Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Gorey Bike shop review

• 22-09-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

I am conscious that I dont want to be commercial here, and I will write this as a review, kinda Sunday World, Pub spy if you like. I have no connections with this shop other than I am a customer giving my bike in for a service in a new bike shop business, and these are my honest first impressions. Moderator can help me here, but I did notice another post about the best bike shops in ireland, so on that basis, I think I can keep this post within the accepatble parameters.

http://www.revolvebikeshop.ie/

Dropped into a certain new bike shop in Gorey today , situated at the end of the Gorey avenue, in a new looking retail park.

First impressions: Open spacious , well stocked, new bike shop feel, with mixtures of clothing, bikes, parts: toddlers through to serious Italian racers on display, gels, powders etc. Great shop like atmosphere, lighting, display etc. Loads of space to move around.

Greeted promptly, but not intrusivly, by the owner Peter and his wife present in the shop. I was placing my bike ( Scott CR1) in for a service as the chain was getting a little noisy and other bits and pieces needed attention.

Went through what I wanted looked at and the service options. Good service options offfered, and always helpful to have an idea of how much you will spend before you spend it.

What attracted me here was the status of ''one of only two shimano service centers in the country''.

After asking that the status of wear and tear be assessed during the service, Peter promptly suggested to check the chain status there and then. Peter immediatly diagnosed a worn chain, using a caliper type tool to measure stretch, no guess work here. Peter explained what new on the gauge was, what wearing would measure, and what mine was, ( worn !! ).

We discussed replacement options and I was delighted to be offered a Shimano chain, matching an exact like for like replacement on the original Scott spec for the bike.

I didnt know there was a specific 105 chain , and a specific ultegra chain etc etc. Peters knowlegde of shimano, parts, matching, mechanics etc matched those of any professional instrumentation or equipment engineer, as I can testify from my Instrumentation engineering background.

The expectaion of how many chain changes per block was discussed, providing an interesting rule of thumb and guideline.

To be honest and frank, I think I learnt more in five minutes chatting with Peter about gearing options and the bike in general than I have learned after nearly 20 years in bike shops with vague answers in what 'might be possible' . I asked the dumb questions, that i honestly didnt know the answers of, and got an informative courteous reply, that I understood.

Extending my handover time a little, and asking more questions of this very experienced and competant owner/ manager / mechanic, my bike was carefully mounted ( mind the Carbon frame !! ) on a service stand in order to help answer my query. And further front gear options were discussed. We also discussed tyre options.

Peters enthusiasm and knowledge of biking was impressive and Peter was able to check shimano listings for options immediatly on line with Shimano UK.

Very impressive and enthusiastic owner / manager / mechanic. I am realy looking forward to having the bike back on time on friday , and I suspect the bike will feel brand new again, even though tis only about 6 months old, but it has done a lot of work under a heavy load !.

I also have an older Giant MTB with Sram parts, that I would like this shop to assess , service and replace and upgrade.

In reviewing this before submitting, I feel this article is quite informative in its content itself.

Bike is due back friday, I am confident of a good service, in preparation for the Swords Sportive.

I wish Peter and Grace the very best in the future and I hope to become a regular customer in the future.

Will follow up with what happens on friday !! after i pickup the bike. Moderator please review for content .

regards Michael196

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

great review. might pop in there if I'm down that side of the country sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I've been in contact with Peter by email and he does seem to know his stuff. Just posted him a fork for servicing/repair too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Got a call today as a voice mail report and the bill, onto the mobile, voice message as I was away from the phone, and a follow up email when i arrived at work in the evening as Peter did not get to talk to me directly. The bill was well within what i expected , ( even lower than expected), and I got advised on a tyre problem that was I was not aware of.

Striped down and cleaned all shimano parts, regreased and oiled all moving parts including bottom braket and top bracket, all nuts retorrqued ( carbon fibre frame), and new shimano 105 chain fitted. all spokes retightened and checked also. all moving parts chedked for wear and tear. Sticking brake cable replaced. 87 euro. ( 55 for the service and 30 for parts).

So my Kellys Mountain bike will now be dropped off when picking up the racer tomorrow and then I have an older mountain bike with Sram parts, that other shops have literally stopped servicing for me, to have Peter look at as well

will update here tomorrow with the condition after the service.

P.S Was in the leinster loop at the weekend and the bike was filthy when dropped off to Peter.

happy so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Can second that, I've bben in too and he really knows his stuff.

To get accredited as a Shimano service centre, there are a lot of criteria that have to be met, and the minimum standards are pretty stringent - I have a mate who owns 3 bike shops in the UK and he tells me it's not easy to get accredited, and costs a fair few quid too.

Can't ever see the guys at Revolve taking a hammer to yer carbon frame like some might....

Can second that, I've bben in too and he really knows his stuff.

To get accredited as a Shimano service centre, there are a lot of criteria that have to be met, and the minimum standards are pretty stringent - I have a mate who owns 3 bike shops in the UK and he tells me it's not easy to get accredited, and costs a fair few quid too.

Can't ever see the guys at Revolve taking a hammer to yer carbon frame like some might....

when the carbon was being picked up new from the shop, she already had a mark from the bike rack repair thing.

• Advertisement

Bike picked up and into Swords Sportive on sunday,

I cannot say the bike was as new, or even like new, but the bike was new again.

Great service job, bike whizzing along without a sound, feeling solid and well bolted together

thanks Peter for the good work done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭boomdocker

i know several people who have dealt with Peter since he opened in Gorey, mostly with high end mtb stuff - rockshox fork and fox forks and shocks. from what I hear his service is good, price is right and is keen to help.

Good to see a young guy starting out in these recessionary times and I for one hope he does well.

sounds like he has alot of happy customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

I also had my bike in with Peter for a full service, I have an old Raparee circa 1992 with a Dura ace group set, he was interested in the history of the bike as he had never heard of Raparee. Anyways he did a fine job, not pricey, not pushy, only replaced what needed to be replaced. apparently he got his Shimano acccreditation whilst living in NZ.
    Definitley a happy customer.

Secman

Advertisement