Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get an A in Higher Level Chemistry?

• 22-09-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Firstly I would consider myself to be an ''average'' student.
    I'm in 6th year and have been doing Chemistry since the beginning of 5th year.
    Personally I would love to achieve an A in H.L Chemistry.
    I am willing to work hard but need some advice/informative notes to do so!
    Please reply asap (especially if you achieved this score)...
    Thank you :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

hi i repeated and got an a1, got a c2 the fist time so i've done it the right way and the wrong way. the most important thing to do is go over all the past exam questions with the marking schemes over and over again, the pass ones too. they ask the same stuff alot so if you do that you are guaranteed to get some identical questions. know organic chemistry really really well, it's worth so many marks, the most marks i think, along with atomicc theory. learn all of the titrations, and all the organic experiments. they're on every year and there's not really much to them once you learn all the answers from the marking schemes. learn the definitions, so many come up every year. they're really fussy about how you phrase them ie saying atom, compound, particle or whatever. Prcatice the short questions, they seem easy but you really do need to do all the past ones to be sure you'll get full marks in that section. The chemistry paper is very structured so it's easy to prepare for, that's what makes it easy to get an a, what makes it hard to get an a is you really do have to know your stuff, there's no room for waffling

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

Well done on your result! And thanks very much.
    Anybody else?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

A few things you need to focus on:

1. Learn your definitions so that you know them word perfectly. You'd be surprised how many marks you can get from just rattling them off. The marking scheme can be very severe though (like in Biology), so they need to be exact.

2. Practice calculations. Just 'knowing' how to do them after one example is fine and well, but you're more likely to remember how to do them (and the trickier ones) if you do 8-10 of each one.

3. Marking schemes are your best friend (found @ www.examinations.ie). Practise doing exam questions, and check out how those questions were marked. You'll find that mentioning a few specific words will get you most of the marks, while not mentioning them may mean you get none. This is particularly true for the atomic theory question (as well as organic reactions).

4. Spend most of your time on the most important sections. Organic Chemistry in particular is vital, as you could get up to 3/4 out of 11 of your questions out of it when you include the experiments. Other important sections are Water, Rates of Reaction, Equilibrium, Atomic Theory, and of course all of the experiments.

Again thanks for your help.
    On average, how many hours of study a night should I do to achieve this result?

That depends on yourself. You wouldn't have to do Chemistry every night to get a good result. It's very clichéd at this stage, but as they say, it's the quality not the quantity that counts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ddyradd

Hi, Leaving Cert Chemistry is all about the past papers. For example the 2010 Titration Question was extremely in keeping with the style set out by previous exam papers. I would suggest doing EVERY past paper question and correcting them in a hardback book before christmas ( well all that you have covered). Repeat this over the Xmas breaks for the mocks and repeat again before the actual leaving cert. I did this and got 358 marks out of 400 ( an A2 89.5%). If only iI had looked over a bomb calorimeter or PVC !

The main reason for people not achieving A1 grades is nothing to do with a gap in knowledge in Chemistry. Rather a failure in understanding the appropriate examination technique is a more common error.

Past Papers all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Hi I got an A in chem last June and it's definitely doable :)

I did every past paper back about 10 years and our teacher also supplied old mock papers. The further you go back though you'll start to see things that you don't recognise that were on the old course.

Know the definitions word for word. No room for your own twist at all. The making scheme for chemistry is unbelievably tight.

Know every single titration inside out because it would be careless not to as there are only 8 or something and one is guaranteed. Other major experiments are things like rates of reaction, equilibrium, mr volatile liquid, recrystallisiation.

Organic chemistry is also a brilliant section to pick up high grades in because it's one of those areas in the syllabus that must appear in the exam. You are guaranteed at least 1.5 questions on the paper.

For the short questions know names of scientists, random facts, definitions, organic chemistry molecular structures, basic stoichiometry, electron configuration.

Q5 will be things you did in early 5th year. Bonding, atomic structure, radioactivity. Watch this question as most people are inclined to waffle a lot about random rubbish they remember from early 5th and half of it doesn't relate to the question. I never did this one and didn't in the leaving either. Looks easy but marking schemes can be a mess for this question and it almost encourages you to waffle.

The later questions with parts a,b,c pick 2, do all 3. I did this in the leaving and had no problems at all with timing. They'll pick your best 2.

Learn equilibrium well for a definite question including the calculations. Once you crack the calculation you'll get them all because they hardly vary at all.

pH is also popular.

Spend lots of time on experiments. The whole first section of the paper is based solely on experiments. Aim to be able to do all 3 questions in section one. Its one of the most predictable areas of the paper and follows a reliable pattern that anyone can work out.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great :)

Thanks guys!
    Keep the information coming this way :P

How much should I revise for the mocks to get an average grade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

dambarude wrote: »
    A few things you need to focus on:

1. Learn your definitions so that you know them word perfectly. You'd be surprised how many marks you can get from just rattling them off. The marking scheme can be very severe though (like in Biology), so they need to be exact.

Quick question- are you safe to learn the definitions supplied in the marking schemes or are they likely to change?

• Advertisement

Quick question- are you safe to learn the definitions supplied in the marking schemes or are they likely to change?

The ones in the marking scheme would be the safest to learn, but that does not mean that they won't look for more in a definition in one year that they didn't look for before. The amount of marks going for a question should tell you how many chunks of key info your definition should include.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Victoria. wrote: »
    Hi I got an A in chem last June and it's definitely doable :)

I did every past paper back about 10-15 years and our teacher also supplied old mock papers. The further you go back though you'll start to see things that you don't recognise that were on the old course.

Know the definitions word for word. No room for your own twist at all. The making scheme for chemistry is unbelievably tight.

Know every single titration inside out because it would be careless not to as there are only 8 or something and one is guaranteed. Other major experiments are things like rates of reaction, equilibrium, mr volatile liquid, recrystallisiation.

Organic chemistry is also a brilliant section to pick up high grades in because it's one of those areas in the syllabus that must appear in the exam. You are guaranteed at least 1.5 questions on the paper.

For the short questions know names of scientists, random facts, definitions, organic chemistry molecular structures, basic stoichiometry, electron configuration.

Q5 will be things you did in early 5th year. Bonding, atomic structure, radioactivity. Watch this question as most people are inclined to waffle a lot about random rubbish they remember from early 5th and half of it doesn't relate to the question. I never did this one and didn't in the leaving either. Looks easy but marking schemes can be a mess for this question and it almost encourages you to waffle.

The later questions with parts a,b,c pick 2, do all 3. I did this in the leaving and had no problems at all with timing. They'll pick your best 2.

Learn equilibrium well for a definite question including the calculations. Once you crack the calculation you'll get them all because they hardly vary at all.

pH is also popular.

Spend lots of time on experiments. The whole first section of the paper is based solely on experiments. Aim to be able to do all 3 questions in section one. Its one of the most predictable areas of the paper and follows a reliable pattern that anyone can work out.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great :)

Going back 15 years is pointless, the course has changed quite a bit (easier and less interesting imo). No point going back beyond 2003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

i got an a1 in june and i worked so hard for this. my teacher wasn't great but we managed to finish the course in february so we did pre questions in class and revised difficult chapters! i had all of the exam papers done as far back as 2002(when the course changed) by may. for the 3 weeks before the lc i put away my books and did every exam question again, if you don't know it at that stage you never will!! there's a really good book i used the whole time last year, "chemistry exam edge", it had all the past exam questions done out and important tips to remember. i highlighted all the difficult bits or answers i wasn't sure of or had trouble remembering so the night before the lc i was able to go through this book. if you are really serious about an a grade, do your hw, listen in class and study for every class test. learn all your definitions as these are so important and be familiar with all the different types of calculations! also don't be afraid to ask questions in class if you don't understand something! good luck:)

i like pie wrote: »
    i got an a1 in june and i worked so hard for this. my teacher wasn't great but we managed to finish the course in february so we did pre questions in class and revised difficult chapters! i had all of the exam papers done as far back as 2002(when the course changed) by may. for the 3 weeks before the lc i put away my books and did every exam question again, if you don't know it at that stage you never will!! there's a really good book i used the whole time last year, "chemistry exam edge", it had all the past exam questions done out and important tips to remember. i highlighted all the difficult bits or answers i wasn't sure of or had trouble remembering so the night before the lc i was able to go through this book. if you are really serious about an a grade, do your hw, listen in class and study for every class test. learn all your definitions as these are so important and be familiar with all the different types of calculations! also don't be afraid to ask questions in class if you don't understand something! good luck:)

Thanks so much!
    Quick question - Would you have considered Chemistry to be one of your strongest subjects in 5th year or did you just work really hard in 6th year?

I didn't do much work in 5th year but I'm willing to make up for lost time.

Sm4shbox wrote: »
    Thanks so much!
    Quick question - Would you have considered Chemistry to be one of your strongest subjects in 5th year or did you just work really hard in 6th year?

I didn't do much work in 5th year but I'm willing to make up for lost time.

it was definitely not one of my strong subjects in 5th year, i didn't put in much effort really! sometimes i didn't even do my homework!! but i really copped on in 6th year and tried my best:) a year is plenty of time to work at a subject if you are serious about doing well. i was never an a student until the pre's when i got an a2 in chemistry, my teacher was quite surprised with that when i usually got b's or c's in my christmas/summer tests:p

Wow well done :P
    Thanks for the help you guys.

Hey I have another question.
    To anybody who used the Chemistry Essentials Unfolded revision book by Celtic Press... Did you find it worthwhile and good?
    I'm wondering if I just learn all the information in that and revise some exam questions will I get an A1?
    What I really mean is does it provide enough relevant info for the exam?

Thanks again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

I'm wondering if I just learn all the information in that and revise some exam questions will I get an A1?

No, don't be silly.

Honestly, I don't do chemistry but as with any subject I would extremely wary of studying solely of a very condensed booklet. An A1 isn't just going to appear, as well as knowing your stuff you have to have at least have a basic aptitude for the subject etc etc

Hey I have another question.
    To anybody who used the Chemistry Essentials Unfolded revision book by Celtic Press... Did you find it worthwhile and good?
    What I really mean is does it provide enough relevant info for the exam?

Thanks again :p

em basically no! in my school the biology version of this book is called biology for the pass, so i doubt it would get you an a1. your better off learning from your book, doing the exam q's and then referring to these books if you are having trouble with something. Don't depend on something this simple and condensed for a high grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

i like pie wrote: »
    em basically no! in my school the biology version of this book is called biology for the pass, so i doubt it would get you an a1. your better off learning from your book, doing the exam q's and then referring to these books if you are having trouble with something. Don't depend on something this simple and condensed for a high grade.

Heh heh, my teacher calls it 'Biology for the Simple' so I wouldn't be relying on it for Chemistry at all at all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Looking at the actual sylabus is helpful as it can help you cut the crap that it written in your book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

Firstly I would consider myself to be an ''average'' student.
    I'm in 6th year and have been doing Chemistry since the beginning of 5th year.
    Personally I would love to achieve an A in H.L Chemistry.
    I am willing to work hard but need some advice/informative notes to do so!
    Please reply asap (especially if you achieved this score)...
    Thank you :p

Hello,
    Im in the exact same position as you.
    My teacher has that Exam Edge book and she photocopies out stuff from it for us,it really clears up where u would gain and loose marks.
    I need a B1 in chemistry to get into the course I want but an A2 would be soooo nice :) I have to knuckle down and your post has helped me say get the ball rolling and what to focus on later,exam questions,definitions etc.

One question for you...have you started studying Chem?How long a night?weekends?Do you do it by topic? I just tried this weekend,I ended up reading the chapter as all I could think of was all the other stuff I've to learn but that was before I read this post :D

Hello,
    Im in the exact same position as you.
    My teacher has that Exam Edge book and she photocopies out stuff from it for us,it really clears up where u would gain and loose marks.
    I need a B1 in chemistry to get into the course I want but an A2 would be soooo nice :) I have to knuckle down and your post has helped me say get the ball rolling and what to focus on later,exam questions,definitions etc.

One question for you...have you started studying Chem?How long a night?weekends?Do you do it by topic? I just tried this weekend,I ended up reading the chapter as all I could think of was all the other stuff I've to learn but that was before I read this post :D

Hey!
    Yes in fact I have been studying since the 1st of September.
    To be honest I have only been gradually introducing each subject and have not done any ''hardcore'' studying yet...
    Usually I just study chemistry at the weekend.
    I have been taking one topic a week! (Or just about depending on how busy I am during the weekend.)
    I write out notes, learn them and then try all the exam questions relevant to that topic!

So far I've been doing okay, hopefully I'll achieve an A2 or A1 as well :P

Best of luck :cool:

Woah,well done :) I planned to start from September too but yeah drastic set back so only getting in the swing of things now!That's a good idea,one topic per weekend.;) Hmm so about 2 ish hours I'm guessing?

I was looking through that Exam edge book today,I never structure my answers like that...so I may buy it and get cracking because what I'm doing at the moment just won't make the grade at the end of the day.I highly recommend it!!!It points out why and how to get full marks.It answers all exam questions by topic too which is extremelly handy ^^^ well worht the €12 or so :D

I wish you the best of luck too :) I'm sure with your hard work the grade will follow :D

Woah,well done :) I planned to start from September too but yeah drastic set back so only getting in the swing of things now!That's a good idea,one topic per weekend.;) Hmm so about 2 ish hours I'm guessing?

I was looking through that Exam edge book today,I never structure my answers like that...so I may buy it and get cracking because what I'm doing at the moment just won't make the grade at the end of the day.I highly recommend it!!!It points out why and how to get full marks.It answers all exam questions by topic too which is extremelly handy ^^^ well worht the €12 or so :D

I wish you the best of luck too :) I'm sure with your hard work the grade will follow :D

Yes I bought that book! It's really good for revision and correcting work...
    Keep me updated with your progress. It should be an interesting year :P

Good luck :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Get better at cramming I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 j'aime

I'm kind of in the same boat as you! i would really love to get an A1/A2 in chemistry and to be honest i need it with regards my points! I used to think i was good at chemistry but since ive been introduced to organic chem/preparations and all that im beginning to doubt my ability :confused: i find them really hard and i just cannot remember them! I write out notes and learn them but a few days later they're forgotten, its so frustrating! have ye any advice on studying for chem? my methods just dont seem to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I got an A (over 5 years ago now so I'm reluctant to give too much advice from memory) and I would say that the no.1 thing is the marking schemes. Also, try to have a good general knowledge of all the topics rather than picking your topics and aiming to be "perfect" at these. Two reasons for this - Firstly, there can be a bit of mixing, even in situations where you might be under the impression that there won't be e.g. your practical experiment questions can contain a bit of theory related to them. Secondly, most leaving cert. papers across all subjects have at least one "tough" or "original" type of question. You know, the ones they ring up Joe Duffy about. Be in a position to avoid it by having covered the other topics.

j'aime wrote: »
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you! i would really love to get an A1/A2 in chemistry and to be honest i need it with regards my points! I used to think i was good at chemistry but since ive been introduced to organic chem/preparations and all that im beginning to doubt my ability :confused: i find them really hard and i just cannot remember them! I write out notes and learn them but a few days later they're forgotten, its so frustrating! have ye any advice on studying for chem? my methods just dont seem to work!

I find chemistry a matter of just reading it and then re-read the same sentence how many times it takes until I remember it and more importantly understand it. Organic..we're just about finished it,I find it extremely easy when we are doing it..but I'm only starting now to revise but I remember most stuff.Did you ask your teacher what you don't understand?They are there to help after all :) I'm sure they'd be glad to help,I know mine would be. Everyone learns stuff different,u might learn a definition one night by reading it and saying it out loud to ure able to write it down.That's what I'd do. ( I go through an awful lot of paper lol) but it works..you just got to find what works for you!!What I mean is experiment with your study methods if they arent working effectively.You could try drinking some Siberian Gingsing for Mental Alertness...it helped me drastically with learning Irish vocab..I can learn 40 words within 20 mins including spelling.Also make sure when you go to study,it's quite.turn OFF your phone :P Biggest distraction ever,make sure u had a good nights sleep and your in a well lit room and had some nurtitious food!Then you can focus on learning all about your Alkenes,Hydrocarbons,Esters etc. ;) I wish you sucess :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I don't know if this has been mentioned already but if you got a glossary of chemical definitions and learnt them all off you should be able to get 12.5% of the exam alone from them.

Advertisement