Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calibrating a scope

Options
  • 22-09-2010 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

whats the best procedure for calibrating a scope for actual bullet drop against ballistic data given by a program like jbm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Hi
    Firstly you'll need to fire your selected gun & round through a chronograph to determine the actual velocity of the bullet. Bullet manufacturers tend to tell fibs about the true speed of their bullets to give the shooter the impression that they go quicker and drop less over distance. Once this is done decide the point blank zero of your quarry (size of the vitals zone of your target). So say for example a .223 50 grain rem round travels @ 3300 fps muzzle velocity, if zeroed @ 200 yards it'll be -0.1 inches @ 100 yards and -2.6 inches @ 250 yards. So if your hunting a fox and usually take chest shots then it drop him without any adjustment out to 250 yards. But the main thing is knowing the true velocity of your bullet. I have found ballistic calculators fine to get you close but actually firing them in the field will give you your true moa clicks that you can rely upon time after time.
    I haven’t factored wind, angle of the shot etc as that’s stuff you figure out as your going along.
    I hope this helps,
    Cheers
    Slug Chucker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

declan1980 wrote: »
    whats the best procedure for calibrating a scope for actual bullet drop against ballistic data given by a program like jbm?

Let me know how you get on, a fellow "boards.ie" member is selling me a ballistics calc.
    I pulled off a personal best today, a bunny 457 yards!
    Although I aimed head and hit him in the shoulders.

I want to improve on this and hope the calc will be of assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

If you're not going down the point blank zero route AND don't have access to a chronograph I'd advise the following

Get the manufacturers data (ballistic coefficient and muzzle velocity) and put it into the calculator. Print the drop chart

Then go to the range with the chart and check the chart for accuracy. If it is slightly off then increase or decrease the muzzle velocity in the calculator until you get a decent match to bullet performance.

It might still be off by a click or 2 but you can fine tune as you shoot more and more.

That's a quick and easy way to go about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Let me know how you get on, a fellow "boards.ie" member is selling me a ballistics calc.
    I pulled off a personal best today, a bunny 457 yards!
    Although I aimed head and hit him in the shoulders.

I want to improve on this and hope the calc will be of assistance

jesus, that was some shot lad. was that with the 308 or the 223?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

jesus, that was some shot lad. was that with the 308 or the 223?

.223, I'll post pics later on the photos thread.
    I actually brought the camera to take a decent pic.
    I have a couple of places where decent shots are offered at decent ranges. Rabbits don't often oblige though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Vegeta wrote: »
    If you're not going down the point blank zero route AND don't have access to a chronograph I'd advise the following

Get the manufacturers data (ballistic coefficient and muzzle velocity) and put it into the calculator. Print the drop chart

Then go to the range with the chart and check the chart for accuracy. If it is slightly off then increase or decrease the muzzle velocity in the calculator until you get a decent match to bullet performance.

It might still be off by a click or 2 but you can fine tune as you shoot more and more.

That's a quick and easy way to go about it
    Thats the method I used for my 300 winmag using nightforce ballistics program,which is exbal with a few extra features....
    I had to increase the muzzle velocity by 80 fps to get the actual trajectory..
    Most programs will need tweaking...It can be done by changing muzzle velocity or changing the BC to match your actual trajectory..

Advertisement