Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On campus accomodation

Options
  • 22-09-2010 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi everybody!:)
    I'm an Italian student and I'm supposed to come on Erasmus to UCD in January! I was looking for some information about on campus accomodation and reading the international student handbook I've seen that students have to supply kitchen items themselves...
    Is there no cutlery, are there no dishes, pans, pots and any kind of kitchen utensils in the apartments??
    It sounds so strange! I mean, living on campus is very expensive and it's absurd having to buy (or to bring from Italy) things I'll need just for 5 months!
    Anyway, could anyone tell me which is the best residence? And what will I find in it? just empty rooms?
    Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Hi Vale!

You sure are getting all this sorted well in advance. In UCD there are 4 different residences in UCD: Roebuck halls, Merville, Glenomena and Belgrove

When I first went to UCD i was living in Merville student residences. I loved it. There will be nothing when you move in, unless you buy some stuff when you get there. crockery, cutlery and utensils can be bought cheap in local supermarkets two of everything should be grand for you! :)

In my room in Merville I had a bed, wardrobe, mirror, study desk and a shelf. (I can't remember if there was bed clothes on the bed)But it was small. There was two toilets for 4 people in the apartment. The only thing I did not like was the way the electricity was paid for by electricity cards. I found it was quite expensive to fund for the year, and the electricity always ran out when the shop (from which you buy your electricity cards) was closed. Belgrove and Roebuck Castle (a residence which has been changed into offices since I was living on campus) the electricity was charged for at the beginning of the year and returned if too much payment was taken.

Glenomena residences is for final year students but I have heard of first year students staying there. Glenomena charges by electricity card and does not have an oven in the kitchen (which hinders cooking in a big way for a student!!) It also allowes the tenant to enter the house by a swipe card.

I would say either Belgrove or Merville for your semester. :) good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Just to clarify some issues raised by the post above.

1. All electricity card systems are no longer in place. No matter what residence you live in, the electricity is paid for at the beginning of each semester with what is called a "utilities deposit" when you make your payment before you move in.

2. All residences are now open to students of every year. Apartments can contain a mix of female/male undergraduate, masters or postgraduate, or indeed doctoral students. When you book your room, you will be shown the apartment number and available rooms of all the apartments that have or will have a space free. There is a profile of the current residents of that apartment (6 residents in each Glenomena and Roebuck apartment, I do not know about Merville and Belgrove, Roebuck catered or Blackrock). The profile will be written as, for example "room 4, female undergrad, room 5 male prostgraduate" etc.

3. You are supplied with a pillow, duvet, lamp and desk lamp, hoover (1 for all the residents) a kettle, Microwave, Oven (not in some residences), and a sweeping brush. You are only expected to bring your bed linen, and plates, cutlery etc.

Personally, I live in Glenomena, and I lived in Roebuck last year. If your choice happens to be between these two, I would recommend Glenomena. The views and surroundings are nicer, and although the apartments are not as new and flashy as roebuck (which has marble floors, lights on sensors-all very unnecessary expenses), Glenomena is better kept, and the maintenance are very helpful. We requested our kitchen be repainted on Monday, and it was done by Thursday!

Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Only finished MA last month and I'm so out of date! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AlbeZaff

Hi Vale and hi everybody,
    I'm an italian student too, going to UCD Quinn School in January.
    I'd like to get some information about these things:

1)all campus residences are open to quinn school's students?
    2)I've read that Melville residence has some new and some old rooms, how can I distinguish them through the accommodation process

and 3) @Vale: have you already chosen which residence to go to?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 reel2real

Usually the ERASMUS Students stayed in Blackrock...but I wouldn't reccomend it given the bus route is unreliable (the route 17) and even biking it in the rain is awful.

I've heard great things about Belgrove or Merville. Roebuck is good but I think it's still wayy too pricey for what you get.

• Advertisement
Advertisement