Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence Renting

Options
  • 22-09-2010 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Sorry about putting up yet another TV licence thread here but I've just received a notice from the inspector saying I have 14 days to pay up etc...

The thing is I'm renting the house and it came with a wall mounted TV.

It's not connected to anything. Just PS3. We had Sky but it's gone cause the dish broke long ago.

My lease is up next month and I fully intend to move out for a cheaper place then. So getting it now is a bit silly for just a couple of weeks use.

If I split the cost of this with the other 2 house mates who gets to bring the licence to the next place if we split up?

It's very bad timing. Any suggestions please? thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I'm sure this has been done to death and if you looked up info on the tv licence at say an Post you would probably find this

It doesnt matter who owns the TV, if you live there ie are the occupiers then you (the people who live there) are liable not the landlord, not the agent, just you.

Personally I wouldnt want a tv from the landlord

If as you say split the bill, someone will be able to take it to their new address but I'd say you cant tear the licence in half and each take your share with you.
    Best thing is if you really are leaving (now this depends on the name it is in)
    if it has no ones name on it then, you could agree to ignore any callers to the door, keep the blinds and curtain shut and go.
    If you take your licence with you to a new address then they know where you LIVE! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Whoever has their name on the licence gets to take it with them. Simple as that.

They won't pursue you in court within the next 4 weeks, so why not just leave it till you move, then get the licence where ever you'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Merch wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been done to death and if you looked up info on the tv licence at say an Post you would probably find this

It doesnt matter who owns the TV, if you live there ie are the occupiers then you (the people who live there) are liable not the landlord, not the agent, just you.

Personally I wouldnt want a tv from the landlord

If as you say split the bill, someone will be able to take it to their new address but I'd say you cant tear the licence in half and each take your share with you.
    Best thing is if you really are leaving (now this depends on the name it is in)
    if it has no ones name on it then, you could agree to ignore any callers to the door, keep the blinds and curtain shut and go.
    If you take your licence with you to a new address then they know where you LIVE! :)

Not true, if there is a tv supplied with the lease then it is up to the landlord to pay for the tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Not true, if there is a tv supplied with the lease then it is up to the landlord to pay for the tv licence.

Thats incorrect

Terms and conditions
    Any person in occupancy at an address where a television set is held is legally responsible for the licensing of the television set regardless of ownership of either the premises or the set itself.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/tvlicence250108.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

can you show a link that backs up that statement?

Probably not as it is totally untrue. - Some landlords MAY provide the license but that would be at their discretion.

As for the OP technically & morally you should pay, but if you're gone in a month it is highly unlikely that action could be taken against you. - If you are a student or even look like a student, just say that you're waiting for the grant money to come through and this should buy you a bit more time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In short if you don't want to pay a license and you want to be above board then get rid of your sky box, TV and anything else that has a receiver (VCR's etc).

Now even if your without those they'll still likely try take you to court for having some sort of ariel so you may need to get rid of that and finally even if you did that they'd still likely bring you to court because they won't believe you

After all they've heard all the excuses,
    :rolleyes:

afaik years ago they brought an Irish Time's journalist to court for not having a tv license dispite the fact he had no TV, they case was thrown out in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hmmm...

Would I get away with leaving it another Month do ye think?

I'm going to ask my landlord for a drop in rent. If the answer is yes then I'll pay the licence right away. If not then i'm off to another place where I'll risk it all again. This time without a clearly visable wall mounted 42" widescreen in the front room...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

if it was me then personally I'd likely leave it the month on the basis I'm moving but of course its upto you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I'd leave it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Bill-e wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Hmmm...

Would I get away with leaving it another Month do ye think?

I'm going to ask my landlord for a drop in rent. If the answer is yes then I'll pay the licence right away. If not then i'm off to another place where I'll risk it all again. This time without a clearly visable wall mounted 42" widescreen in the front room...
    if the new address is on the license database you will get the letters and visits from the inspectors eventually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

foggy_lad wrote: »
    if the new address is on the license database you will get the letters and visits from the inspectors eventually

Yes, but it could be a year or more down the line of not having to pay for it.

If I pay for it now and move to another place they will have my details, my address and will know where and when my licence expires. So they'll be on my door again the second it runs out I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Bill-e wrote: »
    Yes, but it could be a year or more down the line of not having to pay for it.

If I pay for it now and move to another place they will have my details, my address and will know where and when my licence expires. So they'll be on my door again the second it runs out I'd imagine.

why do you think you should not pay it? not paying the licence and having a TV is illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    why do you think you should not pay it? not paying the licence and having a TV is illegal
    And you force others to pay on your behalf, if you do not pay then the cleaning lady in RTE still has to get her wages from somewhere -could be an increased licence fee or and increase in general taxes.

I view non-payers as thieves, stealing from me.

40% of boards members said they do not pay in this poll, I was quite shocked at the amount of thieves, in 2002 I think the reported non-payers was 12%

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056033654

I don't think there should be a licence at all, it should be a subscription service, but I still pay it, I am not going to be a scumbag and rob my from my neighbours. If it is to be funded it should come from general taxes, as the reported figures say 99% of households have a TV and the admin costs in collecting/fining/chasing/registering has got to be huge.

Advertisement