Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best UCD club for exercise?

Options
  • 22-09-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

The title says it all really, im joining another club which will be a few times a week but isnt really useful for fitness and i am very unfit so ideally i'd love to get into something in UCD that would help me with that.

Can anyone recommend a club that would be good for fitness and even a bit of weight loss but at the same time isnt a massive commitment?

Comments

I've joined Ninjutsu club and they tell me that they meet once a week, training is free once you pay the 10 euro and there is no required level of strength or fitness, plus they often go out to the forum bar afterwards so it sounds laid-back enough.

I'm sure any of the sports clubs would be useful for what you want though, as long as there was no extra equipment or anything of that sort needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I've joined Ninjutsu club

Snap! Did you go to that demo first night thing last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Fencing club is v. good for fitness and runs once a week for beginners (Thursday 6-7.30). For the first couple of months it's mainly general fitness and footwork (+ some social events). Like Ninjitsu there's no particular level of strength required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Avoid boxing. Required to train 3 times a week. It is great if you love boxing and are prepared to put the hours in in the boxing like I am but there are other clubs like Karate and TKD that will be more relaxed about commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

If you wanna get fit, join athletics. If you want a fun sport, join Frisbee.

• Advertisement

Ruski wrote: »
    If you wanna get fit, join athletics. If you want a fun sport, join Frisbee.

Frisbee my arse for fun. Training isn't easy in that club since they actually compete regularly but they are an extremely relaxed club and the people involved are very nice and helpful.

Fun is kicking a football around with your mates

unknown13 wrote: »
    Frisbee my arse for fun. Training isn't easy in that club since they actually compete regularly but they are an extremely relaxed club and the people involved are very nice and helpful.

Fun is kicking a football around with your mates
    You can still have fun training. I love the way loads of people joined since they thought that the club would just be a bunch of stoners throwing a frisbee around. I've still to go to it, but I forgot the times that training is on at.

Another thing that's fun is sitting on your hole playing Call of Duty all day.
    And this:

You can still have fun training. I love the way loads of people joined since they thought that the club would just be a bunch of stoners throwing a frisbee around. I've still to go to it, but I forgot the times that training is on at.

I will tell you the times tomorrow if I see you. I have to find the info in my room. Frisbee is alot harder than it looks BTW.

I will tell you the times tomorrow if I see you. I have to find the info in my room. Frisbee is alot harder than it looks BTW.
    I play it recreationally. Not Ultimate but just throwing it around with de ladz.

I play it recreationally. Not Ultimate but just throwing it around with de ladz.

Then why didn't you buy a disk off them for €10 and go to the hall and throw it around there when your free.

• Advertisement

Then why didn't you buy a disk off them for €10 and go to the hall and throw it around there when your free.
    Because I already have my own, duuuuuuhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

squash club
    great for fitness! good for beginners too

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

The rowing club is meant to be fitness mad, trainings are tough (not fun), but really good for fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Gingy wrote: »
    The rowing club is meant to be fitness mad, trainings are tough (not fun), but really good for fitness.

Joined this last year because i had mad notions of being an uber fit rower but reality hit home then and it was too intense for me tbh, requires far more then im willing to give.

Advertisement