Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BATHORY

Options
  • 22-09-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Ok so just thought I see what peoples take on Bathory( for those who know them) I have been listening to them for years, and as most Fans Know Hammerheart, Twlight of the Gods, Blood fire death, are among the top Bathory releases!!

Have being listening to Blood on ice alot lately and I have always thought this to be a really under rated Bathory Album, I would have to say it has always been one of my top Bathory offerings! So if there are any Bathory Followers here, what is your top Bathory Release!!

bathory_blood_on_ice_front.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Good thread. :D

My favourites would be Under the Sign of the Black Mark, Nordland 2, Twilight of the Gods and Hammerheart. I love all the Viking stuff, but Under the Sign of the Black Mark is probably the most well-rounded, truest album of the black era...so that gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

haven listened to them in ages
    "pax vobiscum" favourite tune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

has to be Hammerheart for me! what an epic album! the black metal stuff is good but its the epic viking stuff where Bathory really shines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Good band like them alot but have only one album - Under the Sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Good thread. :D

My favourites would be Under the Sign of the Black Mark, Nordland 2, Twilight of the Gods and Hammerheart. I love all the Viking stuff, but Under the Sign of the Black Mark is probably the most well-rounded, truest album of the black era...so that gets my vote.

have to agree with that, Under the... deffo the best from the Black era. Have to say though Blood Fire Death is also a classic such as amazing album, his ability to bring atmosphere to such a heavy sound was sweet, even love the hidding messages in the Lyrics :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Thanks for starting this thread Grizzly, I have to go and throw on some Bathory now, haven't listened in feckin ages. :D

I haven't gone any further than Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart, the only albums I have. Must fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Would have to be Nordland 1 for me, epic album altogether! :)

Blood Fire Death would follow a close second though. Would also listen to Hammerheart a lot though, anotherg reat album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Great thread Grizzly!

Hammerheart is a great album as is Blood Fire Death, I also liked his early stuff when it was more straight Black Metal, and its very interesting to hear his sound evolve over time.

Twilight of the Gods is underrated I think:

F&cking love that song \m/ :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 L. Sagoth

First three albums, and 'Hammerheart' with 'Blood On Ice' together.
    They have everything i need from metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

They are a great band. I quite like both 'Under The Sign' and 'Blood Fire Death'. Both they are not perfect though. The problem with 'Under The Sign' is that 'Call From The Grave, 13 Candles, Woman of Dark Desires and Enter the Eternal Fire' are the only class songs, and the problem with 'Blood Fire Death' is that 'Odens Ride over Nordland, A Fine Day to Die, For All Those Who Died and the awesome title song are the only class songs, and the rest are just not my cup of tea. So it seems that half of each album is truly excellent, and the other half just doesn't cut it. 'Hammerheart' is however an awesome album with no bad songs, and all the songs stand out.

• Advertisement

L. Sagoth wrote: »
    First three albums, and 'Hammerheart' with 'Blood On Ice' together.
    They have everything i need from metal.

Nicely Stated :D without Bathory there would not be half the bands around that are here to day!! not sure if thats a blessing or not:(

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    without Bathory there would not be half the bands around that are here to day!!

Yeah, exactly! Even if i play obscure black metal, or brutal death, there is always something from Quorthon in that. I think it IS blessing :D Of course that's my point hahaha

Got my hands on a few tribute Bathory albums over the years, This is the track list for Hellas Salutes (1997), some ok tracks on it, but overall a poor tribute, the woodwoman is terrible.

Think Emperor are one of the only Bands ive heard to actually do Justice to Bathory , As most of yous will know its "A fine Day to Die".

Any other recommendations Welcome :)

Hellas+Salutes+The+Vikings+%28Tributo%29+%281997%29.jpg

01 - Order of the Ebon Hand - Odens Ride over Nordland
    02 - Deviser - Call form the Grave
    03 - Tenebre - Woodwomen
    04 - Flames - The Return of Darkness and Evil
    05 - Kawir - Sadist
    06 - Brain Fade - Father to Son
    07 - Exhumation - Enter the Eternal Fire
    08 - Dark Nova - Born for Burning
    09 - Nar Mataron - Equimanthorn
    10 - Zemial - Armegedon

This one is interesting. And probably most known of the tributes. And also there is a few weak points, eg. The Abyss, or even War. But i would recommend it.

In+Conspiracy+With+Satan+-+A+Tribute+To+Bathory.JPG

1.Marduk - In Conspiracy With Satan
    2.Ophthalamia - Sacrifice
    3.Gehennah - Reaper
    4.Dark Funeral - Equimanthorn
    5.Emperor - Fine Day To Die
    6.Lord Belial - Massacre
    7.Abyss - Armageddon
    8.Marduk - Woman Of Dark Desires
    9.Nifelheim - Die In Fire
    10.Necrophobic - Enter The Eternal Fire
    11.Dark Funeral - Call From The Grave
    12.Sacramentum - 13 Candles
    13.Unanimated - Raise The Dead
    14.Satyricon - Born For Burning
    15.War - War

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

His self- titled debut album is my favourite.

Advertisement