Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another food spoilage question - chicken

Options
  • 22-09-2010 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

I bought a chicken on Sunday and the best before date says 25th Sept. It's been in a cold fridge since Sunday but when I took it out to quarter it it doesn't smell great. Why is this? The packaging says 25th Sept but should I consider it gone off?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If it smells bad I'd consider it to be gone off. This has happened to me before - chickens keep better if you take them out of their packaging and wrap them in tinfoil, although I once had one go off before the use by date even though it was wrapped in foil.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

If it smells bad I'd consider it to be gone off. This has happened to me before - chickens keep better if you take them out of their packaging and wrap them in tinfoil, although I once had one go off before the use by date even though it was wrapped in foil.

I agree - your sense of smell is the best guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Smells bad -chuck it. Not worth the risk of food poisoning

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Don't chuck it, take it back to where you bought it from and complain - their food storage may not be optimum, and it's better that they know about it, and you're not left out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Darkginger wrote: »
    Don't chuck it, take it back to where you bought it from and complain - their food storage may not be optimum, and it's better that they know about it, and you're not left out of pocket.

This is a good point, a manufacturer will put a date on an item, and usually they take a bad case scenario, like a beer could be in the window of an offlicence getting loads of heat & sunlight. Stuff usually goes off exponentially faster with more heat. Many supermarkets have crappy open fridges and might not have them very cold to save on energy costs. If I get milk in supermarkets it is usually not cold enough for my liking, I cannot drink it right away. I like lidl as they have closed fridges & freezers for many items.

In tesco when I get ice cream from the freezer it is usually soft when I get home to eat it (I live very close so its like 2-3 minutes). I am often in this 24hr tesco late at night and see them leaving frozen stuff out on pallets with visibly wet patches on them, you sometimes see frozen "puddles" on pizza boxes which is a sign they have done this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement