Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rain gear

• 22-09-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I've been lucky over the summer and only had to use my rain gear maybe 2-3 times so far.

On each occasion I still got soaked! The rain gear is trapping sweat and just soaking me from the inside out, Obviously not really to pleasant.

What do people use for rain gear that actually keeps them dry? Save for the face maybe.

Any handy tips for keeping my feet dry as well, a bit cumbersome taking a extra pair of runners in the back as well as dry socks.

The gear I have is some sort of regatta storm gear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

just wear the bare minimum for the temperature and suck it up soldier. It helps that I have waterproof panniers so I carry a towel and complete change of clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I take a change of clothes with my to work but the less sweat the better. I do wipe myself down once I get to work with babywipes, not quite a shower but better than sitting in the office being all smelly. The sweating with rain gear leave my bottoms and jumper wet and I have no where to dry them out before needing them again on the cycle home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

I'll get this one in before Blorg:D
    dhb eVENT jacket. Excellent jacket going cheap right now. It'll keep the rain completely out and I've yet to start sweating in mine. No need to stop and take it off when the rain stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I use something very like this for keeping feet dry when the rain is very heavy. I wear Brasher boots most of the time, so they're somewhat rain-resistant to begin with.

Rain-Bootie-Shoe-Cover-1.jpg

Other than that, I wear a Ultramontane rain smock, an Outdoor Research rain hat and Altura rain trousers.

The rain trousers are a little hard to take off over boots. Perhaps Altura should consult with the people who make trousers for strippers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Would want to be good for that price! What about keeping the head dry when it rains? Any recommendation for (over?) trousers?

Knew there was something to keep the feet dry although it looks a bit laughable :p But beats wet feet offcourse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Not too bothered about getting wet, as long as I look good in the process.

tulead89077899.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

jozi wrote: »
    I've been lucky over the summer and only had to use my rain gear maybe 2-3 times so far.

On each occasion I still got soaked! The rain gear is trapping sweat and just soaking me from the inside out, Obviously not really to pleasant.

What do people use for rain gear that actually keeps them dry? Save for the face maybe.

Any handy tips for keeping my feet dry as well, a bit cumbersome taking a extra pair of runners in the back as well as dry socks.

The gear I have is some sort of regatta storm gear.

If you cycle in the rain, your going to get wet!, either rainwater and/or sweat. Keeping dry is not important, keeping your self WARM (in winter) is what counts. Oh and as RAAM says, Lookin good! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What about keeping the head dry when it rains? Any recommendation for (over?) trousers?

The Altura overtrousers I have are ok -- certainly quite waterproof -- and not too expensive, but they're not the most breathable in the world. I'm not sure you'd cycle more than about 20km in them. You can always just wear shorts under them though, which I do sometimes.

I don't wear a helmet, so I can wear a rain hat. Outdoor Research does a range for hikers and anglers. You can velcro the sides up, which stops the brim blowing down over your eyes, but it gives you a rather Australian soldier look.

If you do wear a helmet, Richard Ballantine recommends stretching a shower cap over the helmet.
    Knew there was something to keep the feet dry although it looks a bit laughable :p But beats wet feet offcourse!

Coupled with my bright yellow rainsmock and the slightly odd hat, it means I look a bit of a state when it rains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

07Lapierre wrote: »
    If you cycle in the rain, your going to get wet!, either rainwater and/or sweat. Keeping dry is not important, keeping your self WARM (in winter) is what counts. Oh and as RAAM says, Lookin good! :)
    As a caveat to that though, I'd say keeping your shoes dry is a good idea as they hold water far more than any other clothes. Damp shoes + warm feet = stinky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Blowfish wrote: »
    As a caveat to that though, I'd say keeping your shoes dry is a good idea as they hold water far more than any other clothes. Damp shoes + warm feet = stinky.

Yeah my shoes are rank right now.

For feet, I go for a warm pair of wool hiking socks in the depths of winter. Then either Belgian Booties or if it's really bad, heavier over shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Blowfish wrote: »

+1 but IMHO unavoidable. I'd still prefer warm (and maybe, but not always stinky) feet over COLD feet. but thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

bike-rain-roof1.jpg

It wouldn't be a rain gear thread without chucking one of these pics in, and my personal fav...

bike-umbrella.jpg&t=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Raam wrote: »
    Not too bothered about getting wet, as long as I look good in the process.

tulead89077899.jpg

Interesting to see the problem I found last night also highlighted in that picture : Glasses.

I'm glad I asked for the vented option on the radar's I bought - they work great for clearing the condensation (when stopped at the lights). But the rain drops on the lenses (a la pic) don't fall away all the time meaning inopportune occasional blindness from oncoming car headlights - in the dark or semi dark anyway.

On a more clothing related note, I found the warm leggings (from ROK_ON) worked brilliantly, and I didn't notice "so to speak" the rain until I stopped at home. The clever "air vents" on the shoes though do leave a lot to be desired in rain.

Advertisement