Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Compact Discs going out of fashion?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Can you foresee a day when an artist after a gig takes a tenner off you to dock your ipod at his ipod to get his/her album?

I can't.

There is something special about really enjoying a gig and getting to talk to the artist afterwards and buy their CD. You will treasure in a way that no MP3 can compare to.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Nononolan

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Why would you worry about fashion with respect to something like this?

If you do all your listening with downloads and rips, with low bitrates and poor equipment, you're missing out on tons of the enjoyment and experience. Your problem, not compact discs'.

Most people are oblivious to the quality difference between cd and compressed downloads. With lossless codecs in place theres even more reason to download online. Its no coincidence that a load of independent and chain record shops are closing down with the advent of download culture.

I like the argument that you never physically own the album but it doesnt matter to most people...me included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

topper75 wrote: »
    Can you foresee a day when an artist after a gig takes a tenner off you to dock your ipod at his ipod to get his/her album?

I can't.
    There is something special about really enjoying a gig and getting to talk to the artist afterwards and buy their CD. You will treasure in a way that no MP3 can compare to.
    Fair point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Carl.Gustav

CD sales have fallen big time year after year for the last 10 years, that trend isn't going to change, the medium is dieing, it may not die completely but it is heading towards being a very niche market.

Primary reason being they cost a lot of money and you can get the same product for free online, that is unbeatable competition.

Some people will continue to buy because they think it is the honest thing, other's because they want to own a physical product, others because they think the sound quality is better from a cd but they are in the small minority.

US music sales in 1999 were 15 billion dollars, in 2009 that figure was 6.3 billion.

As for me if HMV opened their doors and said everything is free take what you want I wouldn't take anything, it's just dust collecting junk.
    I'll take the digital product.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Primary reason being they cost a lot of money and you can get the same product for free online, that is unbeatable competition.

You're not comparing two options on a market there, you're comparing legal and illegal practices, which isn't a valid argument here. People don't argue about pubs closing down by saying you can steal cans in an off license.

• Advertisement

You're not comparing two options on a market there, you're comparing legal and illegal practices, which isn't a valid argument here. People don't argue about pubs closing down by saying you can steal cans in an off license.

I'm not arguing about whether it's right or wrong, I'm just saying people aren't buying cd's anymore because they can download for free with no repercussions, I don't think anybody would disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I'm not arguing about whether it's right or wrong, I'm just saying people aren't buying cd's anymore because they can download for free with no repercussions, I don't think anybody would disagree with that.

There are repercussions, just not everyone gets them. It's not like everybody who ever steals something physical gets caught, people get away with all types of crimes all the time. Still not fair comparisons.

There are repercussions, just not everyone gets them. It's not like everybody who ever steals something physical gets caught, people get away with all types of crimes all the time. Still not fair comparisons.

I don't understand your point, heinous crime or not it is the reason CD sales have fallen dramatically over the last 10 years.

Do you think it should just be ignored and everybody just scratches their head wondering where all the sales went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PulsW

People don't argue about pubs closing down by saying you can steal cans in an off license.

The reason that the music industry isn't making as much money is because of illegal downloading, and that makes the comparison valid. If we lived in some sort of Orwellian 1984 world where everyone got caught downloading music, the music industry would see a substantial increase in sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Glad I'm not the only one who still buys CDs. As has been said I don't see the point of paying the same price for a download as for a CD when I can just rip the CD onto my laptop straight away and still have the physical object.

Plus I like to support bands by buying the album, especially as most of them wouldn't be stadium fillers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement