Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sundrive Track Vandalised

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well sorry yes it is. Will try and remember your advice next time thanks
    el tonto wrote: »
    We're trying to encourage users to report posts rather than complain on thread, since...it can sometimes drag a thread off topic. [/B]
    So el tonto are u going to let that original comment stand?

:facepalm:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So el tonto are u going to let that original comment stand?
    Slideshowbob

This is known as back-seat modding, and would normally incur an infraction - I'm letting it go this time though. Do not question moderating action (or lack of action) in-thread - PM the mods if you want clarification

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

I suggest something like this: :rolleyes:

http://www.madmind.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/rollerball1.jpg

Would cost feck all to build

Government could fund it by issuance of track(er) bonds which could be redeemed against discounted betting slips

On a semi serious note would Irish betting law as it stands allow for keirin type betting? Would your average Joe get into it? Japanese and Irish mentalities are different?!??

With all due respect why should my query be resigned to pm's and not dealt with in public.

I feel I made a fair point, to refer to that area as a scumbag type area is very insulting. I hope no one from the area involved with the community would happen to stumble upon this thread as i believe it let's down the Irish cycling fraternity with comments like that.

Having said that I respect ye mods and realise boards.ie is only essentially from what I understand a private website after all and u cycling mods are trying to keep a reign on things on a voluntary basis I guess

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

With all due respect why should my query be resigned to pm's and not dealt with in public.

Because it's a site rule. And the reason that rule is there is quite evident in this thread. A discussion about Sundrive has been dragged way off topic into a discussion about moderation.

If you want to discuss this, the proper way to do this is use either the report post function or PM the mods and we'll be happy to talk.

Any more off-topic posts will be deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Who are the track commission?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't think I've ever even seen this track but pretty bad form that scumbags would damage it :(

When I first moved down to waterford they had a old cycle track in the people's park, I always found it amussing that they also had a no bikes sign up at every extrance as well though.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

sundrivevandalism2010b.jpg

Members from the Track Commission met with the Park authority and the council at Sundrive Road last night to asses the damage, and the Track was closed until further notice

Taken from www.trackcycling.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Doesnt look too bad in that photo, looks like the heat wasnt high enough to melt the surface.

30 minutes with a sharp spade would get most of the melted plastic off and the track surface might be in a reasonable state afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cyclinglucan

The surface is melted and badly damaged in four sections

The Track has been closed by the Park / Council until a repair can be carried out.

anybody who has been at the Track will know this is not ordinary tarmac - and a join/repair is not as simple as suggested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is the graffiti related or was it there before?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

seamus wrote: »
    Is the graffiti related or was it there before?

The IRA stuff was there before, at least I'm pretty sure it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

el tonto wrote: »
    The IRA stuff was there before, at least I'm pretty sure it was.

Yes it was there before alright. Where did they even get those plastic barriers from, would have to carry them from outside the park as there was nothing around the enclosed track on Tues evening. There's road works outside the side gate on Ruthland Avenue but the plastic barriers they have there are red so doubt that's what they used. Surely someone would have seen something if they had to carry plastic barriers in from outside the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cyclinglucan

Grafitti was there on the new track - and blacked out, but starting to show through recently.

This was - by any standards, an excellent track, with a perfect surface,

Some of the youth riders are devastated.

the Track Commission have encouraged local participation, and formed a club there for local young riders.

local attacks / trouble / break ins had been increasing in recent weeks.

Grafitti was there on the new track - and blacked out, but starting to show through recently.

This was - by any standards, an excellent track, with a perfect surface,

Some of the youth riders are devastated.

the Track Commission have encouraged local participation, and formed a club there for local young riders.

local attacks / trouble / break ins had been increasing in recent weeks.

Is there any hint at a motive (if there is any)?

• Advertisement

Tails142 wrote: »
    Doesnt look too bad in that photo, looks like the heat wasnt high enough to melt the surface.

30 minutes with a sharp spade would get most of the melted plastic off and the track surface might be in a reasonable state afterwards.

I had a brown bin burnt out outside my home on the road a few months ago. Melted to a pancake. the following morning after it had cooled I was picking it up and with it big chunks of tarmac and that's the bit's I could shovel up the rest welded to the tarmac to be forever part of the road. Molton plastic is just bad news for everything it comes in contact with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Well done you just insulted a whole neighbourhood

Moderators

I'd be sure 99% of people from that area are decent and like to see sport in their area

It is not the makey up statistical 99% that are causing the problem.

There are scumbags everywhere in varying proportions but these ones seem to like messing with tracks - maybe they should be declared a protected species and given special track burning rights to recognise their unique contribution to society. :rolleyes:

The fact that the only facility in the country was targeted twice in a relatively short period raises the question as to whether is it worth repairing in that location.

The secondary question is what is gained by the attack?
    - protection racket?
    - giving less people a reason to be in that area?
    - phobia against fixies / track bikes resulting in a preemptive strike on their breeding ground?

Is the facility important enough to enough people to cover the cost of security in the form of barriers or personnel?

How many times will we get funding to fix it?

As an aside, wasn't the burning of a bike the catalyst for the current current gang war in Crumlin/Drimnagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shark_

MWalljobs wrote: »
    has it occurred to anyone that this might be a warning from a protection type gang ?? I would not be surprised if the track committee would be approached for a "regular" donation to keep the track free from "unwanted interference".
    Such are the lawless times we live in.

I hope I'm wrong, Mafia type activity is very hard to stamp out.

This might be a knock on effect off a track invasion.We were racing one night a few weeks ago.A local lad not a kid, walked across the finishing straght as we were going for the sprint.He had to be persuaded with a push off the track.He then went on to assaulted a person that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Maybe ask one of the mobile networks if they'd like a free site for a disguised mast or booster station? Once you have that, you've a decent chance of isolating the numbers of the people involved and identifying them. Granted, it's a bit Orwellian, but the benefits would seem to hugely outweigh the drawbacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Cabaal wrote: »
    When I first moved down to waterford they had a old cycle track in the people's park, I always found it amussing that they also had a no bikes sign up at every extrance as well though.
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, Waterford native myself, and really disappointed that the opportunity wasn't availed of to create something unique when they renovated the park and removed the track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Am hoping there could be a silver lining in here and plans made to build an indoor track.

Never in a million years. We (athletics community) have been waiting for an indoor track for the last 30 years and you only have to read an Ian O'Riordan column to see how likely that is.

PS No disrespect to Nenagh Olympic who built their own club facility - without which there would be no track at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Shark_ wrote: »
    This might be a knock on effect off a track invasion.We were racing one night a few weeks ago.A local lad not a kid, walked across the finishing straght as we were going for the sprint.He had to be persuaded with a push off the track.He then went on to assaulted a person that night.

That doesn't sound too good and has the potential to escalate into a them and us situation. Anyone using the track should be advised to have a passive approach to these confrontations.
    Maybe what is needed is to get some of them on board in much the same way as boxing clubs do in many parts of the city to very good effect.
    I think if the community liaison police officer organised an open day for some of the youths and give them a few competitive laps on recovered stolen bikes most of them will never be seen near the place again.
    Who knows it might even catch on.
    Re: the photos of the track. Most road racers I know wouldn't even bother to shout "hole" riding over those. A temporary repair with tarmac should suffice and open it up again until a permanent solution or location is found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That doesn't sound too good and has the potential to escalate into a them and us situation. Anyone using the track should be advised to have a passive approach to these confrontations.
    Maybe what is needed is to get some of them on board in much the same way as boxing clubs do in many parts of the city to very good effect.
    I think if the community liaison police officer organised an open day for some of the youths and give them a few competitive laps on recovered stolen bikes most of them will never be seen near the place again.

If that fails, can we set them on fire?

Re: the photos of the track. Most road racers I know wouldn't even bother to shout "hole" riding over those. A temporary repair with tarmac should suffice and open it up again until a permanent solution or location is found.

As was said previously efforts had already been made to include local kids. This isn't going to put certain elements off, they won't really care.

Maybe roadies wouldn't be bothered, but it's not a road and a decent, fast surface is very important. If the committee say it needs to be fixed then it needs to be fixed.

Lumen wrote: »
    If that fails, can we set them on fire?

LOL. Patience man, you are about 50 years before your time, think civil liberties brigade etc. We have to wait until it gets really out of hand and then we will have a NAMA for gurriers that will dispose of the toxic undesireables. Although I think bullets and dogfood would be more ecofriendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Or maybe 70 years after his time?

droidus wrote: »
    Or maybe 70 years after his time?
    Well it worked back then from what the elders tell us.
    You only have to see whats happened in the drugs trade over the last 30 years as an example of a lightly regulated crime. It is now regulating itself on the streets of dublin with the gun. The end result is the same. But good people have to suffer a lot during the long wait.

LOL. Patience man, you are about 50 years before your time, think civil liberties brigade etc. We have to wait until it gets really out of hand and then we will have a NAMA for gurriers that will dispose of the toxic undesireables. Although I think bullets and dogfood would be more ecofriendly.

That has to be the quote of the day! Utter brillance!

Actually anyone know why eamon ceant park is so called?

Was he affiliated with sports particularly?

Or when was cycle track first installed in park?

Any particular reason? For any one event?

Didn't coppi race there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Actually anyone know why eamon ceant park is so called?

Was he affiliated with sports particularly?

Or when was cycle track first installed in park?

Any particular reason? For any one event?

Didn't coppi race there?

I wouldnt be surprised if he had no involvement at all with cycling/ Lots of sports grounds, parks etc are callen after long dead patriots. I cant imagine that Charles Stewart parnell played much hurling or football (but I could be wrong).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hungrycol wrote: »
    That has to be the quote of the day! Utter brillance!

I think someone else had a similar idea to do away with "toxic undesirables", it didn't work out too good for him.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I wouldnt be surprised if he had no involvement at all with cycling/ Lots of sports grounds, parks etc are callen after long dead patriots. I cant imagine that Charles Stewart parnell played much hurling or football (but I could be wrong).

I find it hard to believe with the cycling afficianaos among boards.ie that no one can elaborable on the history of the track as we are chatting about it and its continued merits!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I find it hard to believe with the cycling afficianaos among boards.ie that no one can elaborable on the history of the track as we are chatting about it and its continued merits!!

Hi Bob
    It's actually the park thats called after him. The track is called the Eamon Ceannt track simply because it is located in the park. It's also known as the Sundrive road track.

Eamon was the son of an RIC policeman who became involved in the Irish league. He was born in Galway but moved to Dublin when his father retired. He eventually became involved in the IRB and commanded the Marrowbone lane distillery during the 1916 rising one of only 2 sites that were not taken. He surrendered on the orders of Padraig Pearse and was executed in Kilmainham jail later in 1916 (aged only 34). The Irish league which involved the GAA was the body responsible for promoting cycling as a sport in the early years of the 20th century.
    He was one of the the seven who signed the original proclamation of independence.
    Here he is btw (last on the right).

seven.jpg

http://www.iol.ie/~dluby/history.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_Ireland
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cycling_tracks_and_velodromes

thanks Rob

Anyone know when track was first built? Who commissioned it? was it government wanted it built? or one of the cycling organisations? etc?

Was it built when there was a split in irish cycling? N(A)CA / CRE?

so did only 1 of them get to use it?

Did Coppi only come over once? any other big names ride it?

on semi related matters i see boardman (ex track olympian n all) bikes are to be used by Maxxiss team in states next year?

Back to topic - Do we throw all this history and the fortune that was spent of the resurfacing recently away because a few scumbags with a lighter got rubbed up the wrong way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Well it worked back then from what the elders tell us.
    You only have to see whats happened in the drugs trade over the last 30 years as an example of a lightly regulated crime. It is now regulating itself on the streets of dublin with the gun. The end result is the same. But good people have to suffer a lot during the long wait.

Yeah. Step up the war on drugs. Its so cheap and effective. Sure hasn't draconian prohibition worked brilliantly in the States. Millions in jail and the most drug related crime anywhere.
    Drug abuse is a MEDICAL issue. Treating it as a crime is what has guns on the street.

I feel sick about what happened to the track btw. Was hoping to get a shot on it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

thanks Rob

Back to topic - Do we throw all this history and the fortune that was spent of the resurfacing recently away because a few scumbags with a lighter got rubbed up the wrong way

In fairness Bob, while the history of the place has merit, it matters little when we consider the act of vandalism that recently occurred.

If the track was new and had no history, it would still be a shame that it would be vandalised.

I passed by the place a few times and always thought that it looked like a lovely facility. Hopefully the funding will be found to bring the track back to the condition necessary.
    Regarding the future safety of the track, well I am afraid that that they only way that could be achieved is a walled stadium unfortunately.

i dont think a walled stadium would be a possible there

among other things, such as cost and merit, it would need to project 10feet or so above the highest level of the track, this would vastly compromise the aesthetics of the park, hence I doubt it would get past planning.

perhaps better community relations is the way to go

I was at an event earlier this year and lads were having natural breaks in sight of any passer by in the park, hardly enamouring locals!

shouldnt it be a requirement that a portaloo be brought in for certain events?

I was at an event earlier this year and lads were having natural breaks in sight of any passer by in the park, hardly enamouring locals!

shouldnt it be a requirement that a portaloo be brought in for certain events?

Presumed organised track meats would have use of the facilities beside the astro turf pitch. Don't know if there was previously an actual club house or what the facilities were but it does look like they're currently building an actual complex with proper facilities. There's a good few facilities in the park with the astro turf pitch, basketball and tennis courts, cycling track and a number of soccer pitches so stands to reason that there would be proper changing facilities, showers and toilets and that's what looks like that's currently being built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

really pissed off about this. recently bought a very nice track frame to build up for racing, now Ive no where to bring it. I live close to this park but had only seen the racing there once and was getting ready for the next season.

on a humorous note, maybe something like this would keep the scum out
    thnderdomw_62317.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

Did Coppi only come over once? any other big names ride it?

Coppi didn't race on this track. It was Morton Stadium in Santry where he raced.

Just in case no-one has read the piece on Track Cycling Ireland:

"Later yesterday evening members of the track commission met with the authorities on site and the GOOD news is that the track will be resurfaced. But as of now the track is out of commission. Damage is estimated at double figures.

It is not the news that any cyclist wants to hear or read about! It was like a death in the family for the track devotees when it was discovered yesterday that the Track at the Eamonn Ceannt had been vandalised. Yes! The track itself which was officially opened by the Lord Mayor (Evelyn Costello 2009) of Dublin was in so many words brutalised.

It left a sinking feeling in the hearts of many who had strived and succeeded in getting track cycling back to the fore again.

Only at the weekend the heavens had denied them of a number of championships, but little did they realise what was around the corner.

The track people overcame many hurdles on their way to getting a vibrant scene up and running over a long number of years, when many would have walked away. But these individuals and they know who they are made that long pilgrimage to the top of Everest in their estimation. Maybe, in this time and their needs that they will rally the troops and again show that they are made of sterner stuff and will 'We shall overcome.'

At least they have the chair this Saturday to paint a picture of hope and aspirations for the well being of the cycling community in general."

For me I'm really glad that there is some good news and it has all made me more intent on using the track as much as possible.

However, I also think something needs to be sorted about using the place for calls of nature. I'm surprised it has never been addressed before. I have heard other reports of the saem.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

"Damage is estimated at double figures"
    What? More than €9?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

build a bloody big fence-gob****es-it was bloody obvious it would happen:confused:

build a bloody big fence-gob****es-it was bloody obvious it would happen:confused:

So what, keep everyone out apart from during organised track meets? The beauty of the existing track was that you could use it at your leisure when it wasn't in use, which was the majority of the time. Plus there's a large grass area in the centre that people could use for soccer and other activities, for instance I've seen local kids playing golf and practising chipping in it.

If you fence off the cycling track and put it under lock and key is that you say you should lock the basketball and tennis courts, kids play ground and sure while you're at it you might as well fence off and lock the park itself. Facilities are there to be used and people should be encouraged to use them to keep fit and healthy, not hindered with high fences and locks just because of an unsavoury few low lifes out to cause destruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

So what, keep everyone out apart from during organised track meets? The beauty of the existing track was that you could use it at your leisure when it wasn't in use, which was the majority of the time. Plus there's a large grass area in the centre that people could use for soccer and other activities, for instance I've seen local kids playing golf and practising chipping in it.

If you fence off the cycling track and put it under lock and key is that you say you should lock the basketball and tennis courts, kids play ground and sure while you're at it you might as well fence off and lock the park itself. Facilities are there to be used and people should be encouraged to use them to keep fit and healthy, not hindered with high fences and locks just because of an unsavoury few low lifes out to cause destruction.

A nice romantic idea, but in the real world-i.e-Ireland..drunken drugged up louts only need 30mins on one occassion to destroy it. The tennis courts etc are not as expensive or quite the magnet a quality cycling track is.
    Look at the tatan track in Tallaght. The high fence was the very first thing that went up. Fair enough there is a lock and key situation but at least its not on fire.

• Advertisement

A nice romantic idea, but in the real world-i.e-Ireland..drunken drugged up louts only need 30mins on one occassion to destroy it. The tennis courts etc are not as expensive or quite the magnet a quality cycling track is.
    Look at the tatan track in Tallaght. The high fence was the very first thing that went up. Fair enough there is a lock and key situation but at least its not on fire.

Don't think "louts" need to be drunken or drugged-up to do this kind of thing. Maybe a higher fence is needed, but I think calling them "gobsh**tes" is out of line. You're obviously a runner, I personally, was always glad the Belfield track was not fenced off when I used it. Maybe the facilities are different, but I always appreciated the spirit of it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

IVCA Championships have been moved to a new track in Cork, Kanturk velodrome:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Beasty wrote: »
    IVCA Championships have been moved to a new track in Cork, Kanturk velodrome:

First I have heard about a Velodrome in Kanturk.Brilliant.
    Dan Curtin was already a legend but this really seals it.
    Wheres me fixie.??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

what date is ivca track on now in Cork?

wpd wrote: »
    what date is ivca track on now in Cork?
    Sunday 10th October, but they are making a call on the weather on the Friday.

Sign on from 11, racing from 12, with the following "order of play" for the 3 age categories (40-49, 50-59, 60+):

500TT :- Straight Final
    Pursuit:- Straight Final (3km 40-49, 2km others)
    200TT Sprint Qualify
    Presentation:- TT and Pursuit
    Sprint Rounds (weather dependent)
    Break
    Sprint Semi Finals and Finals
    Scratch Races
    Team Sprint 135+
    Presentation:- Sprint and Scratch

• Advertisement
Advertisement