Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Script running

Options
  • 22-09-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, am having problems with the site, where i have to reload the screen or allow unresponsive script to run. Not sure if this is down to changing the style I view the website in, have tried a few different ones including blue, classic and beta over the last two or three days and no improvment.

Sometimes i just have the boards blue backgrond, sometimes the dropdown menus at the top dont appear, promting me to reload, other times i get the unresponsive script as above.

Have tried finding the default style to see if this fixes the problem but cant find were on the site i select it to restore it.

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Does it always happen, or just occasionally?

What browser are you using?

The default skin is called "White".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Its happening probably every 3 to 5 times i click on a link on the site, ie new posts, selecting one of the drop downs, selecting a forum, responding to a post etc. Have switched to the white skin, since going from the home page, to my page, viewing my posts and makeing this repsonce, i have had to reload/allow script to load twice. I'm using IE7.

That problem is due to your browser not being able to run some JavaScript fast enough. This can happen due to either:
    1. A bug in the JavaScript causing it to run very slowly.
    2. Your machine + browser being old and not capable of handling the JavaScript.
    3. Your machine is busy in the background and hence the amount of CPU available for the browser to run Javascript is not enough.

Since this is not happening for me even when running a slow browser (Firefox with a large bunch of extensions) on a relatively old machine (4 year-old MacBook) nor does it happen even when running the site on my phone, I'm going to assume that it's not option 1.

I can get it to happen if I have 10+ tabs of boards.ie open in Firefox with Firebug enabled on all of them, but that's something of an edge case.

If IE is your favourite browser, I'd advise you to upgrade to IE8. If you're willing to try something new, I'd recommend Google Chrome. Both IE8 and Google Chrome will run Javascript significantly faster than IE7 and may make this problem go away.

If you have any toolbars installed for IE, disable the ones you don't use.

Other than that, I'd go through the usual "why is my computer slow?" checklist: check for unwanted/unused background programs, virus check, spyware check, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Conor wrote: »
    That problem is due to your browser not being able to run some JavaScript fast enough. This can happen due to either:
    1. A bug in the JavaScript causing it to run very slowly.
    2. Your machine + browser being old and not capable of handling the JavaScript.
    3. Your machine is busy in the background and hence the amount of CPU available for the browser to run Javascript is not enough.

Other than that, I'd go through the usual "why is my computer slow?" checklist: check for unwanted/unused background programs, virus check, spyware check, etc.

I've been experiencing the same issue all day. IE7 (at work) can't upgrade, unfortunately.

Oddly, this has only manifested today and the only app currently running in the background is Outlook (P4 @ 3.00Ghz/1GB RAM - surely that's fast enough).

EDIT: Updated with the latest JRE. I'll see how it goes. :)

I've been experiencing the same issue all day.

Any pattern to it?
    IE7 (at work) can't upgrade, unfortunately.

At least it isn't IE6 I suppose. :(
    Oddly, this has only manifested today and the only app currently running in the background is Outlook (P4 @ 3.00Ghz/1GB RAM - surely that's fast enough).

Should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Conor wrote: »
    Any pattern to it?

Not really, Conor. It was pretty much random, but thinking back it wasn't just boards.ie that was giving issues (BBC threw a wobbler too).

Hopefully, the latest JRE will sort it.

Not really, Conor. It was pretty much random, but thinking back it wasn't just boards.ie that was giving issues (BBC through a wobbler too).

Hopefully, the latest JRE will sort it.

The JRE will have no impact on JavaScript performance unfortunately. JavaScript != Java.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

hmm, still having issue with this, have gone back to the default skin, have done a full scan using my own AV and an online one, both clear. have updated to IE8, java is upto date, have nothing else running bar five tabs, this, another forum, FB, and two email accounts.

still the same problem, every few clicks on a link, either just the blue background, or page opens as normal but without the drop downs, or script not repsonding causing machine to run slow (desribed it differently earlier, sorry).

has only been affecting boards.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement