Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Northampton Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    He's a Man U fan.

:eek::eek::eek:

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Liverpool are reminding me more and more of newcastle united of a few years back as time goes by

Even United have lost/drawn to these rubbish teams in recent years, these things happen from time to time. It's not the first or last time we will be put out by a ****e team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That was our second string in fairness. In no way am I excusing their performance tonight but still, to make the above statement based on the performance of the second string is a tad OTT don't you think?

I don't believe they will finish there personally but morale at the club must be low based on the overall start to the campaign. From what I've read the team, albeit second-string, struggled against quite poor opposition. I do think Hodgson has some real serious baggage to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Calm down.

The only pity is that the youngsters now have one less avenue to develope this season.

No doubt RAWKs server have melted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

colly10 wrote: »
    Even United have lost/drawn to these rubbish teams in recent years, these things happen from time to time. It's not the first or last time we will be put out by a ****e team

Yes but with united you always got a sense that it was a blip with this liverpool team you don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

would you ever stop talking ****e

United have gotten to the c league twice in 3 years, won the premierleague twice is 3 years, so comparing us to a team that has just gotten knocked out of the carling cup by a team 2 divisions below them and also havent won the league in nearly 20 years is laughable to be honest

relax man, its only a game, you would swear it was life and death

anyway here is something for ya http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/league_cup/7008020.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

:eek::eek::eek:

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I know, it's shocking that a poster can speak sense objectively regardless of his own personal affiliations. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

ollie1 wrote: »
    Total disgrace losing to a league two team is ridiculous :mad:

To be fair, it's not like they're at the bottom of their league. They're 17th.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

And at one stage, this thread looked on course to have less than 100 posts. Amazing how these things change, isn't it?

Havent had as much of a laugh out of a result in ages, thanks Liverpool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Are there any highlights on later?

12:00am BBC1
    That was our second string in fairness. In no way am I excusing their performance tonight but still, to make the above statement based on the performance of the second string is a tad OTT don't you think?

Kyrgiakos, Agger, Lucas, Jovanovic, Ngog, Babel, Pacheco all first time players wouldnt cal lthem second string. Of all them only Agger would make it into Spurs, City or Villa squad. Liverpool's top 4 status is well and truly gone for at least 4/5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Iago wrote: »
    You do realise that I'm a United fan right?

It doesn't matter who you support, I can't see how anyone could try to put any positive spin on the performance and result tonight,

And on your earlier post, i doubt very much any part of Hodgson wanted to lose this game, he would love to be through and be still in with a chance of winning a trophy, and to mask the poor start to the season,

If he didn't care too much about it he would have been off scouting somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

lads I've deleted the pictures, quite frankly once Chuck made an appearance it was pointless carrying on as we all know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's laughable the amount of Pool fans that say "ah sure it's only the Carling Cup".

It's a cop out. Dismal performance. I know that they played a relatively inexperienced side but they're playing for a Premier League club. One of Europe's biggest clubs.

Everyone has their off days but it's a fairly inexcusable performance.

The most senior players in that squad tonight should've been giving as much support as possible to the younger lads.

I wouldn't say it's a full blown crisis or anything but if the most senior players in the team can't gel together against a League 2 side then there's a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed.

Hats off to Northampton who gave it a right go and got their reward.

And next you'll be trying to tell me that if Liverpool won 6-0 with Pacheco (or any other next big thing) scoring a hat trick that you would have managed to keep a clear head, and would be on here telling all the others to calm down that it is only the league cup?

Take it for what it is, regardless of the line up, or how many changes were made, regardless of the competition and how far you wanted to get,

This was Northampton, a league 2 outfit, and Liverpool lost, it is simply not good enough. It is not as if it was a big shock, it is just fitting with how the season has been going.

Do people not read the thread, he's already said he's a United fan, so he can hardly be accused of wearing the rose tinted glasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Kyrgiakos, Agger, Lucas, Jovanovic, Ngog, Babel, Pacheco all first time players wouldnt cal lthem second string. Of all them only Agger would make it into Spurs, City or Villa squad. Liverpool's top 4 status is well and truly gone for at least 4/5 years.

None of them have been in the first eleven regularly this season bar Jovanovic, and even that could be put down to Cole's suspension. Agger was playing left back tonight as well.

I'm not trying to excuse them but really, none of these guys are going to be on the teamsheet every week.

Not to mention that it could well just have been a case of the players underestimating their opposition. That can happen, Liverpool aren't the first big club to be slayed like this and won't be the last either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Jan Mølby tearing into both Rafa and Hodgson on the radio.

When you are competing in the CL, you can say "it's only the Carling Cup"

Not when you haven't won a trophy since 2006 and are mediocre. It was our best chance of a trophy.

I'm over at the Sunderland match on Sat and if I see Babel for one he's getting a hiding a stern talking to !

Yes but with united you always got a sense that it was a blip with this liverpool team you don't

Yes, you get a sense that it isn't. Maybe thats cause your a united fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

It doesn't matter who you support, I can't see how anyone could try to put any positive spin on the performance and result tonight,

And on your earlier post, i doubt very much any part of Hodgson wanted to lose this game, he would love to be through and be still in with a chance of winning a trophy, and to mask the poor start to the season,

If he didn't care too much about it he would have been off scouting somewhere.

It's not about positive spin, it's about realism. Liverpool don't have a very strong squad and are particularly weak in some areas, Hodgson has already said in a couple of interviews this season that he needs to "prioritise accordingly and that finishing in the Top 4 is paramount for Liverpool" (or words to that effect)

Given that and the fact that the League Cup would be bottom of that priority list then I don't think he'll be losing sleep over not having any more games in it. Would he have preferred to win? absolutely. Would part of him rather not have the headache of more games in the League Cup? I believe so.

The performance and result clearly weren't good enough, but I wasn't arguing that they were. Of all the games this season for the performance and result not to be good enough, tonight was the game that Liverpool would have chosen imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Archimedes wrote: »

Got a link or what station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Archimedes wrote: »

What relevance does Rafa have to the fact we couldn't beat an injury ravaged team who are struggling in league 2, at Anfield?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    What relevance does Rafa have to the fact we couldn't beat an injury ravaged team who are struggling in league 2, at Anfield?

I was thinking the same thing. Ludicrous.

In quick there Mr Alan! As we are not listening we don't know.

Iago wrote: »
    It's not about positive spin, it's about realism. Liverpool don't have a very strong squad and are particularly weak in some areas, Hodgson has already said in a couple of interviews this season that he needs to "prioritise accordingly and that finishing in the Top 4 is paramount for Liverpool" (or words to that effect)

Given that and the fact that the League Cup would be bottom of that priority list then I don't think he'll be losing sleep over not having any more games in it. Would he have preferred to win? absolutely. Would part of him rather not have the headache of more games in the League Cup? I believe so.

The performance and result clearly weren't good enough, but I wasn't arguing that they were. Of all the games this season for the performance and result not to be good enough, tonight was the game that Liverpool would have chosen imo

Yeah it will relieve the fixtures and put less pressure on the squad because of that, but it is still a big black mark in his book,

I think they are going to struggle this weekend against Sunderland, and I just feel that regardless of the changes made this still puts a lot more pressure on an already very bad start to the season,

I can't believe what is happening to both of the merseyside clubs this season as regards their starts,

also interesting to note that every team that took the lead first tonight ended up losing :eek:

Apparently he prepared a dossier on the Liverpool team for Northampton.

hard to believe this is just a little over 18 months ago

daithijjj wrote: »
    Got a link or what station?

Afraid not, I assume it's the same one the match was on. I was just reading about it on another forum.

I imagine the Great Dane was critical of Rafa Benitez as players like Lucas, Babel and Jovanovic were in the team and he signed them. Can't think what else it would be.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    I imagine the Great Dane was critical of Rafa Benitez as players like Lucas, Babel and Jovanovic were in the team and he signed them. Can't think what else it would be.

Well then Jan will have gone down quite considerably in my estimation. Retarded point if indeed that's what he was saying.

mike65 wrote: »

joelStraws.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Bad result but in the grand scheme of thinsg it will be forgotten in a months time. The players and the manager deserve blame. It is worrying that our first team back ups played so woefully. Just hope for no major injuries to the first team.

seocc9.gif

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Bad result but in the grand scheme of thinsg it will be forgotten in a months time. The players and the manager deserve blame. It is worrying that our first team back ups played so woefully. Just hope for no major injuries to the first team.

yea cause the first team is playing like fricking Barca at the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

How can ye explain this one lads?

Terrible start to the season continues. Is it time to start worrying??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

NickDrake wrote: »

ye wha.....been worried for over 12 months now!

murpho999 wrote: »
    ye wha.....been worried for over 12 months now!

Maybe it is time to start being more realistic about your team. Are ye really good enough player wise to be in the top 8???

Maybe ye just don't have the players anymore.

Maybe it is time to start being more realistic about your team. Are ye really good enough player wise to be in the top 8???

A bit OTT, this was a second string team in Carling Cup...

Embarrasing....yes
    Bad for confidence .....yes

Damaging to manager.....maybe.
    Long term damage to club.....no

Reflection on 1st team that will play most premiership games.....absolutely none!

murpho999 wrote: »
    A bit OTT, this was a second string team in Carling Cup...

Embarrasing....yes
    Bad for confidence .....yes

Damaging to manager.....maybe.
    Long term damage to club.....no

Reflection on 1st team that will play most premiership games.....absolutely none!

What about your position in the league? 5points?

Last years finish?

Both pretty embarrasing. Both long term worries I feel.

• Advertisement

may 2009 the same club finished second and now they are not good enough to finish top 8, thats an incredible fall in just over 12 months to be fair

reminds me of blackburn a bit, they won the league and then were bottom of the table some 18 months later, who was the blackburn manager at the time................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Put Torres, Cole, Gerrard, Carragher and Reina into any of the teams promoted and they would get a euro spot. Far to early in the season to start writing the team off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

rossie1977 wrote: »
    may 2009 the same club finished second and now they are not good enough to finish top 8, thats an incredible fall in just over 12 months to be fair

reminds me of blackburn a bit, they won the league and then were bottom of the table some 18 months later, who was the blackburn manager at the time................

The second place finish was a flash in the pan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Put Torres, Cole, Gerrard, Carragher and Reina into any of the teams promoted and they would get a euro spot. Far to early in the season to start writing the team off.

So you are saying that apart from those 5 players, the likes of Blackpool have a better squad???:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

orourkeda wrote: »

LOL...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The only real thing that is worrying that there is ~40 games left of this...

:)

Pleased for Tadgh Purcell...Northampton can only beat what's put in front of them so all credit to them..

What about your position in the league? 5points?

Last years finish?

Both pretty embarrasing. Both long term worries I feel.

Yes, last year was bad, we all know that.

But would not judge the team by current position. They have played 5 games, 3 of which were Arsenal, Man City & Man Utd.

It will change rapidly as they are only 3 points behind City in 4th place.

Ridiculous.....a season of 38 games.....over a period of nine months....only lost 2 games.....how can that be a flash in the pan?

prior to finishing second they had finished 3rd, 3rd and 4th in previous seasons, in fact year before they finished second they only lost 4 games all season

you can't keep making excuses for woy, fact remains liverpool have 4 players who made the dutch/spanish world cup squads, they have the england captain, england first choice right-back, the danish captain and vice captain, joe cole a player lauded by pundits, they should clearly have enough to finish top 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

adox wrote: »
    So you are saying that apart from those 5 players, the likes of Blackpool have a better squad???:eek:

No.
    was just pointing out that the pool had good enough players to get a euro place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No.
    was just pointing out that the pool had good enough players to get a euro place.

Jamie Carragher is sh1t pal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement