Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darksiders any use?

Options
  • 22-09-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

30 quid on PC looks decent prolly prefer a game like that on Xbox but i have xbox controllers for pc now so can save money here :D

looks like Zelda made in US but still kinda good.

Anyone played it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Played it and loved it. It does rip a hell of a lot of things off from other games but it's all stuck together extremely well with some fantastic art from Joe Madureira.

The ending is also ****ing awesome and has me totally stoked for the sequel in 2012. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

One of my favourites of the year so far. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

It is a lot like Zelda, but a very well made game in its own right. There was a demo out on 360/PS3 and I think its meant to be arriving on the PC soon, hunt around the download sites for it to give it a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sidewinderVX

I just started playing it last week for Xbox, it's good, and I picked it up for like €19.99 in Smyths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Mr E wrote: »
    One of my favourites of the year so far. Loved it.

Ditto - the only game that I've ever bothered getting all achievements in
    Well recommended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Bought it on the off chance last year... was a brilliant game in the end and as someone said above it's very Zelda like (which is a very good thing)... the whole theme and the cut scenes are excellent...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Amazing game indeed, I 100% it on the ps3, played it on the pc last night and was disappointed, the mapping of the keys is insane eg. you have to hold caps lock and press 1,2,3,4 to do a special move. It's like they assigned random and purposely awkward keys for war’s different moves. Haven’t try'd changing them but initially it really put me off it..... Shame cause I was so excited about playing it through again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    It is a lot like Zelda, but a very well made game in its own right. There was a demo out on 360/PS3 and I think its meant to be arriving on the PC soon, hunt around the download sites for it to give it a spin.

In stock with play for 34 but Game have it for 29,99

Gonna play it on PC with xbox pad unless i find it cheaper for xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Jesus thats a rip from both places, iv seen it in HMV for like €17 you can get it online for £13

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

its like Zelda but..... chunkier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I picked it up on the XBOX as part of the 5 euro trade in deal ages ago. I played it for about 2 hours and returned it. I thought it was rubbish.
    But it wasn't really my style of game.
    To compare it to Zelda is simply wrong though. I was a massive Zelda fan but could be bothered with Darksiders.

The zelda elements don't really kick in until well after the 2 hour mark. Up to then its just a hack and slash (although a really really good one)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's been too many Zelda references in this thread for me to ignore the game anymore. Going to pick this up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

I picked it up on the XBOX as part of the 5 euro trade in deal ages ago. I played it for about 2 hours and returned it. I thought it was rubbish.
    But it wasn't really my style of game.
    To compare it to Zelda is simply wrong though. I was a massive Zelda fan but could be bothered with Darksiders.

Same. Game has some of the dullest most repetitive combat I've ever played and some pretty poor checkpointing. I got as far as the part where you fight the monster on the highway that throws cars at you, kept having to do the entire level again from underneath the highway, through the building, etc.
    This = Fail.

Stoneskin + Block. :)

If you go toe to toe with that guy, you'll die every time. I agree that the checkpointing there was pretty poor (I was stuck too, and it almost put me off continuing).

Its a shame, because you didn't even get as far as the first proper 'dungeon'.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Darksiders is a brilliant Zelda type game and anyone who says any different obviously didn't get past the start of the game! I can't wait for the sequel!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Same. Game has some of the dullest most repetitive combat I've ever played and some pretty poor checkpointing. I got as far as the part where you fight the monster on the highway that throws cars at you, kept having to do the entire level again from underneath the highway, through the building, etc.
    This = Fail.

Get past all that and the Dungeon/Puzzle aspect kicks in.

Great game.

This = Fail.
    You mean the boss at the end of the first level? Which is pretty much the prologue for the story? :confused:

He wasn't a boss. He was a mid-level tough enemy. :)
    The first proper end of level boss was Tiamat.

Mr E wrote: »
    He wasn't a boss. He was a mid-level tough enemy. :)
    The first proper end of level boss was Tiamat.
    We are talking about your first meeting with Straga, right? I'd consider him a boss tbh regardless of how the fight turns out. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sounds like NunianVonFuch got as far as the broken stair area, I vaguely remember that being an annoying checkpoint too!

You really need to keep playing past that, and don't let the kind of crap
    Panzer Dragoon
    style section put you off either... The game really opens up after that point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Might check this one out, recently got Dragon Age but jesus it gets dull after 20 hours or so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Based on your comments it seems I was at the point where the game started to allow you to have fun, FFXIII style. Might try and beat that section before chucking it so, but grinding through repetitive levels to get to the good parts is no fun at all! Those challenge rooms were pretty muck as well, hopefully they're only in the first section. I checked on raptr and I was only 2 hours into the game, felt like at least double tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Picked this up at lunch for €12 in the Ilac center based on reading this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Good fun game. Bought this and Bayonetta on the same day earlier this year. It's defo worth a play, although the action is kinda slow and clunky. Enjoyable stuff non-the-less.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

TomCo wrote: »
    Picked this up at lunch for €12 in the Ilac center based on reading this thread!

PC or Xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Does the PC retail version tie in to Steam? It's €49.99 to buy from Steam but seemingly way cheaper to buy in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    PC or Xbox?

xbox, there's too big a price difference at this stage to buy it on the PC (as much as it pains me to admit it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

fasty wrote: »
    Does the PC retail version tie in to Steam? It's €49.99 to buy from Steam but seemingly way cheaper to buy in the shops.

Getting a bit peeved with the generic 50 quid price tag slapped on new steam games, direct to drive is 50 aswell :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Kaidan wrote: »
    Getting a bit peeved with the generic 50 quid price tag slapped on new steam games, direct to drive is 50 aswell :mad:

Agreed. I love Steam, but mostly, I wait for special offers now which in the long run will hurt the industry.

Advertisement