Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Out

Options
  • 22-09-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Moving out of rented accomodation at the end of the month and asked the landlord to come and view the property at the end of the month and return the deposit. Have been on ptrb and threshold and seems that there are only three reasons a deposiit (or a portion of it) can be withheld; outstanding rent, outstanding bills, damage to property beyond reasonable wear and tear.

2 questions

is it definately not appropriate to retain any of the deposit as a cleaning fee, i will clean it before we move in.

i expect to get the deposit back from the landlord after inspection but i have a feeling they will say it will be forwarded on. in the current climate, we would find it tough to extract the deposit after handing keys back. Any advice on this appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Make it clear you expect the deposit at key handover (politely), and that you will bring proof that bills are up-to-date, as well as furnishing a forwarding address for any issues which may come up.

I am a LL and handed over deposit at key handover to my last tenant, as place was spotless and they had always paid on time, so didn't expect any outstanding bills or anything. I find it easier that way, everything is done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

silja wrote: »
    Make it clear you expect the deposit at key handover (politely), and that you will bring proof that bills are up-to-date, as well as furnishing a forwarding address for any issues which may come up.

I am a LL and handed over deposit at key handover to my last tenant, as place was spotless and they had always paid on time, so didn't expect any outstanding bills or anything. I find it easier that way, everything is done and dusted.

agree entirely, make sure your LL knows you'll be looking to have the deposit in cash when you hand over the keys - and i would ask the LL to pop round at least two weeks before the end of the tenancy so you can tell them in person,as well as getting them to identify anything that might be a problem rather than find out on the day.

have all your bills up to date and ready for inspection - if your LL knows you want your cash back on the day, the place is clear of your things, is clean (normal, 'reasonably' clean, not professional clean), and you can show that there's no money outstanding, he'll have no choice but to return your money on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Your landlord is not obliged to hand over the deposit on your moving out day. You cannot insist on this but do feel free to suggest it.

No it's not appropriate for deposit to be withheld for cleaning bills.

Advertisement