Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After paying a deposit, they up the price

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Boggles wrote: »
    I think he is talking about the 100 euro difference in the laptop.

Not his 100 euro deposit which I presume he is getting fully reimbursed for.

Mea Culpa...I see that now...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

after reading through all these threads I am mystified that you would even considergiving these jokers your business:eek: When you are buying any "techie" items the after sales service is very important.. and if this is how you are being treated BEFORE you buy the product!! How on earth do you think they will treat you if you develop a problem with the product.
    Take your deposit back and go and get your laptop somewhere else.. and report these cowboys to the trading standards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I won't be naming any shop. I will be doing my business else where in future. That is for sure.

Am I right to say that even of the shop had the price displayed as 600 (which I did not see) I still have a case as we agreed a price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

padocon wrote: »
    Am I right to say that even of the shop had the price displayed as 600 (which I did not see) I still have a case as we agreed a price?

Yep, doesn't matter what was displayed.

As long as you and the sales assistant were clear (ad idem as to the terms of the contract i.e. price, specs etc., then there is no issue.

It was clear I even have it in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

It was clear I even have it in writing.

Again, If you have this is writing and you paid a deposit this is a binding contract.

i.e.
    they provided a quote
    you accepted
    you handed over cash
    deal done.

This is basic basic stuff, they are just chancing their arm.

Options you have available since the terms of the contract have changed:

1. Full refund of your deposit.
    2. Completion of the agreement under the original terms.

It doesn't matter if its 100 euro, 10 euro or 1000 euros, the rules are the same.

I'd say just get your deposit back and go elsewhere, lots of choice around.

Just like to thank everyone for the help, will keep yee posted.

Just another query on the Small Claims Cort form it says "amount of claim" but I don't have an amount to claim. What to do? Do they handle this issue?

Just like to thank everyone for the help, will keep yee posted.

Just another query on the Small Claims Cort form it says "amount of claim" but I don't have an amount to claim. What to do? Do they handle this issue?

Yes you do...

Your either claiming..

1. Your deposit

2. The difference between the price quoted and the next model you can find.

Can I say: I want what was originally agreed?

Can I say: I want what was originally agreed?

Yip...You can say that you are claiming for breach of contract for the amount of xx or the computer

• Advertisement

Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Just a small point, don't negotiate with them for a compromise or for a different computer, that would be a counter offer by you which would void the original contract. To form a legal contract there has to be, at its most basic, an offer, acceptance and consideration. The fact that a rep made a mistake is not your problem, the rep was acting as an agent of the shop and was empowered to enter into sales contracts on their behalf, which he did.

Consideration is exchanging something of value (in this case, your deposit) that is what sets a promise(which is breakable) apart from a contract. You definitely have a contract here.

Have a go with the small claims court, but I think that a contract dispute may not be within their jurisdiction. That means that the court cannot insist on specific performance (forcing the shop to supply the goods) they can only make a cash award. In your case, that could be the €100 difference between €500 and €600 and the return of your deposit.

djk1000 wrote: »
    that could be the €100 difference between €500 and €600 and the return of your deposit.

Good idea, thanks.

that could be the €100 difference between €500 and €600 and the return of your deposit.

Could this be classed as a counter offer?

Advertisement