Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel market

Options
  • 22-09-2010 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

have any of ye been there? its really cool, i bought soem lovely stuff down there a few weeks ago. i got a lovely little teddy for a euro for my daughter, it was brand new!! also had a cupcake that was absolutely to die for!!

i was so glad to see that it wasnt your usual carboot full of junk. anyone else been there? what did ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Its funny how people can have the complete opposite experience in the same place;)

I thought it was horrendous when i went, full of old tat! I spend the minimum 5 minutes in there walking around and could not get out fast enough.
    the cupcakes while they looked delicious were way too dear at €2 each.

maybe I hit it on a bad day as I generally love markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭lyndak082

ah well in fairness its a new market nad will take tim eto really get going ya know. i thought it was great! the town really needs it.

have you ever been to the one in kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Where is the 'Clonmel Market'?

Clonmel Market is in Dudleys Mills coleville Road on Sundays.

Yes you're right it has only started and in fairness I will give it another shot coming up to Xmas.
    Have been to KK Car boot sale - is that the one? I thought it was good, its been a few years since I was there. There is another very big one on the way to Cork, cant remember the name of it right now

no i was talking about anther one ive heard of inkilkenny on saturdays, i think its out the dublin road. similar to clonmel its indoors. may go and have alook some weekend.

also does anyone know about the mitchelstown one? i know someone who wants to take a stall there but cant find out who to contact??

• Advertisement

I think this is what your're talking about in KK

http://www.thehubkilkenny.ie/events/calendar.html

never been to it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

No I think it's the car boot sale just past Cuffesgrange that the poster is referring to, there's a signpost pointing off to the left if you are coming from Clonmel direction. I haven't been there in years we used to go all the time, it was €3 per car to get in last time I was there but I don't really appreciate having to shell out money before I bought anything.

There was a great garden centre in the middle of it, and coming up to Christmas you would be able to buy huge lights for outside the house. Another woman, fondly referred to by my family as Mrs Mouldy :D, used to sell out of date food from shops, mostly sweets and fizzy drinks.

no the hub is the one!! the one at cuffes grange was crap the last time i went, loads of junk, em overpriced junk!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

ppink wrote: »
    Its funny how people can have the complete opposite experience in the same place;)

I thought it was horrendous when i went, full of old tat! I spend the minimum 5 minutes in there walking around and could not get out fast enough.
    the cupcakes while they looked delicious were way too dear at €2 each.

maybe I hit it on a bad day as I generally love markets.

What did you do there for 5 whole minutes. I have called in there 3 times since it opened so I have given it a chance but its an awful waste of time. 7 or 8 stalls most of them selling around 10 pieces of second hand broken tat.

Its too out of the way so there is no passing traffic to attract customers and therefore sellers. The existing market in Fethard attracts all the established broken tat sellers and travellers in south tipp. Somehow that attracts a crowd so the clonmel market will really struggle to encourage sellers to note to then.

And in case anyone is confused this is not the same as the excellent (if small) Clonmel farmers market in St Peters and Paul school carpark on a saturday.

i was at clonmel market last sunday and i counted 28 stalls, so idunno if ye cant count or are exaggerating!! lol:P

• Advertisement

28:eek:

was this because it was car boot last weekend? when I went there were maybe 6?

lyndak082 wrote: »
    i was at clonmel market last sunday and i counted 28 stalls, so idunno if ye cant count or are exaggerating!! lol:P

28 stalls maybe but how many were occupied? Last time I was there it was no more than 8 with tat no them. I'm willing to go there tomorrow and report back. I'll be happy to be wrong but also very surprised.

touts wrote: »
    28 stalls maybe but how many were occupied? Last time I was there it was no more than 8 with tat no them. I'm willing to go there tomorrow and report back. I'll be happy to be wrong but also very surprised.

Look forward to hearing about it. Dont forget to get your €2 cupcake and not eat it too fast:p .
    I think the location will be a problem for this market, it is well out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

I'm heading there tomorrow - and looking forward to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yaris00

heard about clonmel market and was going to go tomorrow to sell a few household bits and toys.have mixed thoughts now after reading yer reviews!?6 stalls or 28 stalls!!

ppink wrote: »
    Look forward to hearing about it. Dont forget to get your €2 cupcake and not eat it too fast:p .
    I think the location will be a problem for this market, it is well out of the way.

OK I called over there this afternoon. It has improved from the last time I was there but it still isn't great. As you go in there seems to be a new setup where people can set up with their cars and sell stuff. The only car there seemed to be a traveller woman selling stuff that was cheap tacky tat when new and 15 years in a caravan has not helped it's cause.

Inside is far busier than I remember it. The star of the show is a little baker by the entrance. Lovely looking cakes, bread, etc. Would not be out of place in the best market around the country and was the only stall I saw anyone buying stuff from. There was a coffee/tea stall but it looked fairly basic. There were lots of stalls selling second hand books, pictures, DVDs, jewlery, brick-a-brack etc. Not really anything great. These seemed to take up a lot of stalls which were thinly stocked but in casual conversation with one of the sellers it turns out they were asked to spread stuff out onto other stalls to make it seem full. In reality he estimated only slightly over half the slots were taken. There was a guy selling garden furniture and other random stuff. There was a guy selling wood floors and another small stall with some veggies. Finally there were racks of second hand clothes but none of them seemed to be high fashion (to put it mildly).

On balance it's getting better but still not great. It needs more stuff of the standard of the baker and less 15 year old tat. They really need to get more crafts in there (there seemed to be some cheap jewlery makers but that was about it). I'm sure there are lots of small businesses that would love the chance to sell their wares at a nice market but can't afford to pay for slots in a place with few customers. They should offer some of their stalls free for 1-2 months to improve the quality of the sellers and in turn attract more customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yaris00

well i decided against clonmel market today and went to fethard instead.was i glad i did!i managed to sell most of my stock..all toys.great location and great turnout of people.well worth a visit.might go to clonmel one sunday for a look but hardly set up stall.it doesnt sound like i would sell much there.its more of a food and crafts place by the sounds of it?

so dolly what did u think, was it any good or as bad as some people are saying??

i went to kilkenny saturday the killin hill one. it was quite good, but i think clonmel was better ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 arnaldo

hello
    i just read this and have to say that ye all need to give it a chance lads. its not goin to be success right away and if ye are from clonmel then ye should be supportin this market. i do agree there isnt an awful lot down there but it is gettin way better every week. i know a girl who has been sellin down there for a few months and she told me that there was 5 or 6 people gone on holiday this weekned, thats why stalls were empty. i dont know why yere all being so down on this coz its helping people to get there business off the ground and stuff lots of them were unemployed and got off there ass and started something.

so far i think theres cakes bread ornaments books bean bags jewellry crafts baby stuff clothes sweets veg and fabric. and from what ive heard most stall are sellin stuff cheaper than the shops. :)

Well I have to speak as I find, and I thought it was a really nice little market.

We were down visiting friends, and went to have a look around after lunch.

As Touts has said, the bakery stall (Taras???) was lovely. Brought home a Passion cake...and hubby & I couldn't help taking slices off it all evening :D Yum!

Loved the baby stall...am broody as hell right now :o so it was lovely to look at all the cute baby stuff.

All in all, I thought most of the stalls were great, there were some really lovely bits & pieces on sale if you looked hard enough.

Think the market is only relatively new isn't it? I can only wish them well with it, and I'm already looking for an excuse to drag hubby down to South Tipp so I can orchestrate another visit :D

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    OK I called over there this afternoon. It has improved from the last time I was there but it still isn't great. As you go in there seems to be a new setup where people can set up with their cars and sell stuff. The only car there seemed to be a traveller woman selling stuff that was cheap tacky tat when new and 15 years in a caravan has not helped it's cause.

Inside is far busier than I remember it. The star of the show is a little baker by the entrance. Lovely looking cakes, bread, etc. Would not be out of place in the best market around the country and was the only stall I saw anyone buying stuff from. There was a coffee/tea stall but it looked fairly basic. There were lots of stalls selling second hand books, pictures, DVDs, jewlery, brick-a-brack etc. Not really anything great. These seemed to take up a lot of stalls which were thinly stocked but in casual conversation with one of the sellers it turns out they were asked to spread stuff out onto other stalls to make it seem full. In reality he estimated only slightly over half the slots were taken. There was a guy selling garden furniture and other random stuff. There was a guy selling wood floors and another small stall with some veggies. Finally there were racks of second hand clothes but none of them seemed to be high fashion (to put it mildly).

On balance it's getting better but still not great. It needs more stuff of the standard of the baker and less 15 year old tat. They really need to get more crafts in there (there seemed to be some cheap jewlery makers but that was about it). I'm sure there are lots of small businesses that would love the chance to sell their wares at a nice market but can't afford to pay for slots in a place with few customers. They should offer some of their stalls free for 1-2 months to improve the quality of the sellers and in turn attract more customers.

Sounds far busier than when I last went (3-4 weeks ago). I will give it another shot before Xmas, hopefully it will have improved. Good idea about the stall prices! Even if the likes of the farmers market were over there on a Sunday I think it would draw the people and the farmers market is a good standard too.

touts, when you said this....

''Finally there were racks of second hand clothes but none of them seemed to be high fashion (to put it mildly).''

did you mean the lady selling the vintage clothing?? it was the only clothes stall id seen there? i bought a beautiful lace dress from her, and ill tell you its most definitely NOT second-hand stuff. its high quality designer gear, and a lot of the stuff she has is VERY hard to come by.

you should go look again... and open your eyes this time lol :)

well i think the market has great potential i may even do a car boot next week ive loads to get rid of. :D

lyndak082 wrote: »
    touts, when you said this....

''Finally there were racks of second hand clothes but none of them seemed to be high fashion (to put it mildly).''

did you mean the lady selling the vintage clothing?? it was the only clothes stall id seen there? i bought a beautiful lace dress from her, and ill tell you its most definitely NOT second-hand stuff. its high quality designer gear, and a lot of the stuff she has is VERY hard to come by.

you should go look again... and open your eyes this time lol :)

well i think the market has great potential i may even do a car boot next week ive loads to get rid of. :D

One man's "vintage" is another man's "second hand". If you're into that style then I suppose yes it's the place for you. If she works hard to gather the stuff together then I wish her well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 arnaldo

thought id come back to this thread agian seeing as i was over in the clonmel market the weekend. well i think its after improvin big time over there since my last visit. it has all the tat in one hall and the good stuff in the main side of things and i was tallkin to one of the traders who said that theres a new manager after taken over and there was gonna be loads of changes made in the new year, but what they are i have no idea, nor did the trader lol he also told me that he didnt know why more people werent coming down there and to be honest i cant see why myslef as the prices on most of the stalls a very cheap. but then theres a few down there who would rob you lol

i had soup then from the baker woman who now has an even bigger spread of stuff :p and that was lovely. theres a few stalls gone that were there before and lots of new ones in stead. seemed to be a good buzz going on down there anyway and i heard there going to have some bargains in the january sales...

will let ye know if i get any bargains in that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lucy lue

:confused:can anyone tell me where in clonmel the car boot sale is held and what days, also do anyone know about the market at the hub in kilkenny

http://www.clonmelmarketatdudleysmills.com/ should help

I think the Hub market in Kilkenny is on a Saturday but I've never been to it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

lucy lue wrote: »
    :confused:can anyone tell me where in clonmel the car boot sale is held and what days, also do anyone know about the market at the hub in kilkenny

Never been but it's on every Saturday 10am - 3pm

thanks a million for taking the time to reply to questions, l will try to find out where in clonmel it is held and l will be there, just love boot sales, l find un yoke in wexford a good morning out:)

lucy lue wrote: »
    l will try to find out where in clonmel it is held

There's a location map on the link I gave you ;)

• Advertisement

thanks dollydishmop, sorry l missed that, just looked it up now, l will go next sunday, thanks once again

Advertisement