Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to photo at night time?

Options
  • 22-09-2010 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    lim home in Cork for d weekend.
    Wondering what are good places, buildings etc to take pics of at night timef? Shandong bels etc
    Also where's the best view of the city from?
    cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sallystar

-There's a great view of Shandon from the top of Patricks Hill
    -Holy Trinity Church (Father Matthew Quay) looks lovely at night from Georges Quay.
    -City Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Agree totally with pics of the City Hall, especially of the colour changing lights at the back (the modern extension part).

Looking down from the top of the South Douglas road towards the Elysium is quite nice.

Out the Carrigrahan (spelling?) Straight, the old psychiatric hospital which are now apartments...that's great...it's even better when looking down on it from up past Dennehey's Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

head down to Horgan's Quay, nice view of city with the lights.
    Get pictures of the car's on the bridge beside the clarion, it's cool when you catch them stopping for the lights, it's a nice effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

This Flickr group (Cork "after dark") should be perfect for ideas. Even if there aren't many great photos there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

You could also take some nice night time photos of the harbour if you are interested. Let me know if you are intersted and I can tell you where is good - you will need a car though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

murphym7 wrote: »
    You could also take some nice night time photos of the harbour if you are interested. Let me know if you are intersted and I can tell you where is good - you will need a car though.

When you say the harbour do you mean the port? or is the harbour where Blackrock Castle is? And where would one position to get good photos?

Also where's best to get a photo looking down on the city and is it even a nice view/worth taking?
    I'll obviously post a link to photos after I've taken them.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

dinneenp wrote: »
    When you say the harbour do you mean the port? or is the harbour where Blackrock Castle is? And where would one position to get good photos?

Also where's best to get a photo looking down on the city and is it even a nice view/worth taking?

Cheers,
    Pa.

I'm originally from the northside and you can't beat the massive view from Knockfree avenue at night because it's so high up. You can see most of the city centre, Collins barracks, Shandon, the North Cathedral, all the way down to Blackrock.
    (No norrie clichés please). Obviously you'll need transport to get up there. Head up to the park opposite the swimming pool (the accordion shaped building in the google sat map).

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cork,+County+Cork,+Ireland&ll=51.907826,-8.488494&spn=0.002691,0.004823&t=h&z=18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

The City Council building beside the fire station on Anglesea street has some pretty cool lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

dinneenp wrote: »

Cheers,
    Pa.

When I talk about th eharbour I mean the actual harbour, views out to Roches point.

Drive down to Ringaskiddy, pass through the village and just keep going until you can not go any further, There is a little parking area straight ahead(entrance to navy base is on your right).

Walk down to the shore and you get great views of the harbour - to the left you have Cobh by night, straight accross you get the oli refinery and to the left you have the actual hrbour - great if there is a ship coming in or going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

I've been in spots around Grange/Airport that aren't too bad.
    This corner doesn't give a bad view of the city, not brilliant, but ok I guess.
    There are a lot of better places, but usually in the middle of some random fields I'd end up in when walking a few years back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement