Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HMS Diamond officially handed over to MoD in Portsmouth ceremony

• 22-09-2010 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/198873-hms-diamond-officially-handed-over-to-mod-in-portsmouth-ceremony/

HMS Diamond officially handed over to MoD in Portsmouth ceremony
    Type 45 destroyer built at Scotstoun shipyard arrives at its new home in Portsmouth.

22 September 2010

The Royal Navy's Commodore Steve Brunton has formally accepted Glasgow-made Type 45 anti-air warfare destroyer the HMS Diamond in an official ceremony at Portsmouth Naval Base.

First steel was cut on the ship in May 2005 at BAE System's Govan yard, and she was launched from there in November 2007. Having successfully completing an extensive sea trials programme, HMS Diamond left the Clyde with a combined BAE Systems and Royal Navy crew for the last time on Saturday 18 September.

After members of the ship’s company raised the white ensign for the first time, UK Programmes Director at BAE Systems’ Surface Ships division Angus Holt said: “Diamond is an exceptional ship and we are proud to hand her over to the Royal Navy today.

"The Type 45 programme is a great example of an effective partnership between industry, the Royal Navy and the Ministry of Defence to deliver enhanced capability to our armed forces.

“Our work on Diamond and her sister ships now continues, providing in-service support to the ship and the rest of the fleet, to ensure that they meet the UK’s operational requirements.”

Head of Destroyers, Commodore Steve Brunton, said: “It is a huge privilege to accept this magnificent ship on behalf of the MOD, hot on the heels of HMS Daring’s acceptance into service with the Navy.

“With five ships in the water - one in service, two in MOD hands and two more on contractor trials - 2010 has been an extremely busy year on the Type 45 programme already and is still to see the last of the class, Duncan, launched down the slipway into the Clyde.”

Type 45s are to provide the backbone of the UK’s naval air defences for the next 30 years, replacing the existing Type 42s. The destroyers are capable of carrying out a wide range of operations, including anti-piracy and anti-smuggling activities, disaster-relief work and surveillance operations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

They're still horrible looking.

Should be Conehead class... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

gatecrash wrote: »

Get one and you can call it whatever you like. ;=)

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Get one and you can call it whatever you like. ;=)

tac

dammit. The only pirates I know of are the guys on Pirate Bay and Capt Jack Sparrow.

On second thoughts, anyone got the international access code for Somalia??!!??;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

+ 1 . Launched in November 2007 - nearly 2 years to be commissioned ?

dammit. The only pirates I know of are the guys on Pirate Bay and Capt Jack Sparrow.

On second thoughts, anyone got the international access code for Somalia??!!??;)

To err is human, but to AAAAARRRR is to be a pirate.

tac

• Advertisement

delancey42 wrote: »
    + 1 . Launched in November 2007 - nearly 2 years to be commissioned ?

Yup. It still has to be fitted out with all the wiggly wiry bits, various gunny and missiley things and boaty objects, to use technical terminology.

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The beep-beeps and the bang-bangs?

Well the pointy bit is normally towards the front.

The turny thing makes the pointy bit change direction

And the lever things make the pointy bit move faster or slower..

concussion wrote: »
    The beep-beeps and the bang-bangs?

Exactly so, but please keep it simple, eh?

Me, I've always wondered why these things cost so much money when they only put on the grey undercoat and then leave 'em.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Exactly so, but please keep it simple, eh?

Me, I've always wondered why these things cost so much money when they only put on the grey undercoat and then leave 'em.

tac

It's all the gold fitting, mahogany trim and shag pile carpets in the officer's mess apparantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

It's all the gold fitting, mahogany trim and shag pile carpets in the officer's mess apparantly.

And the caviar and smoking jackets they have issued too don't forget.

I must have always been on another ship, then. Every time I was on board and in a ward-room [army officers have messes, naval officers have ward-rooms], it tlooked just like any other accomodation on-board.

Perhaps you are getting confused with Irish Naval Service vessels? ;=)

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I must have always been on another ship, then. Every time I was on board and in a ward-room [army officers have messes, naval officers have ward-rooms], it tlooked just like any other accomodation on-board.

Perhaps you are getting confused with Irish Naval Service vessels? ;=)

tac

Aah Tac, please don't let the truth get in the way of a good story:D

The last time I was in a ward room was about 1982 on HMS Southampton, and that was only the NCO's one. It was, tbh, a grey square box room with a bar, a few comfyish chairs and a picture of HRH.

It did have a bottle of Pusser's though but unfortunately then it was not free issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I understand the big round dome thingy is for hi-speed internetz and Hi-Def TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I bet that will be its nickname alright lol.

BostonB wrote: »
    I bet that will be its nickname alright lol.

Snegro......

tac

Snegro......

tac

speak english...

BostonB wrote: »
    speak english...

Well, I was actually writing in English, but as you may be aware, the PC brigade has a firm foothold here in UK, and frown on the use of the word

s-n-i-g-g-e-r

as they hold it to be a racist slur on a certain group within the population.

So we use the word s-n-e-g-r-o so that they don't get too offended.

In similar fashion, they do not care to see the word j-o-c-u-l-a-r either, as it is said to reflect rather disparingingly on the population of the northern part of the mainland of GB. Instead, we are expected to use

s-c-o-t-u-l-a-r

instead.

Hope that clears it up for you. ;=)

tac

Ah sorry I get you now. Complete doh! moment

Advertisement