Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music produced after 2009-is it ****e?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I have a headache after listening to the music on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I blame Louis Walsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

everything went shite when joe dolan died

Is he dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

All of those bands are utter ****e and i have a hard time telling them apart. Current 'indie'/rock music is garbage.
    You don't know who half of them are, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Is he dead?

If he isn't burying him was a serious fortunate mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Mick Flannery OP. Give him a listen.

Also Pink Floyd. Timeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Still heaps of great music being made - too much to listen to. You're just lazy as **** and aren't looking outside the FM bandwith.

Aye, all the cool bands are in longwave form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Become a hipster. Peruse Pitchfork and Drowned in Sound. They have forums too. If you think the people around here are w*nkers ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Sure do. MySpace garage bands that got backed by the right hipster on Pitchfork.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from After Hours.
    Music has been crap for aaaages IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Yeah its all gone "Some black guy with over-sized glasses wearing bling!)

But they have rather hot ladies in there videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I was at Paulo Nutini last night in Killarney. Whatever ye think of his music, tis a rare thing these days to have an artist who can properly sing live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

No mention of Irish music on this thread. Most annoying! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

mikom wrote: »

Very (Nathan) Barley :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fancy a game of cock, muff, bum hole?

squod wrote: »

No mention of Irish music on this thread. Most annoying! :mad:

Hipsters in skinny jeans singing middle of the road crud. I hate young people :mad:

/is 27 and wants grunge back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

All of those bands are utter ****e and i have a hard time telling them apart. Current 'indie'/rock music is garbage.

Well done you. From reading what you have said, it's glaringly obvious that you have listened to all of those bands. It's fascinating that you 'have a hard time telling them apart'. I'm sure you do.
    Sure do.

No you don't. I'm quite confident when I say you haven't a bulls notion about any of them. So yeah, get schooled before you start trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Beethoven was good before he sold out.

Sweet wrote: »
    Well done you. From reading what you have said, it's glaringly obvious that you have listened to all of those bands. It's fascinating that you 'have a hard time telling them apart'. I'm sure you do.

How so?

I have listened to them and they all suck and sound the same. And of course when they emerged they were all the 'best band ever' for all of 2 weeks according to music journalists who are now obsessed with being the first to 'discover' a new band regardless of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Yeah, I think that "you suck at finding music" post pretty much sums it up. If you haven't bothered your arse actually listening to new music, you don't get to whine that you can't find any you like. Music didn't get sh*te, you did.
    Sure do. MySpace garage bands that got backed by the right hipster on Pitchfork.

You fairly obviously don't, or you'd know why comparing Bon Iver to LCD Soundsystem doesn't work at all.

As for the Pitchfork thing, that's a laaaaaaazy answer. Actual hipsters abandoned Pitckfork ages ago, the second anybody else heard of it. In the meantime, so long as you ignore the fairly meaningless scoring system, it's actually a pretty good resource for keeping tabs on up and coming bands.

If you still don't want to slum it with the rest of us, there are plenty of other blogs out there - plenty of Irish ones, too - doing a fine job of making great music a) visible and b) available. There is more great music within your fingertips' reach than there's ever been at any time in history, and there's no excuse for bemoaning a lack of it.

The trick is finding a place to start.

(One of those places might be with The National's High Violet, incidentally.)

• Advertisement

How so?

I have listened to them and they all suck and sound the same. And of course when they emerged they were all the 'best band ever' for all of 2 weeks according to music journalists who are now obsessed with being the first to 'discover' a new band regardless of quality.
    Garage rock sounds like electronica sounds like folk?

I don't like all the bands that were listed but you're bluffing, and bluffing badly.

Incidentally, did the OP mean 1999, or does he just have a particular beef with 2010?

Incidentally, did the OP mean 1999, or does he just have a particular beef with 2010?
    With sterile rants like these the year is generally arbitrary. Pick an era an bemoan how music been on the wane since in ended, whether it be the break-up of The Beatles, the death of Kurt Cobain, or anything you fancy really.

Hmm. People feeling a little alienated by modern pop culture and nostalgic for times music past, and perhaps realising that actually, they might just a little too old to run with the kids anymore.

Oh, if only there were a band/song from the last ten years that covered this precise predicament!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Why don't you name us some of your favourites then oh wise one. I'd really love to see your safe as houses ipod list.

Keep it mencaf you fu-ckaneer. Totally Mexico.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I'd really love to see your safe as houses ipod list.

AHAHAHAHAHA :D

That is ****ing priceless.

"Oh my, you're so adventurous and cool with all these trendy bands that no one knows on your iPod. Can i be in your cool-kid gang? Is it safe? I hope not"

If this is the attitude you have to the music that you and others listen to then you're just listening to some stuff to be different for the sake of being different.

Nope. That's not what he said. You're having a phantom argument because you can't answer the one that's been put to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Suggesting that all music (every genre/style) suddenly got bad in the last two years is a lazy and defeatist opinion, there's no substance in that argument.

Can I ask you what you feel was good about x genre/band/label/scene pre-2009 that is longer present?

"Oh my, you're so adventurous and cool with all these trendy bands that no one knows on your iPod. Can i be in your cool-kid gang? Is it safe? I hope not"

If this is the attitude you have to the music that you and others listen to then you're just listening to some stuff to be different for the sake of being different.
    Please give us a nudge in the right direction, then.

I feel I need to move away from skinny-jeans-wearing indie-rock bands like LCD Soundsystem and Fleet Foxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

AHAHAHAHAHA :D

That is ****ing priceless.

That's utter tripe, and you're seriously suggesting that's reason to ignore underground/experimental bands. It's up to the person who owns the ears listening to the music, whether they've found it on FM104 or Pitchfork, they'll like it or they won't on its own terms.

Advertisement