Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lapua Master ballistic coefficient?

Options
  • 22-09-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anybody happen to know the ballistic coefficient for Lapua Master bullet heads?
    Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Hi,
    Does anybody happen to know the ballistic coefficient for Lapua Master bullet heads?
    Cheers,
    Slug Chucker
    The what? :D

They're a 40 grain round that nominally fly out of a 26" barrel at 1050fps

As a bullet head, they fall from your hand at 9.8m/s/s :D

If you throw them, they usually land about 20 feet away unless you're Andrew Flintoff in which case they could cause serious injury :P

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

rrpc wrote: »
    The what? :D

They're a 40 grain round that nominally fly out of a 26" barrel at 1050fps

As a bullet head, they fall from your hand at 9.8m/s/s :D

If you throw them, they usually land about 20 feet away unless you're Andrew Flintoff in which case they could cause serious injury :P

LOL, no seriously RRPC. If I know the BC I can run them in a ballistics calculator to get the bullet drop over distance. I use them for target shooting but also hunt bunnies with the same bullets. I know all my settings from 25-100 yards, beyond that is the problem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Haven't they stopped making Lapua Master and renamed them Centre-X?

Either way i think they run around 0.118 - 0.122. Don't take that as gospel though.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Hi,
    Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

I used .22 target on bunnies once, i found them too tame, bunny not killed outright unless head shot.

Just my experience.

Everyone on here seems to use subsonics Winchesters, Then again I always used high or Hyper Velocity for knock down.(so I am biased)

I hope to have a calc at the weekend.
    I need the BC for these also
    http://www.cabelas.com/p-0012710213519a.shtml

can the BC be worked out easily of any round?
    I think it would be handy if BC's of all rounds could be posted on here as a reference

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ezridax wrote: »

Nice one Ezri, .366 not as good as the 180grain but I don't care. flat shooting .308's work for me ;)

I can see 125grain HPS becoming very popular!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

LOL, no seriously RRPC. If I know the BC I can run them in a ballistics calculator to get the bullet drop over distance. I use them for target shooting but also hunt bunnies with the same bullets. I know all my settings from 25-100 yards, beyond that is the problem.
    Did you try the Lapua website? They have lots of info there including thir own bc data which they collated usiing doppler radar tracking of their bullets. They even have software for calculating trajectories. If Lapua Master isn't on the list, as ezri says, Centre-x or Midas+ will have the same bullet head.

http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=1387

They're not really suitable for bunnies anyway as they don't have an expanding head, so as Tack found out, you get lots of wounded bunnies and very few kills unless it's a head shot. Hollow points are your man for that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Hi RRPC,
    I asked Lapua years ago and they sent me a dimensions sheet but said they didn't have a BC for the bullet. I always shoot them in the nut so expansion isn't a problem. I have found Master very accurate in target use and like to stay with what I'm familiar with after firing countless thousands of these rounds over the years. I used to use highs but when you put them on paper at 100 yards it explains a lot of misses over the years. Generally the highs group for me is around 1.5"-2", I feel this is due to the transonic issue of rimfire high velocity bullets. Where with the master I can print under half an inch on a good day. I'll try Lapua again for the info.
    Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

Advertisement