Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very high level of aluminum discovered in baby formulas !!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Jumbo156 wrote: »
    To be honest I am sick to the teeth of all the scare mongering going around about what is good for our babies and what isn't.
    If we wanted to, we could google every single thing we give our children and we would find some study somewhere telling us it's bad for our children.

It's not scare-mongering. Scaremongering is making a big deal out of nothing. This isn't nothing, it is an ongoing breach of standards by big business. Some parents want to be up to date on research and don't trust big business to keep what is best for babies as a priority ahead of what is best for shareholders. Other parents trust big business to do what is right without feeling the need to question. Your call as to which you want to be, but no need to diss the research just because you fall into the latter category.
    Sure werent we told for years that the 5 in 1 was wrong. There was hysteria because people believed the "doctor". Why did they believe him? because he said so and it was on the internet. Where is he now, disbarred ( or whatever happens to inept doctors).

Yes and foolish parents trusted the internet rather than reading the research for themselves, in which case they would have seen that every doctor and researcher apart from Dr MMR was saying that the vaccine was safe. I is possible for the lay person to distinguish between good and bad research, you don't need a university education, just to be able to read and a certain level of analytical ability.
    If all baby formula is dangerous, what are we to do. Not everyone is able to breastfeed, FACT.

Write to the FSAI. Ask them to clarify. If they say it's safe, then you have no worries, and they will be liable for any health problems that do arise. If they are not willing to accept that liability, then something is clearly wrong and the FSAI can be pressed to put pressure on the formula manufacturers to make a safer product.

For those who do have a choice (like myself, using the odd bit of formula when it's handier than cows milk), this research highlights the benefits of giving up formula altogether. That's good to know.
    What's the bets that some company comes up with a new aluminium free formula for about twice the price and they will be heroes, only to be found out after a few years that, em, it's not actually aluminium free and by the way, the old ones didn't do any harm anyway....

Aluminium in the food chain can cause neurological damage. People can read the research and decide for themselves if it is an acceptable level of risk. That is not scaremongering, it is providing information that formula companies would prefer remained obscure and unknown.
    Anyways, I have 2 perfectly healthy lads, both formula fed and I won't be losing any sleep over another "Scare" from another study.

Good for you.

lynski wrote: »
    If there is a report to show all things fed to children can be bad, find me the breast feeding one please?

I really don't like this becoming a formula v breastfeeding thread. This is about unsafe standards in baby food and the way forward is to encourage people to contact the FSAI demanding public clarification on whether it is safe or not and and to demand better standards and more transparency from formula companies. I think it is unhelpful to get caught up in the boob v bottle thing - most babies in Ireland are formula fed, so this affects their health and should be brought to wider public attention.

[wrings hands] will no one think of the children...[/swoon]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

If all baby formula is dangerous, what are we to do. Not everyone is able to breastfeed, FACT.

I agree with Cat that this shouldn't erode into a bottle vs breast debate, but the FACT remains that if formula is "dangerous", and the mom can't (or won't) breastfeed, there is option #3...express and/or import breastmilk from the national milk drive.

That said, I thank the OP for bringing this topic to light (in a non-scaremongering way). It is up to concerned parents to push companies into making healthy products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Ayla wrote: »
    I agree with Cat that this shouldn't erode into a bottle vs breast debate, but the FACT remains that if formula is "dangerous", and the mom can't (or won't) breastfeed, there is option #3...express and/or import breastmilk from the national milk drive.

That's grand for new mothers who have the opportunity or for recent mums who can relactate, but it doesn't help those who have children aged, say, 4 weeks plus who have been formula fed from the outset or who switched over after the first few weeks. Of 75,000 babies born a year in Ireland, 72% are being fed formula at or from 4 weeks (according to the Irish Medical Times). By 6 months, 90.4% are on formula. There is not enough breastmilk banked in the country (and possibly all of Europe) to supply all of the babies who would need it to bring them to the 12 month mark.

Yes, I agree breastfeeding should be the norm, no question of that, but it's not yet and that makes it even more important that this issue receive more public attention than it is currently receiving.

Advertisement