Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sundrive Track Vandalised

• 22-09-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Message from Hugh
    Due to a willful act of vandalism (too mild a word!) on the track at Sundrive, the track is closed until further notice. Four plastic barriers were set alight on four seperate parts of the track and the tar at those points has been destroyed. These points are all on the lower racing line and the track is unusable until repair, if at all possible, has been undertaken.

Disgraceful :(

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I just cannot believe the mentality of some people. A great facility, ruined by mindless thugs.

The track was only resurfaced last year, using special quick-draining/drying tarmac. This is what may make it difficult, if not impossible, to repair. They had already had to remove graffiti from the new surface

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am actually very annoyed and upset. I cannot express how disgusted I am right now.

Beasty, you are saying it's not repairable? can you not break and resurface the tarmac at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Dam it - thats terrible I really enjoyed racing there this year

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help with repair
    I would be willing to contribute to a collection if need be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I can't f**king believe that. My mind boggles at how anyone could gain pleasure from something like this.

If money is needed I'll happily contribute.

Crazy that this morning I was reading about the Irish track team at Euro Championships and now the only track in the country has been destroyed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty, you are saying it's not repairable? can you not break and resurface the tarmac at all?

I don't know, but you will see there is some question based on Hugh's e-mail

There are two problems as I see it:

1. You need a perfectly smooth, but grippy surface (or as smooth as you can possibly get) - it's not like repairing a road, and you cannot cover the joins with (very slippery) black tar.
    2. It is a special tarmac they have used, and I have no idea whether this is repairable or not

I guess the track commission will need to evaluate this over the next few days.

Has anyone any idea how much they spent resurfacing it last year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's disgraceful. I'm quite upset about that. It's such a great facility and the fact that it was ruined by such a mindless act makes my blood boil.

I'm assuming there's absolutely no chance of nabbing those who did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

welcome to modern ireland and the sense of community that the younger generation are going to bring to the future of this country. if biffo cant wreck it some skanger will be sure to do a much better job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

This country is starting to really p!ss me off, what goes on in the mind of these idiots.

big mce wrote: »
    This country is starting to really p!ss me off, what goes on in the mind of these idiots.

Probably very little, as with the same mentally stunted morons in other countries.

Am hoping there could be a silver lining in here and plans made to build an indoor track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

I used to feel quite proud in a way that such a great facility was located in a park that, not to put too fine a point on it, gets piles of knackers in it. Thought that at least here's proof that we're not as crap a society that like to moan about all the time if something like that is respected. Well, balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Feck sake, this must only have happened late last night. I was at the track yesterday from about 18:40 to 19:45. There wasn't anyone else cycling on the track and there was a soccer team training in the center ground. A few young kids around but weren't causing anyone any hassle, everyone was just enjoying the park and the facilities.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

neris wrote: »
    welcome to modern ireland and the sense of community that the younger generation are going to bring to the future of this country.

Nothing new, this country was the same in the Eighties.
    Am hoping there could be a silver lining in here and plans made to build an indoor track.

Highly doubt it. The last think I expect Brian Lenihan to be announcing on budget day is funding for a velodrome.

oflahero wrote: »
    I used to feel quite proud in a way that such a great facility was located in a park that, not to put too fine a point on it, gets piles of knackers in it. Thought that at least here's proof that we're not as crap a society that like to moan about all the time if something like that is respected. Well, balls.

It lasted a lot longer than I ever expected.

I wonder if the committee have planned for this as an inevitability.

Unfortunately I suspect they will struggle to find the resource to repair this particularly if they do need to replace the whole surface, never mind consider an indoor track (which will run into the millions).

One of the problems is there is nothing to stop this happening again - Sundrive is in the middle of a park, and there is no way it can be continually patrolled to prevent such vandalism. I've no idea if there is any CCTV, but even if there is it would take time for anyone to get down there to deal with any problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

el tonto wrote: »

Highly doubt it. The last think I expect Brian Lenihan to be announcing on budget day is funding for a velodrome.

Plus I think it is/was a great facility to have an outdoor track where you could just show up and cycle to your hearts content provided it wasn't already in use. No need to book times and pay etc. There's alot to be said for the flexibility of an outdoor track even with the downside of the crappy weather.

Don't know what you can do with these scum, maybe send them all to the army for a year or two to learn some respect and discipline.

...maybe send them all to the army for a year or two to learn some respect and discipline....

...and how to kill people ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Don't know what you can do with these scum, maybe send them all to the army for a year or two to learn some respect and discipline.

Or use them as target practice.

If it were simply a cost issue there must be plenty out there who would be willing to contribute to its continuation (it IS the only one in the country). My fear is that this may simply lead to a conclusion that the prospect of it happening again makes the whole thing a non-runner.

I'm really pi$$ed about this considering I had hoped to finally race on it next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

This is just another incident on the track after several bike and moped thefts again this year. I doubt there will be much funding from the Gov or the sports commission :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭lyders

This is absolutely horrible to hear. I really hope it is repairable. I was hoping to race there next year after doing so well on the track in London. The only track in London (obv not counting the new Olympic one) is under threat of closure too. (http://www.savethevelodrome.com)

Does anyone know if they will be able to catch the b**tards that did it?? Any CCTV at sundrive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

what, no fair. im in the process of building my track biked soley so i can have a go on this track. f**king chavs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

That is such depressing news.

Some people really have nothing to contribute but their own idiocy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Beasty wrote: »
    Unfortunately I suspect they will struggle to find the resource to repair this particularly if they do need to replace the whole surface, never mind consider an indoor track (which will run into the millions).

One of the problems is there is nothing to stop this happening again - Sundrive is in the middle of a park, and there is no way it can be continually patrolled to prevent such vandalism. I've no idea if there is any CCTV, but even if there is it would take time for anyone to get down there to deal with any problems

Remote monitoring via cctv/security company is inexpensive and will deter mindless idiots before damage is caused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

'Tis probably cheaper to send the Irish Track team to Manchester every week then repair the track here.

It must take a lot of patience to set alight 4 plastic barriers, wouldnt say there're the easiest thing burn!

Cycling Ireland's dead and gone
    its with Biffo in the grave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Any photos of extent of damage?

Could it not be patch repaired to Safe standards?

Has anyone approached clg the guys who installed it iirc to get a quote for the work?

Are these plastic barriers the ones that prevent short cuts on the track?

Can they be replaced with barriers made of non combustable material?

Are people on here being too dramatic?

Tarmac work is not rocket science. Sure didn't many an uneducated Irish man make a living in the uk over the years thanks to Tarmac!

I am sure with the right specification drawn u p for the work by let's say dcc there would be plenty of competitive quotes from Tarmac contractors in the current economic climate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Any photos of extent of damage?

Could it not be patch repaired to Safe standards?

Has anyone approached clg the guys who installed it iirc to get a quote for the work?

Are these plastic barriers the ones that prevent short cuts on the track?

Can they be replaced with barriers made of non combustable material?

Tarmac work is not rocket science. Sure didn't many an uneducated Irish man make a living in the uk over the years thanks to Tarmac!

I am sure with the right specification drawn u p for the work by let's say dcc there would be plenty of competitive quotes from Tarmac contractors in the current economic climate

I think previous posts made it pretty clear that this is not as simple as repairing a section of roadway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I think previous posts made it pretty clear that this is not as simple as repairing a section of roadway.

and obviously repairing such tarmac requires different techniques to the DCC "shovel of tarmac and a jump and feck off for a breakfast roll" technique.

I wouldnt worry , it can well be repaired to a acceptable standard.

Maybe, but in Hugh's note he himself questions the possiblity of repairing it at all.

Secondly, I feel that the fact that this happened at all may question the practical and financial viability of the track for those who may have the power to simply shut it down or whatever. Maybe this is just because I miss the BMX track in Marlay and could never understand why it was allowed to wallow in disrepair when people were constantly using it any day I was there.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

and my post made it clear that it aint rocket science

how was it ever built in the first place???

would you advise shutting the track down?

or

would you look at the possibility of determining required works to reinstate it? get prices? determne how to fund it? and carry out the works? maybe even be so bold as to allow for a cctv pearched on a high pole - not that that would help much if the local hoods wear hoods!!

• Advertisement

I guess the track commission are probably asking the same questions as we are at present. It's less than 24 hours since it happened, and probably only a few hours since they became aware of it.

Hopefully they will get some answers over the next few days, and with a bit of luck we'll find out what they are also

On the question of using Manchester, available track time is limited (and I suspect the same may be the case with Newport) and Team GB get absolute priority. When you add the costs of transporting bikes and accomodation, the use of overseas tracks is, and will continue to be, constrained by finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Should it be rebuilt in a less scumbag infested area?

This is the second visit by scumbags in a relatively short period, the first time robbery could have been the motive but this time it looks like the motive was to deliberately destroy the track. How many times do you rebuild/repair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

fenris wrote: »

Well, a better policed one anyway.

292xs93.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Lumen wrote: »
    Well, a better policed one anyway.

292xs93.jpg
    Not suitable. I heard lately that it has become a haven for Drink and Drive TDs joyriding in their own cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

Wasn't there a team brought in from abroad to resurface the track in the first place? That might be the expense Hugh is thinking of.

As for moving the track to a 'nicer' area... I'm sorry, have you lived in Dublin long? I've lived 5 minutes from the track for 33 years. I've never burnt anything out there... Wherever you moved it, if it was accessible, it would be wrecked, such is the nature of Dublin.

I love the fact that I've been able to use that track my entire life, for free, without having to book time. Since I've been a kid I've ridden around it, even when it was mossy-banked, pot-holed and covered in glass. Perhaps it needs to be restricted however, if we want to have a real facility for athletes to train on. God knows we're not going to get an indoor track here in my lifetime (I'd love to be proven wrong). Could the outer railings be heightened? Or perhaps a higher secondary railing that encompasses the pavement that runs around the track? Might look ****ty but it would help preserve the track's integrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

Hugh's latest post on Arsebook:

"Track Commission and Dublin City Council visited the track this evening to survey the damage and all parties are determined to put it right. We will be consulting with the UK firm who laid the track to see if a reheat type repair is possible so as to avoid the shiny tar joins. It would appear that the damage was quite deliberate and not the work of kids. Although damage is bad enough, it could be worse."

The mind boggles as to why someone would do this deliberately? Do the track riders have some kind of arch-nemesis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

dubmess wrote: »
    Could the outer railings be heightened? Or perhaps a higher secondary railing that encompasses the pavement that runs around the track? Might look ****ty but it would help preserve the track's integrity.

That's just going to put off someone doing a few laps when the place is empty, not the determined scumbag out for some "entertainment"

I guess it's deliberate vandalism, but not necessarily deliberately targetting cyclists. There's a running track inside the cycle track, but there is not much damage they could do to it, as it it's a cinder rather than tartan track. In a way, that fact it is in good condition, fenced and the gates are locked, almost makes it more of a target for this type of mindless vandalism

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MWalljobs

The mind boggles as to why someone would do this deliberately? Do the track riders have some kind of arch-nemesis?

has it occurred to anyone that this might be a warning from a protection type gang ?? I would not be surprised if the track committee would be approached for a "regular" donation to keep the track free from "unwanted interference".
    Such are the lawless times we live in.

I hope I'm wrong, Mafia type activity is very hard to stamp out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

no, that does really happen over hear, especially to a track owned by the opw or council. it has scumbag written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I imagine they mean deliberate as in, "Ha ha, lets wreck the cycling track" and it wasn't just an unfortunate side-effect of random scumbaggery.

• Advertisement

MWalljobs wrote: »
    has it occurred to anyone that this might be a warning from a protection type gang ?? I would not be surprised if the track committee would be approached for a "regular" donation to keep the track free from "unwanted interference".
    Such are the lawless times we live in.

I hope I'm wrong, Mafia type activity is very hard to stamp out.

Possibly, but I suspect that it would involve a little more forethought and intelligence than these kind of people are capable of.

Whole thing has strengthened my resolve to get more involved next year and also plan a trip to Manchester.

fenris wrote: »

This is the second visit by scumbags in a relatively short period, the first time robbery could have been the motive but this time it looks like the motive was to deliberately destroy the track. How many times do you rebuild/repair?

Well done you just insulted a whole neighbourhood

Moderators

I'd be sure 99% of people from that area are decent and like to see sport in their area

As regards relocating track that would not stack up unless someone was to donate a field or something

Wouldn't you still be talking 10's of thousands for a site for an outdoor track with a few acres anywhere in the Dublin area

On the other hand an indoor track might be a runner with all the disused industrial warehouses now proliferating Ireland

Well done you just insulted a whole neighbourhood

Moderators

I'd be sure 99% of people from that area are decent and like to see sport in their area

Is this a call for moderator intervention? If so, use the report post button in future.

1329102-tn_hazard-sign-V2.jpg

Is this a call for moderator intervention? If so, use the report post button in future.

1329102-tn_hazard-sign-V2.jpg

Well sorry yes it is. Will try and remember your advice next time thanks

Well sorry yes it is. Will try and remember your advice next time thanks

No problem. We're trying to encourage users to report posts rather than complain on thread, since a.) such complaints can easily be missed by mods and b.) it can sometimes drag a thread off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

seamus wrote: »
    "Ha ha, lets wreck the cycling track"

More like "Ha ha, lets wreck the cycling track slopy road", doubt the vandals knew it was a cycling track given the stupidity of the act. Stupid is as stupid...emm.

I suggest building something akin to this

img0020ty5.jpg

Allow people to bet on all the races. Most of the Keirin guys in Japan don't even bother attending the UCI Championships because they make so much money were they are. So, we'd be creating jobs, financial incentive and a heightened awareness of track cycling and possibly more people would take it up and we could get a whole health movement around it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=JP&feature=related&hl=ja&v=sp1kh5pDXjM

I'm not making light of the situation, just trying to cheer it up a bit.

Could no Irish company sort the track out, maybe for less?

Could no Irish company sort the track out, maybe for less?

I guess we need an idea of how much it's going to cost to put it right first, but the problem with using a non-specialist tarmac is you will end up with two different surfaces with different grip qualities, and slippery black tar where they join - it effectively throws away the money already invested in making it a good quality track.

No problem. We're trying to encourage users to report posts rather than complain on thread, since a.) such complaints can easily be missed by mods and b.) it can sometimes drag a thread off topic.

So el tonto are u going to let that original comment stand?

Just realised the fence in the photo I posted is probably what you'd need around the track, but as someone else said, it'd take away from the unique ability to use it whenever you wanted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement