Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO Anyone in the Computing Department.

• 22-09-2010 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone knew about the Computer Services Management degree and why it is only timetabled for 4th years in the evenings? Is the degree now defunct and/or being phased out, and if so, why?

Also, if anyone could give me a list of the modules done in that degree from 1st to 3rd year that would be great because I want to see if they are similar to the course I am doing? If so, I might consider asking if I could kind of do 2 years in 1 beause I've done extra electives every year and I would only have 4 modules from year four of Computing Services Management to complete which means I could do them by night after my day classes.

Can anyone give me any information on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

was in college in cit and done CSM, the reason its in the evening because not enought bodies for the full time, so its combined with part time students, although you can register as full time where you will be doing few modules during the day, to check all the modules, check modules.cit.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭ng1

Student demand was the reason the add-on honours degree in Computer Services Management (now IT Management) is run in a hybrid mode. The course has run in this mode since 2004.

The IT Support and IT Management stream is designed in a flexible “2years+1+1 Ladder” system in order to give students the option of graduating at different levels –

Higher Certificate in IT Support - 2 years (incl. work placement.)
    BSc in IT Support - 1 year (2 years part-time.)
    BSc (Hons) in IT Management - 1 year (2 years part-time.)

The “2+1+1 Ladder” system above enables students to progress through the system to qualifications appropriate to their personal requirements.

The entry requirement to the add-on BSc (Hons) in IT Management is a BSc in IT Support (or equivalent) with an average mark >50%. The BSc (Hons) in IT Management programme has run in a hybrid mode since 2004 when the first cohort of students graduated with a BSc in IT Support. The ‘problem’ was (and probably still is*) that many of graduates in the BSc in IT Support receive job offers. The hybrid delivery mode ensured CIT could facilitate both students who wish to avail of work opportunities and progress their studies part-time as well as full-time students who wanted to complete an honours degree within a year in order to pursue postgraduate research or a postgraduate course such as the MSc in Networking and Security. The hybrid delivery mode means modules run in the evening for part-time students while full-time students can complete the qualification in a year by taking modules during the day and joining the part-time students for modules in the evening.

Course schedules, including module descriptions:
    Higher Certificate in IT Support - 2 years
    http://courses.cit.ie/index.cfm/page/course/courseId/258
    BSc in IT Support - 1 year
    http://courses.cit.ie/index.cfm/page/course/courseId/259
    BSc (Hons) in IT Management - 1 year
    http://courses.cit.ie/index.cfm/page/course/courseId/251

*Even last year, the National Skills Bulletin, a study by the Skills and Labour Market Research Unit (SLMRU) for the Expert Group on Future Skills Needs, listed Information Technology first as an area of skills shortage.

Advertisement