Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people so cruel to the disabled

Options
  • 22-09-2010 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Why are people with disabilities treated like second class citizens, socially isolated and relegated to the status of outcasts in society, including among supposed so-called “Christians”.

I am 24 and suffer from a condition known as klippel feil syndrome along with scoliosis, and I can say at this stage, that while I have over the of course of my life had fulfilling moments- that the rest of it has been nothing but torment, sneering, bullying, mental torture, isolation along with the inevitable physical pain and discomfort.

I have no social life, no opportunities for getting to know the opposite gender, I am regularly patronised, disrespected or even laughed at. This is not a new development of course, as I’ve had to live most of my life like this, since at least my childhood. Pardon the dramatic words here and all, but to be honest at this stage I don’t see the point in waking up/ drinking/ eating/ walking and doing the same old, same old thing day in day out any more.

Physically or mentally I have absolutely no standard of life, and have had numerous nervous breakdowns, of which I have kept to myself. I even have invisible friends and other methods to cope with the reality that society and people do not cater for the disabled- regardless of what is said in the media about “progression” in this general area. It is often hard to sleep at night, or to leave the front door in the morning.

Why do people humiliate, degrade and cruelly relegate people suffering with disabilities to second class citizen/ caste status, considering that the delicate balance of nature could render anyone and anybody with a disability tomorrow.

Pardon my rant, but I’m sick of it, and I would appreciate If anybody finds themselves in such a situation. I guess that is the reason for this thread, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I sympathize with you.

The truth is people fear that which is different due to human nature, and are generally not interested in finding out about the details of someone's disability. Every disabled person is different, and people don't want to take the time to understand a person's specific special needs.

So what do you do? Find a social outlet or activity where your disability doesn't matter. Use the Internet to connect with people. Join a support group for people with similar needs.

I'm afraid the above may not help - I don't know much about your condition. Just believe me when I say that most people in the world have the ability to be understanding and friendly... alas connecting with them will take a lot more effort. Fair? No. But the reality for many.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi,it's sad to read your post and the way you are being treated by the world,but don't give up there are people who can see through your disability and only see the person inside. Like the last poster said there are a lot of social groups around and I am sure one to meet your needs. I don't have a disability myself but my wife and son do and we try not to let it get the better of us.
    Best of luck and keep your chin up the world's not all that bad it just has a lot to learn.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mrpeech

Hi, I have a friend who suffers from a congenital disease of the retina rendering him blind and he often vents his frustration at such things and likewise has talked of the pointlessness of his going through the motions. None of the positive pep stuff works on him. But if i were you i'd tell these people where to go, people for the most part are pretty dumb when it comes to dealing with folks with disabilities. A good figurative slap on the wrist for these morons would be a good start. Apart from that (without trying to sound preachy) just do what you want and try to ignore the idiots, it's hard but possible. You must've had times when you had that going for you right, just try and keep continuity.
    Some times it's the community or country that you're in. A change of environment also helps I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

I know this is not really what you want to hear but we don't have much control over the rest of the world. We do however control how we view things. I know life is tough but that has to be at least one positive thing about it and about you.

Most people feel down about themselves from time to time so it would do them no harm to talk to someone they care about or do something they enjoy to re-affirm the good things about life.

Advertisement