Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping around for a garden shed....HELP!!!

Options
  • 22-09-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi all. Im in the market for a garden shed, something small and simple and i need to pick your collective brains for recommendations and experience. From a quick google search i have picked up on the following company names, Timbertrove, C&S, Tiglin, Kellys, Redsetter and Watters. If you can add any names or give your experience on dealing with any of the above and the product you bought i would appreciate it.

Best value for money with most of the above seems to be an 8'x6' and i think this size would suit me, just for lawnmower, tools and junk really.

Price isn't everything, i want to know its well built and will withstand the elements etc. Also would like it to look nice of course.

Also dont care what part of the country they hail from once delivery to Carlow isnt a problem.

Look forward to hearing your responses!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

hi,used a crowd from kilkenny city,got a 15 x 10, well happy,looks good,,gardensheds4less,,good people to deal with too..have no links with these people,just happy with their work..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I have a a 9 x 6 meter shed from Steeltech sheds. lovely job and decent price.

They do small timber and steel sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I've used timber trove.ie, great quality

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hoopsbhoy

igorbiscan wrote: »
    hi,used a crowd from kilkenny city,got a 15 x 10, well happy,looks good,,gardensheds4less,,good people to deal with too..have no links with these people,just happy with their work..

you may have had a good experience with gardensheds4less but I certainly wouldnt recommend them.
    "good people to deal with" - not in my experience - I ordered a shed from them at the end of June, I was very specific that I needed it on Monday 18th July (as this was the only weekend I had free to dismantle my old shed) They said that was no problem and booked me in for that date.
    Took a day off work on Monday especially for this and on Monday morning I tried to phone them to get a rough idea of what time to expect them. Office phone and mobile number I had for them (Eamon?) both just went straight to voicemail so I left a vm asking what time they would be arriving.
    Tried ringing both office phone and mobile another 100 times on Monday afternoon, still straight to voicemail. Also sent them an email.
    Its Thursday now and still havent been able to get in contact with them.
    My old shed is gone off in a skip and its contents are sitting out in the rain in my back garden.
    Luckily I havent paid anything, they said they would prefer cash on delivery. I'm going to have to try get a shed quickly from another supplier now as I still cant get in contact with them.

DO NOT BUY FROM gardensheds4less.ie :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've bought two wooden sheds from Kellys in Wicklow. Great prices and service.

However if you want something stronger with less maintenance, I'd recommend Clane steel sheds. They cost more than a wooden shed but are more secure and come in several PVC collude so no painting. I've a steel shed from them bought 4 years ago and its in mint condition and dry inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

redman wrote: »
    I've used timber trove.ie, great quality

Agree, if in the market for a timber shed, difficult to match Timbertrove quality.

Wherever you buy, go for the pressure treated finish, cost a little more, but lasts so much longer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You could allways buy a plastic shed (wood grain effect).

I have one for over 2 years now and its brilliant.

It goes up in 30 mins and the great thing is that it comes back down just as fast,so you can bring it with you,if you ever move.

Well built,3 shelves on the inside,double doors and 2 windows.1 on each side.Fully watertight too.:)

100_1485.jpg
    100_1488.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kmepll

I got my shed from Castle view garden sheds in ardee just down the road from watters ,haggled with the price as i said i was on a budget ,heavy timber frame not the normal barna shed matchstick build

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Hiya . Is it a Plastic or Timber one you want ?

My brother in Law builds them from Scratch to your Specs

PM me if you want his number

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hoopsbhoy

thanks WIZE but I've already got a new shed from Kelly Barna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Timbertrove all the way!Very happy arrived on time neat and tidy and a very well finished shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

I too have had a bad experience with these guys. Do not waste your time/money go somewhere else. Put simply, I ordered the shed in early November, I was told it would be about 2 weeks, eventually I received the shed mid-December (approx 6 weeks later). In that time I phoned easily 10 times, none of which were returned, even though they said they would call me back (a guy called Eamon). Then to make matters worse, I was over charged. I've since been told that they've refunded me the overcharge, but here we are 8 weeks later and still no sign of the refund. They don't answer the phone now and they've never once returned any of my calls, it's always been me chasing them. **STAY AWAY FROM THEM AT ALL COSTS**

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

I've just ordered the other day from GardenSheds4Less. It will be interesting to see if their service has improved since this thread was last updated. Watch this space ...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lawlerp

OBriens Timber products in Mountbellew have a good selection and are keenly priced.

janja wrote: »
    Timbertrove all the way!Very happy arrived on time neat and tidy and a very well finished shed.

I didn't think they were keenly priced from the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Perhaps, but you'll not find a better service or product.

I have bought from both Abwood (shed 10 years old and still perfect) and Boyne Garden Sheds (amazing after sales). Bit expensive for an alottment shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

We purchased our shed from that crowd in Kilkenny, was verry cheap and looked nice but it won't last pissing time as when they advertise fully treated timber, they are referring to just a coat of varnish.

Looking for something cheap and they have the style/size I want. Sounds like I will need to paint in immediately with Ronseal. Did you treat you shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

nicnac wrote: »
    Looking for something cheap and they have the style/size I want. Sounds like I will need to paint in immediately with Ronseal. Did you treat you shed?

What size and what is cheap?

• Advertisement

5 x 3 and in the region of 280 which would include delivery and installation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Personally I would only ever buy cedar sheds, they are the best, you may pay a bit more but the shed will outlive you!

Thanks for taking the time to look Sgt Pepper. Rather not go with a plastic shed on an alottment. The metal sheds come with no base. Also, they take hours to construct. I had considered them but the reviews on Yardmaster sheds are foul. Lots of parts and two people needed to construct. I want an installation and delivery of a wooden shed for under 290. I have done quite a bit of research on it

Again, not suitable for my needs. Requires a level concrete base and self assembly. I just don't have time or resourse for that. Thanks though.
    glineli wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

nicnac wrote: »

Didn't treat it myself but it was already varnished. The problem I had was that the shed was only varnished on the outer visible timber and when I was moving the shed, I noticed that the base underneath was just bare non treated wood.

If I was to buy a shed again, I would make sure it was propperly treated wood like whats used on decking and not just a coat of varnish.

Good luck with your purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Personally I dont think you will find what you are looking for the money
    Shed yes.
    Installation - no

Personally I dont think you will find what you are looking for the money
    Shed yes.
    Installation - no

I have found what I am looking for in several places.

• Advertisement

Tulipout wrote: »
    Didn't treat it myself but it was already varnished. The problem I had was that the shed was only varnished on the outer visible timber and when I was moving the shed, I noticed that the base underneath was just bare non treated wood.

If I was to buy a shed again, I would make sure it was propperly treated wood like whats used on decking and not just a coat of varnish.

Good luck with your purchase.

Varnished???? They advertise the sheds as pressure treated?

Advertisement