Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 billpay termination and unlocking?

Options
  • 22-09-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

This is not really an iPhone specific question, I think, so I'm posting it here.

My iPhone contract with O2 ends in less than a month, I think.

I want to get the phone unlocked, sell it, and get a HTC phone. (On that note, anyone know what the best HTC phone I can use on an Irish network right now is?)

What's the best way for me to end the contract and get them to unlock my iPhone 3GS?

My friend recently sent a 30 day cancellation notice via email to O2 and said they came back with a SIM to let him unlock his phone. Will they do this for me when ending my iphone contract? Anything I need to look out for when trying to terminate?

I have checked the O2 website already and it does clarify somewhat about how to terminate but says nothing about unlocking as far as I can see...

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You don't need to terminate your contract, you just don't need to renew(upgrade) it by accepting anything o2 propose over the phone, online or in store. When you decide what network and plan your moving to just give o2 30 days notice your leaving.

So if your contract finishes in 30 days and you want to move networks in 30 days tell them straight away.

Before you tell them your leaving ask for the unlock code, maybe don't do it all in the one phone call, unlock tomorrow and give notice of moving the day after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Come over to us at the O2 community and we will make sure you get sorted with everything you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Come over to us at the O2 community and we will make sure you get sorted with everything you are looking for.

Hi Daryl, I also have an iphone 3gs which was locked to o2, as I'm no longer a customer (just left) what's the procedure for me to get unlocked?

Many thanks, K

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gahsux

Just to add; I recently finished my O2 contract and on its termination day, I've moved to another operator. I received a final bill from O2 with a " once-off charge" of over €30.

I queried this charge with O2 and it was due to the following:
    Your contract expires at midnight on the termination day. If you change contract even hours before this time, you are charged a cancellation fee which is relative to the number of days till your next billing date.

Upon querying this amount, O2 removed the charge from the bill. I wonder how many people unknowingly paid this charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

You don't need to terminate your contract, you just don't need to renew(upgrade) it by accepting anything o2 propose over the phone, online or in store. When you decide what network and plan your moving to just give o2 30 days notice your leaving.

So if your contract finishes in 30 days and you want to move networks in 30 days tell them straight away.

Before you tell them your leaving ask for the unlock code, maybe don't do it all in the one phone call, unlock tomorrow and give notice of moving the day after.

Are you saying I should ask for unlocking before the contract has actually expired? Not sure I follow. Can't I serve my 30 day notice now so that it expires just after the contract term ends? Seems stupid that an 18 month contract is really a 19 month contract because you're ony allowed give your 30 day notice after the term has actually ended...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 gahsux

You don't need to give them notice, just leave after you contract expires. It only takes a few hours to move to a different operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Be very careful with this.

O2 Ireland are very loose with their idea of a contract acceptance is as well as how long the contract should last.

I got an iPhone 3g last year on a 12 month contract and when the contract expired moved over to Vodafone. I've now been told I was still in the contract when I moved as it has magically become an 18 month contract and owe them €250.

I tried calling their customer service team 4 times I got through each time but was immediatly hung up on 3 out of the 4 time when I said I had a complaint.

I've asked for a copy of my contract to see the date I signed and to confirm the contract was for an 18 month period (I'm easy on this, I can make mistakes bigger and better than anyone on this board.) so this can be cleared up only to be told they dont keep copies of the contracts. So I have no way of confirming this.

Plus because I have a cancelled account now I cannot deal with the O2 forum (Who have been extremly heplfull to me in the past) I have to call their support line who are useless (And I should know I worked for Dell tech support.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

If you can't get me on the O2 Community PM me here or you can get us on Twitter @O2forum.

If it is possible for me to help I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

i got a locked nokia 2730 of a friend of mine,he used to be 02 but he changed to metoer,so when i put my meteor chip in it says "Phone Restricted" i do not have the original 02 chip but it is a good phone...

Help please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    i got a locked nokia 2730 of a friend of mine,he used to be 02 but he changed to metoer,so when i put my meteor chip in it says "Phone Restricted" i do not have the original 02 chip but it is a good phone...

Help please

You could go to an unlocking shop and get it done there

• Advertisement
Advertisement