Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Improvements to the game

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Rightly so I think (I'm assuming you're serious at this point). There's not a massive advantage - it's not like it prevents a goal if the ball's going to hit you in the face anyway.

Because you're punishing something unintentional. It's a rule against 'deliberate handball' but you want that to change. And as has been said, in some situations (not all) it could encourage 'drawing the foul' by playing ball to hand (or face, if you have your way fully).

If you want to eliminate the grey areas, then possibly a rule that would make handball a foul if the hand moves to the ball would work. I just can't agree with punishing players who haven't moved their hands, or who have only moved their hands to protect their face (as I said, the ball is going to hit their face anyway).

As I have said in discussions with previous posters intention is NOT the fundamental yardstick of what is and what isnt legal in association football. You will see a number of unfortunate tackles in any game which will be deemed fouls on the basis that the player fails to get to the ball as his legs are not long enough, or he has mistimed the tackle. The offside rule is hinged on a lack of intention, as most forwards will make a mistake as to the timing of their runs, or they will misjudge timing as they return from an offside position. In both cases there was no intention to commit a foul, but as a result of what has transpired, they have committed an indiscretion.

The reason I am open to penalising players who raise their hands to protect their faces is based on the fact that it is a minority situation relative to the number of unintentional handballs which take place in football games. If you wish to be consistent, all handballs must be penalised. As I have said, the standard which I have suggested exists in other sports, and it has not ground the sport to a standstill. It would work in football. It would give clarity to a rather unclear situation, and it would also ensure that the play will be conscious of where he puts his hands in games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Just to be clear, you haven't given any empirical evidence either.

It's still your opinion, even if you are comparing it with a rule from another sport.

How would it differ fromt the other sport I have mentioned ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Het-Field wrote: »
    As I have said in discussions with previous posters intention is NOT the fundamental yardstick of what is and what isnt legal in association football.
    Yes but unintentional bad tackles are punished for being reckless. And it's still deliberate in that the tackler intentionally puts their foot there, just as the forward intentionally is in an offside position. They don't intend it to be illegal but they've chosen to act a certain way. I don't think the same applies to handball.
    How would it differ fromt the other sport I have mentioned ?
    I've no idea. And neither do you... that's my point. You haven't given any of the empirical evidence you're asking others for, just another opinion. Empirical evidence would be "this rule has improved hockey by a factor of X" or "FIFA trials showed that such and such". Saying a similar rule exists in hockey isn't evidence for or against it, and it's certainly not empirical.

Anyway, I think we're both around Boards long enough to know when two people probably just aren't going to agree so I think we may as well just leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭pavb2

Others have touched on it but the Europa cup competition format is a bit is messy I would go back to a cup competition or try similar format to Champions league and I don't agree with teams knocked out from CL going into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

adox wrote: »
    One change I'd like to see is automatic yellow cards for dissent. I'm sick of seeing players scowling in the ref or lines mans face when they don't agree with a decision. The difference between soccer and rugby in this regard is astonishing.

Also I saw a video of a trial FIFA did in some minor league regarding free kicks and walls. Now I'm not taking the piss and I'll dig it up later when I'm not on a handheld device, but basically the ref had a small can of spray paint on his waist and when there was a free kick and a wall, he paced the 10 yards and sprayed a line in the grass. The wall had to stay behind the line or the player/s would be booked. The paint was water based and disappeared after a couple of minutes. I know it sounds ridiculous but it seemed to speed things up.

Agree with the top suggestion.

As for the bottom one :pac: With all the things referees need we better get them one of these soon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Stopping FAI being such tight fisted bastards would be a start

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

adox wrote: »
    One change I'd like to see is automatic yellow cards for dissent. I'm sick of seeing players scowling in the ref or lines mans face when they don't agree with a decision. The difference between soccer and rugby in this regard is astonishing.

Do refs not already have the power to give a booking for this, consistency is what we need with regards this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

mixednuts wrote: »
    • Stop tinkering with the footballs.
    + 100 on this. Wonder if fifa will be more strict after a poor world cup?

I'd like to see a sin bin for yellow cards. And yellow card for diving enforced. In ice hockey if a player is legitimately fouled, the guy who did it is sent to the bin. But if the ref thinks the player fouled has made too much of it, he's sent to the bin too. Still a free kick/penalty, but both players off.

Sepp Blatter and John Delaney should both be shot.

A straight red card and 3 match ban for diving would be interesting :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Kind of interesting that so many ideas are about video technology, salary caps, loan arrangements etc.

And all of these, if implemented, would only affect the .001% of games that are played at the highest professional level, and would have no effect on the games that the other 99.999% of people play at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Allocate more money to the UEFA cup and less to the CL make both competitions winner-takes-all.
    Teams would no longer be able to bank on income from Europe and spend it stupidly.
    Similarly with the Premiership, split the money evenly between all teams taking part and filter more down to the lower leagues.

The glory of winning should be enough encouragement for teams to do well.

Advertisement