Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moreno

• 22-09-2010 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

The ref who saw Italy out of the World Cup in 2002, has been arrested, apparently he's dishonest!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

The ref who saw Italy out of the World Cup in 2002, has been arrested, apparently he's dishonest!
    He's just one that got caught. I'd say cheating is rampant in football by referee's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Trap: Moreno was always dodgy...
    Wednesday 22 September, 2010
    Giovanni Trapattoni, Angelo Di Livio and President Giancarlo Abete feel Byron Moreno’s arrest proves “what we thought about him in 2002.”

The Ecuadorian former referee was arrested in New York’s JFK airport last night with 6kg of heroin allegedly stashed in his underwear.

“I wasn’t entirely surprised,” confessed Trapattoni, who was in charge of the Italy side that Moreno controversially officiated in their 2002 World Cup exit to South Korea.

“It confirms more or less everything I thought about him at the time of that World Cup.

“I remember that game very well. The Francesco Totti red card and the annulment of a clear goal from Damiano Tommasi. We deserved to go through.”

Di Livio was one of the players on the field in that 2-1 extra time defeat to the World Cup hosts.

“If we’re going to joke, then I agree with Gigi Buffon when he said Moreno looked like he was on drugs during the game,” smiled the former Juventus and Fiorentina midfielder.

“He didn’t exactly seem clear-headed. We had our suspicions at the time, seeing the way he acted with us and the expression on his face was an emblem of the person he was.

“Someone who behaves like this ought to be punished. How dare he try to carry 6kg of drugs into an airport?”

FIGC President Abete also took this opportunity to look back on the incidents in South Korea.

“This arrest confirms that Moreno couldn’t really be considered a trustworthy person.

“It would be a real push to connect the two incidents after an eight-year gap, but this does prove Moreno’s career hasn’t exactly taken a clean path.”

Moreno had already been struck off the register by FIFA after officiating a game in Ecuador in 2003.

He added six minutes of injury time, which then turned into an incredible 13 minutes, during which the Quito side was able to overturn a 2-1 result to beat Barcelona 3-2.

At the time, Moreno was running for a place on the local council in Quito.

It’s reported the former referee could now face 10 years in prison for trying to smuggle 6kg of heroin, which has a market value of half a million dollars.

Advertisement