Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl 78's Help

Options
  • 22-09-2010 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi all. I've got 2, 78's records from 1954 that I would like to convert to mp3. I'm going to try on my mates decks but neither of us have done this before so would be open to any suggestions as to the best procedure, pitfalls etc.

Also there's a little bit of mildue on them, any tips on cleaning would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

After cleaning, if there is still quality issues, you could run it trough bias soundsoap, record to wav. then convert to mp3 using lame 3.97

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Thanks guys,I'm a dunce when it comes to these things. The woodglue is a great idea but I don't think I've the balls to try it because these are the only copies in existence. I'll try the soapy water method.

I'm sure I'll have more questions when one I get them digitalized. Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Does your mates decks spin at 78? Most are 33 or 45. But you could use software to speed them up once you've digitized them also.

iamstop wrote: »
    Does your mates decks spin at 78? Most are 33 or 45. But you could use software to speed them up once you've digitized them also.

I don't know to be honest, we're going to try tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

iamstop wrote: »

i'd be willing to bet my left nut that the deck doesn't do 78.

Haven't seen a turntable in years that can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

jtsuited wrote: »

Won't matter though - as long as they get the audio in a computer, the pitch can be changed without impacting the quality - it will just be a case of a bit of maths for the ratio of increase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

you could also need to change your needle to a wider type,
    like a Sure M78S :
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/78-Phono-Cartridges

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

jtsuited wrote: »

vestax pdx 2000's do.
    there a beast of a deck.

Thanks for all the info. We gave it a test try today. I gave them a light clean with warm water before I started. My friend was able to get them playing at 78 speed ( he has Technics Decks and was able to do it fairly quickly). Some of the speech sounded a little slow at times and perfect at others, across the same record, which was strange. There was also a lot of cracking in the silent parts but not bad for a nearly 60 year old record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

most of the big names do 78rpm, generally you just press both the 45 and 33 button to get it to do 78

Advertisement