Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep Fencing and Mobile Handling Scheme

• 22-09-2010 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Any details on this yet? I had a bit of a look around but must need to go back to Specsavers, just founds bits "The minister is" this, that and the other.

Thinking over changing from set grazing to rotational, which will mean an amount of extra internal fencing. Just wondering would I qualify. Also be no hard adding some extra handling bits, though I do have two good pens already.

ATB,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I cant find any info. I was talking to a rep at a wire stand and she had no info either. Although she did give me a metal hoop for tieing sheep wire. I feel like im 16 again and going out for the night on a promise. This lot are a triumph of style over substance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

5live wrote: »
    I cant find any info. I was talking to a rep at a wire stand and she had no info either. Although she did give me a metal hoop for tieing sheep wire. I feel like im 16 again and going out for the night on a promise. This lot are a triumph of style over substance

Glad it's not just me can't find any meat on those bones so.
    A metal hoop for tieing sheep wire, you've lost me there?

Sorry. Not very clear. Its a flat bar about 3in long with a turn at the end. 2 notches cut in the turn so you can catch the sheep wire and turn it around itself when tieing off wire after straining. The side profile is life a j and the notches at the turn. Used it today and it looks handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Sorry. Not very clear. Its a flat bar about 3in long with a turn at the end. 2 notches cut in the turn so you can catch the sheep wire and turn it around itself when tieing off wire after straining. The side profile is life a j and the notches at the turn. Used it today and it looks handy

Is it like the thing at the top of this page?
    http://www.connachtagri.ie/index.php?p=87

On the fencing & mobile handling scheme - when are details supposed to be anounced? Who should know this info - the dept? Am in the same boat as yerself JohnGalway - extra fencing, and extra handling bits needed.

Does anyone think this could go the same way as the Farm Waste Mgt scheme - where the price of stakes, wire, etc will shoot up when the grant is available...

No. It is used after that to roll the wire around the strained wire to form a cylinder more or less around the wire. Eases pressure on the thumbs when tying off the wire around the stake

• Advertisement

No. It is used after that to roll the wire around the strained wire to form a cylinder more or less around the wire. Eases pressure on the thumbs when tying off the wire around the stake

Ah, ok - gothca.

And re-reading yer previous post, it said 3 inches... so not sure why i thought twas that other yoke... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

johngalway wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Any details on this yet? I had a bit of a look around but must need to go back to Specsavers, just founds bits "The minister is" this, that and the other.

Thinking over changing from set grazing to rotational, which will mean an amount of extra internal fencing. Just wondering would I qualify. Also be no hard adding some extra handling bits, though I do have two good pens already.

ATB,

John

open for applications in November

snowman707 wrote: »
    open for applications in November

Am I right in saying - you do the work, buy the posts, wire, etc, and then submit yer receipts to the dept. for the grant.

But are there minimum specs or materials that I need to get? Certain size, type of posts, wire, etc. Is there a list of approved suppliers of handling facilities, etc?
    Just would like to see a bit more detail on it...

Am I right in saying - you do the work, buy the posts, wire, etc, and then submit yer receipts to the dept. for the grant.

But are there minimum specs or materials that I need to get? Certain size, type of posts, wire, etc. Is there a list of approved suppliers of handling facilities, etc?
    Just would like to see a bit more detail on it...

Don't know ,

like yourself will have to wait,

I imagine there will be inspections, and you will have to wait for approval after applying before you commence any work

More info on sheep fencing scheme in farmers journal yesterday. Only those most qualified will get approval and the rest will be held over for the next approval date. Now i am a suspicious type by nature but i still cant help feeling that the best way of qualifying for a grant is to be in FF party and a customer of AIB. A few ewes would help but i dont think it will be essential. The way it is described in the journal makes it seen open, wide wide open, to political manipulation. I wonder what the voting pattern will be for the first lot of approvals:(

• Advertisement

Did anyone hear anything more about this?

I applied back in Jan - but have yet to hear anything as to whether I was successful or not...

Anyone else who applied hear anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Did anyone hear anything more about this?

I applied back in Jan - but have yet to hear anything as to whether I was successful or not...

Anyone else who applied hear anything?
    I phoned them a few weeks ago, they said they were still processing the applications, seems there were loads!!!

Rang the dept. on this and they said they are "hoping" to have the applications sent to local offices end of next week... how long after that before we hear I dont know :(

I was also told that the third tranch is now closed, and far less people applied this time. Closed apparently on May 3rd. :confused:

Does anyone know where I could find more info on this? When is the deadline for the next one, or is there a next tranch?

Was also told that if you dont qualify in this tranch (ending Jan 31st deadline), your application is automatically added to the next one. This is prob a good ting - but you wouldnt want to be depending on a quick turn around to do some fencing would you... you would be forever waiting for approval... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Depending on the Dept. for a quick turn around in anything is questionable practice :p

Did anybody get approval or other wise re this scheme, we had a query which we answered last June and have heard SFA since, Drawing up a list to for DEPT. @ the plowing and this is one item on it

would be nice to know how other are faring?

Did anybody get approval or other wise re this scheme, we had a query which we answered last June and have heard SFA since, Drawing up a list to for DEPT. @ the plowing and this is one item on it

would be nice to know how other are faring?

Hello Snowman,

Had an inspection last week for it. They measured the boundary where the fence is going, reviewed flock book. That was about it...

No idea as to when or what I'll hear next am afraid. They didnt give any idea as to when they'd get back to me, I dont think they knew themselves. :(

PS - I got the impression I was "approved", and that they had to inspect a % (I was one of the lucky ones) I would ring yer local office and see what the story is. They should be able to tell you whether you got it or not. I was onto my office a few weeks ago, and to be fair, they were good.

Hello Snowman,

Had an inspection last week for it. They measured the boundary where the fence is going, reviewed flock book. That was about it...

No idea as to when or what I'll hear next am afraid. They didnt give any idea as to when they'd get back to me, I dont think they knew themselves. :(

PS - I got the impression I was "approved", and that they had to inspect a % (I was one of the lucky ones) I would ring yer local office and see what the story is. They should be able to tell you whether you got it or not. I was onto my office a few weeks ago, and to be fair, they were good.

Thanks John, well your'e one step better off than I am,

Looks like the usual scenario so.. the major expense of the scheme will be in administration,

other than actual pay outs. some things just never change

Thanks John, well your'e one step better off than I am,

Looks like the usual scenario so.. the major expense of the scheme will be in administration,

other than actual pay outs. some things just never change

Did you get any more info on this at the ploughing Snowman?

Anyone else hear anything more?

Did you get any more info on this at the ploughing Snowman?

Anyone else hear anything more?

a very nice lady check my application and said my file was sent to the local office 3 months ago, gave me a name and a direct line to ring

after 3 0r 4 tries the phone was eventually answered and was told said official was moved to another office,

in fairness the lady that answered rang back later in the day and gave me the name of another official who was off last week but promised she would him to ring first thing this morning , now 4 pm and no call
    seems I'm listed for inspection

couldn't be bothered ringing them any more

well had my the inspection, and got my approval to day,

• Advertisement

well had my the inspection, and got my approval to day,

Glad to hear snowman - I got my approval letter there 2 weeks ago maybe.

Bit later than I had hoped, I had half planned to do the fencing during the summer. It'll be a next summer job now. But sure better late than never. ;)

well got the son (with 1 arm in plaster cast) and the brother in law in tow, and we attacked this during the week,

got just under 1600 mtrs done, was trying to up load more pics but failed

now to sort out the paper work and try to recover some of my outlay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Fine looking stakes ,what price were they if you dont mind thanks ?

moy83 wrote: »
    Fine looking stakes ,what price were they if you dont mind thanks ?

6 foot stakes are €6.70

7 foot strainers €15.50

8 foot strainers €17.50 all prices VAT inclusive

the posts have to be certified and the strainers have to be of certain dimensions and have a metal tag

the above prices are higher than I had agreed with my supplier, because the posts he had in stock were not certified nor were the strainers tagged so we had to get them delivered from the distributor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭razor8

crazy prices, i got a quote 6 months ago for €6 a piece and i thought he was joking.
    it makes the grant of little use at that rate of going!

razor8 wrote: »
    crazy prices, i got a quote 6 months ago for €6 a piece and i thought he was joking.
    it makes the grant of little use at that rate of going!

not really, we have creosoted stakes which were driven in 1990 and they are still perfect, actually we pulled some of them during the summer and drove them again

in between years we bought others which lasted for a max of 5 to 7 years ,

I would rather give a tenner for proper stake than give €3 for something which will be rotten in a couple of years

with the vat back and grant it is an opportunity to avail of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Cran

Does anyone know if this scheme is open for applicants? Lad asked me last night and I didn't know, just curious really......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭razor8

it is as far as i know

Advertisement