Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re: child not listening in the class

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Actually, the Dept Ed & Science is considering moving to a minimum age of five on the basis of extensive international research showing that children do better when formal schooling is delayed until they are six.
    What?? I'll have to read up on this

There's another thread in the parenting forum discussing the importance of preschool in setting kids up for 'big' school. Being younger than their classmates can lead to them developing poor self-esteeem or to being labelled as problematic, something that can follow them for the rest of their school days. Early testing for disorders such as dyslexia or dyscalculia (which can't in any case be properly detected until a child is about 8) can set a child up to fail when in fact all they need is a bit more time.

Like I said, some kids do absolutely fine starting young (I was 4 and one month myself when I started and I was grand) but there is a move to delaying the start of schooling and those who do begin younger may be left at a disadvantage. I won't be starting my own son until he is five and a bit.

It's amazing that everyone here thinks low self esteem will result. People I spoke to recently agreed it would be better for the child socially with older influences.
    :confused:
    I don't think there's any rush but everyone focuses on making sure children are fulfilled socially: it can be JUST as important to make sure they're stimulated mentally/academically also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's amazing that everyone here thinks low self esteem will result. People I spoke to recently agreed it would be better for the child socially with older influences.
    :confused:

There is of course research which shows advantages to having mixed-age groups in early education. Outside of educational settings, such as within the family or within a community, most peer groups that form spontaneously will have a mix of ages within them.

The reasoning behind having homogeneous age groupings in classes is related to the idea of 'social promotion' - that a child may be stigmatised if they are seperated from their same-age peers and so should stay with children their own age regardless of academic ability. This is why holding a child back is quite rare in Irish schools (it does happen) unless the child is young or the class into which they will be placed has an existing mix of ages.

Clearly this can be problematic for children who learn at either a much faster or slower pace than the majority, but this is why early years settings are so important (potential problems can be spotted and dealt with before the child enters formal schooling) and why teacher training in relation to blended learning and teaching of mixed ability classes is so important.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't think there's any rush but everyone focuses on making sure children are fulfilled socially: it can be JUST as important to make sure they're stimulated mentally/academically also.

At four, there is a limit to how much academic fulfillment a child can get from learning ABCs, maths and the like. They are just as able to be fulfilled through play-centred learning which focuses on development of fine and gross motor skills (making jigsaws, playing with lego, dance etc). For the under-5s, these skills are much more appropriate than spellings and sums and give a strong base for more formal learning once they progress to that level.

Good early years education will not leave a child bored.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The DES does not encourage any child to stay back because of age.Generally ,there has to be a specific learning difficulty for a child to be "kept back."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

My experience with Junior and Senior Infant teachers is that they bring potential problems to your attention early so that a) you know how your child is doing in her new environment and b) so that if there is a genuine problem that they cannot be accused of sitting on it till the problem becomes to big to ignore. This is fair enough.

It may be an idea to ask for a meeting with the teacher where you, the teacher and child are altogether and it can be explained to the child the standard of behaviour expected of her in her new school/class. Your little one may find it difficult to understand her teacher's instructions and maybe even her accent and if you are in a position to translate as the teacher speaks it may help your child be aware of what is expected of her.

She may also find the Junior Infant program of learning a bit boring if she is quick. I remember being able to read fluently very soon into JI and the teacher would not let me read anything but the Dick & Jane book being used so I used to mess because I was bored witless.

Only one of my children didn't attend two years of Montessori prior to beginning primary school and he found it very difficult to settle and blend in. Luckily we used to live down the road from the school because I'd get a phone call at 10.00 every morning and be asked nicely to take him home and settle him down before bringing him back because nobody could hear or concentrate over his bawling. The Principal admitted that teaching staff had lost the knack of handling kids who took a while to get used to the discipline of school because they were so few of them nowadays. He was the only one of 30 in his class that hadn't been to creche/daycare/Montessori or similar.

Don't get too worried by it all. It is a big adjustment for her. As for staying back, there is no stigma attached to it and remember by the time people reckon this recession will be ending she will be in 2nd Year in secondary and if she needs to stay back it will mean she will have a better chance of getting the university place of her choice when the time comes or a job. :D

ETA: Missed the OP's post where he said she was doing fine now. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

OP Here again,

I am so delighted that my daughter will be going to senior infants in two months time. Had some fantastic reviews by teacher and excellent results in the exam. Her not speaking English is a history now...so proud of her...cant believe now she was told at that time that she might have to repeat the year..its all over now.

aspasp1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

aspasp1 wrote: »
    OP Here again,

I am so delighted that my daughter will be going to senior infants in two months time. Had some fantastic reviews by teacher and excellent results in the exam. Her not speaking English is a history now...so proud of her...cant believe now she was told at that time that she might have to repeat the year..its all over now.

aspasp1

Great news, delighted for you....

Advertisement