Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC capping downloads?

• 22-09-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi

This morning I noticed my upc 30meg connection was down and when I got back today I noticed downloads seemly capped at around 100kb/s

speedtest.net says I am getting the full 30meg but it really doesn't seem like it.

Anyone else get this and know whats going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If speedtest tells you it's 30Mbps, then that's what it is. If something you're downloading is coming down at a slower rate, then it could be whatever you're downloading from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Don't know if this applies but could throttling of torrents be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Dongasaurus

Had a poke around and it just seems that the network is in a bit of a tizzy right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Is there a way of checking your monthly download stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Not with UPC so far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you need to keep track of what you're downloading yourself, UPC don't supply a way of doing it at the customer end although they do keep stats on a rolling 30 day period and also 1st to last of the month with a 250gb (both up & down combined) fair/acceptable usage limit.

most decent routers these days will allow bandwidth monitoring (except the ones UPC provide unfortunately) or if you only have one pc connected something like DU Meter or another bandwidth monitoring tool will do the job.

i seem to remember reading on here that UPC have employed traffic shaping in over contended areas in the past, but i haven't seen much about it for a good while and had kind of forgotten about it.

Advertisement