Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Video Game bans from around the world

Options
  • 22-09-2010 10:12pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Interesting article on MSN featuring some of the more unusual video game bans from around the world. Some of them aren't all that strange really (For example Fallout 3 in Japan until the setting off a Nuke was quest was removed) but some of them are pretty bizzare.

My personal highlights are Pokemon and Football manager 2005.

http://tech.uk.msn.com/gaming/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=154729503

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I thought the banning of Everquest was a bit mad (pun not intended):
    EverQuest can be pretty addictive. So, if the psychological problems that formed the basis of this ban were, for example, findings that a large number of people were becoming addicted to the game to the detriment of their physical and mental health, it could maybe be partly understood.

But that wasn't it at all - the real reason was far more odd. The Brazilian consumer watchdog, PROCON, believes that since the game sometimes asks you to make decisions in quests on whether or not you will do good or evil deeds, that people could find this too mentally distressing to bear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

humanji wrote: »
    I thought the banning of Everquest was a bit mad (pun not intended):

The reason was pretty bonkers alright, equally bizzare was the fact that it was already nine years old at the time of banning and had never been commercially released in Brazil :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

C&C generals i wouldnt have thought! especially in China. Its probably banned in afganistan etc too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

folan wrote: »
    C&C generals i wouldnt have thought! especially in China. Its probably banned in afganistan etc too
    Technically at the time of C&C generals, afghanistan still didn't have a functioning government....though if they did ban, they really need to start prioritising.

I was surprised anything got banned in Japan...let alone an RPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Ireland seems fairly relaxed in this regards, I remember picking up a copy of Postal in GameStop for the pc years ago, when it was banned in so many other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Anyone got a link to that article on anything other than poxy commie MSN ? That site always forces you on to their mobile site when using an iPhone to browse, and you lose the link you clicked along with it :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to that article on anything other than poxy commie MSN ? That site always forces you on to their mobile site when using an iPhone to browse, and you lose the link you clicked along with it :/

Soz it is an MSN opinion piece so no alternative link :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Ireland seems fairly relaxed in this regards, I remember picking up a copy of Postal in GameStop for the pc years ago, when it was banned in so many other countries.

Thank christ for that...my mate is in Australia and he's playing Left4Dead without any blood....the Ozzie rules are nuts in relation to games..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

sarumite wrote: »

I was surprised anything got banned in Japan...let alone an RPG.

Nuclear bombs going off in a town and Japan?

I thought that was one hell of a predictable ban.

Advertisement