Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you love Christmas eve?

Options
  • 22-09-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

I just love it so much! The shops are so busy evrybody is thinking of tomorow and hearing the little kids looking forward santa coming. I also love delevring presents to our neigbhours and going into tescos at 17.45 and seeing everybody trying to sneak in the door!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

cooltown wrote: »
    I just love it so much! The shops are so busy evrybody is thinking of tomorow and hearing the little kids looking forward santa coming. I also love delevring presents to our neigbhours and going into tescos at 17.45 and seeing everybody trying to sneak in the door!

You realise you're asking this question on a Christmas Forum??!! HAHA! So YES I LOOOOOOOOVE Christmas Eve! Actually i'd go so far as to say that i like it even more than Christmas Day itself! I just love the anticipation, the excitement - i always think how excited the kids must be cos i was the exact same at their age! I love the whole 'everybody going home for Christmas', the roads are really quiet, everyones with their loved ones etc. Just love it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

It's my favourite day of the season - after all the rushing around and the food prep I spend some time with my honeybun before he goes to his family for the pressie unveiling. Theres a couple of hours then when I'm by myself, a fire blazing, milky chai tea in hand looking at the tree all twinlky and warm when I think of my granny who taught me how to cook and my poor old Dad who brought us out every Christmas Eve for a special present each and a meal out, looking as proud as punch of his brood and being excited as all get out about the days ahead. It's sad to think they are both gone but all the tearyness is quickly replaced with a gratitude for having had them in my life for as long as I had and the memories of the funny things that took place around Christmasses past.

Then it's off the Midnight Mass, leaving the candle in the window (safely of course!) and listening to the old time programmes RTE Radio 1 play on that lovely calm night when you honestly think, no matter what age you are, that that sounded like bells and hohoho overhead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Amston

I love it too, probably my fave day of the year :)

Oooohh now I'm all excited about Christmas ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Yes! I love it more than Christmas Day! On Christmas Eve your excited and waiting, watching all the cheesy festive movies and being in your pj's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

yeah it's fantastic, theres no other day like it throughout the year, tiz magic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye Christmas Eve is my mother's birthday so it's always a bit more special.
    Apart from birthday-ness, there's last minute wrapping, everyone wanting a shower/bath and clean bed sheets/pjs (love that!), and excitement building up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

Love love love Christmas Eve, it's my favourite day, Love going out during the day somewhere when people are getting their last minute bits and piece and the whole atmosphere is just lovely! Such a magical day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i love going to the pub on christmas eve its great crack !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

Christmas Eve is amazing!! I love going into town for a while because seeeing all the christmas lights up on christmas eve is the best. There are also usually pretty good buskers on Grafton street singing christmas songs and everybody just seems really happy. I also love going onto the Santa tracker to show my little brother because it just makes it more exciting! Then it's off to mass which is also great because all the little kids are there and they're all so excited. I LOVE Christmas eve!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Me toooooo! :D:) usually go out to dinner with the bf before he goes to family for xmas, and then go to the xmas house in artane that night with the dad {anyone go there?} . parents separated so its like two xmasses! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Me too. Christmas eve is just so lovely and magical!

When i was a teenage i used work in a cafe in town and always finished at 4 on xmas eve. walkin through town on the way home was brilliant. Everybody always looks so happy and panicked!

Now I have a new tradition of a drink with my boyfriend and his best friend who only comes home for christmas. we make sure there are christmas songs playing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Christmas Eve is without doubt my absolute favourite day of the year. My husband and I spend it with my family and we've gotten to the stage now where he's become involved in my family traditions and he and I have started some new ones of our own, I love it.

Personally, I don't like town, shops etc. on Christmas Eve and prefer to spend it at home. My poor mother is up to 90 preparing food and slapping away hands grabbing for tastes of stuffing, ham, trifle etc. :pac:

From about 7pm onwards things begin to calm down and siblings call over with their very excited kids in tow. There's usually drinks (Bailey's coffee and mulled wine usually) and mince pies and people stealing mouthfulls of ham without my mother noticing. We often exchange presents that night and it's just a lovely time; everyone makes an extra effort to get along, there's anticipation and laughter and teasing of children about whether they've made it onto Santa's good list or not.

I'm lucky to have a big, close family around me but I think that in 40 years time if I'm still around to look back on happy times, Christmas Eves will feature most prominently in those memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I hope my family will become more like yours as we get older. Right now we all convene at home for christmas but there are no little kiddies yet. Your christmas eves sound lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I love Christmas Eve.

Usually I have all my shopping etc done weeks in advance. Love wandering into town on Christmas Eve.... mainly just to get out of the house for a few hours when stress levels seem to be at an all time high amongst my family forgetting to get something or other.

The lights, the snow (optional), a hot drink in hand. It's probably the only time of year that I couldn't give a fcuk as to how busy town is.

Then it's off home, dinner with the parents, a pint in the pub with friends or my dad... Depends on who's up for it, National Lampoon's with the family and general stuffing the face. Nom nom nom.

I dunno what it is about Christmas Eve but, there's always better films on that night than Christmas Day.

Yep, that's about it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

I love christmas eve. Yhe kids are so full of anticipation and excitement. We usually head into town with the children for a look around and something to eat. My parents always do tea for our family and all the cousins get to meet up.
    I think its as good as the day itself,although last year when we went for lunch in a (award winning pub/restaurant) I got a slug in my tea!!! So maybe didnt enjoy that meal as much as normal lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Christmas Eve is my favourite day of the year. There's something strangely magical about it. Everyone's in a good mood, there's a sense of anticipation (or a memory of it, maybe) and it's just generally lovely. Christmas Day tends to fall far short of it, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

I much prefer xmas eve to xmas day aswell,when i lived away from home it was the morning for making the journey home and its my little brothers(well not so little anymore 18th this year :() birthday so always made that little bit more exciting, my mam always does a ''special'' birthday brunch for him and so all the family come home in time for that, then its off into town for a look around, listen to the carol singers,see friends and family who are home for the holidays before headin to visit aunts uncles etc. I used always spend xmas eve then in the local pub with my cousins and dad but seein as i now have a 3 yr old and have broken up with his dad i spent last xmas eve in my own house with my little boy and his dad came to stay the night and do the whole santa thing with him on xmas morning. Dont know wats happening this year with him but hoping he will do his own thing so myself and my little man can go and stay in my parents rather then just going there on xmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weatherguy

I enjoy Xmas Eve more than any other day. It's the anticipation. It's like the world and all its problems stand still for those few days, beginning Christmas Eve.
    I usually rise early, have breakfast in Bewleys. Wander around Grafton street and the side streets, just listening to the children's excitement; adulst anxiously buying last minute pressies!!
    I sometimes just stroll around and stand still listening to some of the carols.
    Prefer traditional carols than Slade's Christmas song.
    I like Chris Rea's 'Driving home for Christmas'.
    I used meet my best friend for a drink at 12midday. He died of cancer.
    But I still toast him and think of him in the next world and what he might be doing Christmas Eve.
    I also toast my Mam. She passed away during Christmas at an early age.
    I visit her grave Christmas morning.
    When I come home, I light the fire and the candle in the window, turn on the Christmas tree lights, put on the CD of the Cambridge Christmas choir and have a drink allowing my mind to wander in all directions.
    I've all my pressies wrapped. I tend to think of the year just past and what lies ahead, of people past and present.
    After tea, I meet up with friends in our local pub and have a few drinks.
    Nothing too heavy. Done that and worn the t-shirt.
    Prefer to be sober without a headache for Xmas morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I have always loved Christmas Eve the excitement and anticipation. Now I love it even more my Daughter was born on xmas eve a couple of years ago. I'll never forget the sureal expierence while getting something to eat in Burger King on Grafton Street everyone was rushing around and getting their last bits and pieces and I was thinking about getting food quick so I could head back to the delievery suite, I knew that my present would trump all of theirs :)

Advertisement