Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Improvements to the game

• 22-09-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭

This thread is an attempt at some reasoned discussion about what rational improvements and changes can be made to football. Arising from so many clubs in financial difficulty including historically the two biggest teams in the English game, footballers in the headlines for all sorts of misdemeanors etc.

Seeing as I've started I might aswell offer my opinion -

* Cap on wages of apprentices/youths/players up to the age of 20. - Perhaps echoing the points of Tony Carr, Rio Ferdinand and Martin Allen about how youngsters should still have to learn the values that many of the older and ex-pro's learned by doing the boot/ground cleaning and programme selling. So many of the footballers emerging and getting too much too young and with so much money and no street-wise they're throwing it all all sorts of vices and becoming walking ego's.

I'll add others later.. any opinions? (Please give an explanation of your point of view)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Getting Platini to fúck off would be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

More referees :pac:

Actually, I think the cap on wages is about the best idea. The technology dispute will rage on as long as it isnt introduced, and even if certain technology is introduced you can be sure something will be missed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ban the loaning of players under the age of 23.

After match video review panel for bad tackles with banning rights.

Video technology.

Typical Arsenal fan.:rolleyes:*

*I joke, I joke.=P

I'd agree with video technology and reviewing tackles/cards etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Video technology.

The one in the middle is one that could definitely be looked into, but not only the bad tackles but diving/cheating. I think it was Gianfranco Zola that said that the rule should be made that if a player dives/cheats in order to win a penalty/get a player carded and he doesn't say to the ref "look I dived" then he can be reviewed and banned if necessary.

Also, why would you be against the loaning of players under 23?

• Advertisement

The one in the middle is one that could definitely be looked into, but not only the bad tackles but diving/cheating. I think it was Gianfranco Zola that said that the rule should be made that if a player dives/cheats in order to win a penalty/get a player carded and he doesn't say to the ref "look I dived" then he can be reviewed and banned if necessary.

Also, why would you be against the loaning of players under 23?

Is that not condoning diving, though?

baz2009 wrote: »
    Is that not condoning diving, though?

In what way? If he gets up after diving and tells the ref "I dived", then the penalty isn't given and a free kick is awarded with no card to the offending player. If he doesn't admit to it then he receives a ban.

Of course, players will continue to dive anyways because winning games is what matters I guess, but at least they'll be punished for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Video technology.

1st = Dont know why you are against that, I think it helps both clubs, parent club gets to see if there youngster can hack it and club loaning get a decent prospect for free, and in most cases dont pay any or much of the wages.

2nd = Good idea, an independent commission to deal with bad tackles and also, call the referee that was in charge before the panel to see if he would change his mind. I wouldnt hold the ref accountable, just get his opinion on it again.
    3rd = Good idea, within reason, I would hate to rely to much on Video Technology.

Good ideas though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Some suggestions ...

• Bring the game into the modern day inclusive of Technology (eg) Eagle eye ..Dissallowed goals , penos , diving etc etc
    • Stop tinkering with the footballs.
    • Have a European wage cap , or a clubs wage bill capped at a certain % of out goings .
    • Remove the transfer window , only adds to panic buying thus inflated transfer fees .
    • Remove every board member from FIFA starting with Bellend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Wages Caps are needed, they're in the LoI but are broken pretty easily.

One I'd add is a certain number of International players should have to be chosen from the National Leagues, would keep better players at home and would lead to better leagues, would benefit the leagues in Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Brazil, Portugal, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Really, this is one of the ways a lot of players improve when they are in the late teens \ early twenties, and not quite good enough for the normal first team but too good for the likes of the reserves \ youth teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

One rule I always thought would benefit soccer is the Gah one where you get a free kick where the ball lands after a late tackle. Might cut some late crunchers out of the game.

In what way? If he gets up after diving and tells the ref "I dived", then the penalty isn't given and a free kick is awarded with no card to the offending player. If he doesn't admit to it then he receives a ban.

Of course, players will continue to dive anyways because winning games is what matters I guess, but at least they'll be punished for it.

Ah I get ya now, I thought it was like after the penalty was scored the diver went up to the ref and said something like "Ha, I dived there." after the game had been restarted etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Getting Platini to fúck off would be a start.

Why ? How would that help ?

greendom wrote: »
    Why ? How would that help ?

Because he's the one opposing everything that might help the game to progress into the 21st century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Wages Caps are needed, they're in the LoI but are broken pretty easily.

One I'd add is a certain number of International players should have to be chosen from the National Leagues, would keep better players at home and would lead to better leagues, would benefit the leagues in Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Brazil, Portugal, etc...

how would it do that?

Because he's the one opposing everything that might help the game to progress into the 21st century.

I think his plans to control the finances of club sides are a great idea. As to video technology, I'm suprised at his stance on it but the 5 officials idea should be given a proper chance and used in a major competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

wtf? why? thats how young players get their experience in first team football for the most part:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Blanket ban on players talking back to officials would be a start. Introduce a new rule stipulating a straight red for any rants and back chat to the ref and introduce a bit of respect. What other sports have the level of this football has? Has to be stopped as it’s already happening at underage etc..

Loaning under 23 players out is just another way that big clubs maintain their stranglehold.

It enables them to hoover up the top talents for peanuts and loan them out until they're ready for the first team. If it wasn't allowed they'd be forced to either a) play them and risk the points losses that come from blooding youngsters or b) not hoover them up in the first place. It'd enable the smaller teams to hold onto their youngsters, because the youngsters would know that they'd have a better chance of progressing where they are... then they can move to the top clubs later for a big fee, if they wish, and the small club gets its fair reward.

• Advertisement

No, it'd just result in weaker national teams. No player is gonna turn down a fat cheque abroad just so that he can play for the national team... or very few, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Loaning under 23 players out is just another way that big clubs maintain their stranglehold.

It enables them to hoover up the top talents for peanuts and loan them out until they're ready for the first team. If it wasn't allowed they'd be forced to either a) play them and risk the points losses that come from blooding youngsters or b) not hoover them up in the first place. It'd enable the smaller teams to hold onto their youngsters, because the youngsters would know that they'd have a better chance of progressing where they are... then they can move to the top clubs later for a big fee, if they wish, and the small club gets its fair reward.

what about teams down the divisions?

We loan young players out too you know

its a nonsense suggestion that would do nothing other than hamper the progression of young players even more than cheap foreign imports does

If there's a club willing to play a young player, they should have his registration. The loan system just allows the parent club to reap the bulk of the benefits without the bulk of the risk.

fkiely wrote: »
    Blanket ban on players talking back to officials would be a start. Introduce a new rule stipulating a straight red for any rants and back chat to the ref and introduce a bit of respect. What other sports have the level of this football has? Has to be stopped as it’s already happening at underage etc..

At underage especially it should be a card for dissent and a report sent into the FA if it's constant.

Fair enough you're going to get frustrated at times but blaming referee's is simply deflecting blame.

No, it'd just result in weaker national teams. No player is gonna turn down a fat cheque abroad just so that he can play for the national team... or very few, anyway.

Unless, it was a case that international squads were extended to 28-30 and 5 home grown players were to be included in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I like the idea that only captains should speak with referee. Yellow card offense if anyone else does.

If there's a club willing to play a young player, they should have his registration. The loan system just allows the parent club to reap the bulk of the benefits without the bulk of the risk.

its unworkable though

the loan system is fine, if anything id have the opposite of your suggestion - no loan deals for players OVER 23

Helix wrote: »
    its unworkable though
    Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

* Cap on wages of apprentices/youths/players up to the age of 20. - Perhaps echoing the points of Tony Carr, Rio Ferdinand and Martin Allen about how youngsters should still have to learn the values that many of the older and ex-pro's learned by doing the boot/ground cleaning and programme selling.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You think young players can learn values of some sort from the player who missed a drugs test cos he was "shopping"?

Good one.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

You think young players can learn values of some sort from the player who missed a drugs test cos he was "shopping"?

Good one.

How fcuking long ago was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Good one.
    I'm sure you've never forgot to do anything in your life, he did a hair fibre test which proved that he hadn't taken drugs in 6 months and was unjustly made an example of. Your talking out of your arse in that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Cut out half a team surrounding a ref motioning for a card, not only sets a bad example for the youngsters but also makes referees look weaker. Only Captains should be allowed talk to the ref, works well in other sports no reason why it would not work in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Not in favour of any limits on player movement or earning potential.

Making clubs spend responsibly, is something worth looking at though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Liam O wrote: »
    I'm sure you've never forgot to do anything in your life, he did a hair fibre test which proved that he hadn't taken drugs in 6 months and was unjustly made an example of. Your talking out of your arse in that post.

I'm talking out of my arse by stating fact? :rolleyes:

Wasn't Ferdinand also the one organising all the groupies to come down to the players hotel for their chrimbo piss up when one of the players ended up on (false) rape allegations?

A real role model. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Wasn't Ferdinand also the one organising all the groupies to come down to the players hotel for their chrimbo piss up when one of the players ended up on (false) rape allegations?

He organised a party? Oooooh what a cúnt. Honestly, do you believe what you're typing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭pavb2

Scrap the offside rule, would make the game simpler and fewer stoppages.

There are probably a lot of other pros & cons, would the game become more attacking or defensive?

Any chance of staying on topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Stop making players leave the pitch for every little tap/injury ,allow the trainers/medics treat small incidents on the pitch and simply play around them by all right stop the game for head and serious looking injuries.
    Would help the game flow IMHO.
    Before people say it would be to hard to tell the difference .You can always tell the bad ones by the others players reactions ,
    Just sick to death of player been tackled , acting like their shot ,at death's door ,walk to the sideline ,and (miracle :rolleyes:) been fit/really to come straight back ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

UEFA could introduce the 25-man squad rule into every top tier league in Europe & Ban loans in the top 2 leagues of any country.

That should stop clubs stockpiling players, its happening everywhere and its ruining lots of leagues.

EPL want to bring in a ban on loans, hope they do. Loaning is currently just outlet for big clubs stockpiling young players and lots of them. e.g. Arsenal have 6 players out on loan, Chelsea have 9 out on loan. They are the 1st 2 clubs I googled to check for examples. Its not confined to the EPL and dont get me started on the farce that is co-ownership in Italy

Referee's should have the power to review video evidence after a match to see if a player has lied/conned them. The onus would be on players to give honest accounts of incidents and weed out diving. Severe sanctions against players and clubs should be available.

As said, only captains and players involved in incidents should be allowed to approach the referee over said incident.

Think those along with the financial fair play rules would go along way to improving the game as a sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

(1) Being allowed to assault an opponent who dives.

(2) Being allowed to assault pundits who talk b******s.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

orourkeda wrote: »
    Bohs winning the champions league would be awesome for football.
    Then I'd wake up :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

orourkeda wrote: »
    (1) Being allowed to assault an opponent who dives.

Following on from that if a player breaks an opponents leg, his own leg should be broken.

Being serious for a moment though, much more severe bans should be invoked for serious and reckless fouls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The reason that the 5 refs in a game set up is preferrable over most technology is that the 5 ref set-up can be used all the way down to Sunday league level whereas video technology can't. The idea is to have a system set up that can cover all games not just the games in the top leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

This thread is an attempt at some reasoned discussion about what rational improvements and changes can be made to football. Arising from so many clubs in financial difficulty including historically the two biggest teams in the English game, footballers in the headlines for all sorts of misdemeanors etc.
    that has nothing to do with the game as far as im concerned?
    what do you want changed there? chastity belts?!

a player should be banned for as long as the player he injured is out for, if dangerous play is deemed to be intentional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Helix wrote: »
    a player should be banned for as long as the player he injured is out for, if dangerous play is deemed to be intentional

In that case yer man who fouled Messi would only get two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Can you let me know what Platini is doing wrong that is "opposing everything that might help the game to progress into the 21st century"

flahavaj wrote: »
    In that case yer man who fouled Messi would only get two games.

then we'll add in the caveat that its the length of the injury or a time decided on by an independent panel if the length of the injury is not sufficient

gustavo wrote: »
    Can you let me know what Platini is doing wrong that is "opposing everything that might help the game to progress into the 21st century"

Not allowing video technology.

• Advertisement
Advertisement