Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite/Most effective salmon spinning lure

Options
  • 22-09-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Whats your favourite/most effective spinning lure?
    mine is a size 5 mepps: silver with blue spots for springers & copper later on in the season?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I am by no means an accomplished salmon angler. You could got on my two hands the amount i have got in an angling career and most of them were accidental while fishing for trout/seatrout.

Of the ones that were caught 'on purpose', they were all taken on a flying c. The lads i know who fish for salmon frequently rarely employ anything else. Black flying c for clear water. Yellow flying c in a flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Hey seafields
    I started off with flying C,s in a range of different colours never actually caught a salmon on one but caught plenty of large brownies on them.
    find I can spin all day with the mepps whereas you would be wrecked after an hour spinning with a size 5 flying C.

any joy spinning for sea trout?
    if so what were you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

TimMac wrote: »

Off the top of my head and I dont think I'm far wrong but I have never caught a seatrout on anything other than a fly! There could be worse complaints to have!

I have never caught a sea trout!
    I have spun past them before & tried every type of spinner they just dont seem inclined to take.
    Hopefully that will all change now that I have a fly rod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Hey seafields
    I started off with flying C,s in a range of different colours never actually caught a salmon on one but caught plenty of large brownies on them.
    find I can spin all day with the mepps whereas you would be wrecked after an hour spinning with a size 5 flying C.

I remember a Tasmanian Devil being good for sea trout. Flying C's are great for salmon, but a lot of it is self fulfilling prophecy. If everyone hears about a lure being good then they start using it and the chances are fish willl be caught on it.

• Advertisement

very true, i only ever use tazzies for rainbows never thought of using em in the river

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Is it true that the colour red makes fish more aggressive?

I dont think so id say thats bulls your thinking of ;)
    Im open to correction but I doubt it, the biggest killer of salmon is the black & silver flying C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

I dont think so id say thats bulls your thinking of ;)
    Im open to correction but I doubt it, the biggest killer of salmon is the black & silver flying C
    Cheers, a lad told me that years ago but i was always suspicious ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Black flying c with a copper spoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Rycn wrote: »
    Is it true that the colour red makes fish more aggressive?

Well orange flies are supposed to work better late in the season.
    I was reading somewhere about pacific salmon fishing in the US, someone reckoned that shortly after entering fresh water the fish start deteriorating (if you seen the shows of salmon runs in Alaska ypu'll knwo what I mean) and something happens their eye sight which messes with their color filter and the fish tend to see different colors like purple and red easier.
    I wonder would somethign like this apply to Atlantic Salmon.

See paragraph 5.
    http://www.letsflyfish.com/autumnsalmon.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

back flying sea wth silver spoon and red flying sea and copper spoon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

only reason the black is so successful is because everybody uses it. the other colours work the same... just like the colour of the blade it doesnt matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

no not because everyone is using black, theres no smoke without fire, salmon and trout see black well in clear water, how many flies also have black in the dressing? My fav is black flying C with silver or copper wing in clear water, if a bit dirty red or yellow with silver wing....i remember when the flying C hit ireland first all there was was fawn ones and now these days i dont see many using the fawn ones....the new silver bullet things are very good and will replace the flying Cs to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I get fish on black and silver in a filthy flood. And yellow and red works in clear water...

It really doesnt matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Rolla type flying "C" for the spring & floods usually black or red with silver blade,

http://www.rollafishing.com/accueil-a.htm

natural black or red normal flying "C" for the rest ....

Advertisement