Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Allowance Query

• 22-09-2010 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Apologies if this has been asked previously. I am a part qualified accountant and am currently out of work. I want to finish my professional exams but I cannot afford the fees needed to do this. I have done my exams by correspondence to date and ideally would like to continue in this way. I have been looking at the social welfare website and it seems that professional qualifications are not covered under the back to education allowance. I was wondering if I did my course through vec or something like that would I qualify?

The alternative is to do a completely different course that does qualify as I am in no-mans land at the moment. I have lots of experience but no qualifications and the very few jobs that are out there are going to people that are qualified or that have no experience as their salary would be less than mine. I am willing to work at any salary if it includes a training contract but I am not having any luck so have to consider other options.

Also can someone give me an idea of what the BEA actually covers? Is it the same as a social welfare payment and does it cover all course fees?

Sorry for the long-winded post - there's a question in there somewhere!! I am just finding that the social welfare site lacks any real information and seems to be designed to cause maximum confusion!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭pete_mcs

I used the back to education allowance last year, as far as I know you are eligible for the allowance as long as you are progressing in your education. For example if you have completed a level 5 course you are only eligible for the allowance if you are now enrolled in a level 6 and upwards course.

The best thing to do is go ahead and apply for it, its the same as the social welfare payment so there is no benefit to the Government to deny you. It is paid directly into your bank account, once you get a letter from the college stating you are in full time education, I think you are required to have above 75% attendance record, but I doubt anyone checks. (attendance was very poor in my course last year, but no one lost their allowance).

I dont think the allowance covers any college fees, but there is a €500 sump sum at the start of the college year.

VEC grants may help you with fees.

VEC grants have to be applied for from your local VEC office, be aware this is a massive red tape filled form that you will spend the remaining years of your life completing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Babybass

Thanks Pete...far more helpful than the social welfare site!! ;)

Advertisement