coverage is in rural locations. Most of the websites you have to enter your landline number but obviously I don't have one. I would need broadband for work purposes and it would be a big factor for me in buying a house.
    I've been searching through the threads here for an answer but can't find anything - so apologies is this has been discussed previously.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The only way to know for sure is by checking the phone number. Anything else will be purely speculative, and in no way a guarantee. Each line has individual capabilities, and no map will tell you what any particular line will do.

If you have access to the house, and there's a pre-existing line there (even if it's not being used), you can find out the number that was assigned to it. See this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Thanks jor el, its a new build so unfortunately I won't be able to check out pre-existing lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Put a local business near your address into google find the number and try that. Or go and ask around the neighbourhood.

If you don't want to do that drive around with a laptop and wi-fi and see if you pick up eircom/bt routers. These will not exist if BB isn't in the area... Slightly suspicious but hey its a free world :)

Advertisement