Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water coming through bedroom ceiling

Options
  • 22-09-2010 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

This morning i awoke to rain coming through my bedroom ceiling.

I called the management company at 10 a.m and was told they would call me back in 2 minutes.

4 hours later no call, so i rang them again and was told that they would call me back in 2 minutes. Never got a call.

If it rains again tonight can i start charging them for having to sleep elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Rain came through your ceiling? Do you know if it's that the roof is leaking or could there be leaking pipes in the attic?

I wouldn't jump into getting other accommodation and charging them for it. It all depends on what sort of damage there is. I'd keep ringing every 5 minutes until you get through to the person that will be available in '2 minutes'.

I'd move all your belongings out of the way just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Are you renting or do you own the property? If the former, contact your landlord and maybe a phone call from them would help to get a move on the MC.

If it's the latter, then you need to record each call you make to the MC, who you spoke to and what they said.

It might also be a good idea to take photos of the 'leak' in your room, or a recording, if you can. Move all your things out of the room (hassle, I know), but at least if they're out of the room they can't get damaged.

I don't know all the ins and outs of asking a MC to pay for you to stay elsewhere while they repair the leak, but I wouldn't do anything like that until you talk to them.

A friend of mine was in a similar situation to you. The top floor apartment they were renting started to leak and the LL paid for them to stay elsewhere until the leak was repaired.

Advertisement