Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

galwayblog.com -

• 22-09-2010 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

HI,
    GalwayBlogs.com
    has said
    'our system is undergoing serious reconstructive surgery. please be patient' for about the past year or so. Anyone know who to contact to add my humble photoblog?

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

If it hasn't been updated in over a year I wouldn't bother tbh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Why do you keep asking strange questions about managing and promoting your website on a photography forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

charybdis wrote: »
    Why do you keep asking strange questions about managing and promoting your website on a photography forum?

Because people who are into photography would know better than people who are into websites/IT....

Also cos I've gotten a new URL and (I thought) it's obvious that people want more rather than less people viewing their site.....

*keep asking*; in reality it's probably about a 1/2 dozen questions or so....

If others think I'm asking too many questions just let me know and I'll goto a forum that doesn't allow questions...

Pa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I would've thought here would be a better place to ask.

Your view that photographers would know better than people into IT/Websites is intriguing though. How'd you reckon that?

And I don't charybdis was having a go about you asking questions, but moreso about where you were asking them.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Because people who are into photography would know better than people who are into websites/IT....

I'm amazed that you think that people on a photography forum would be better able and willing to help on the topic of website management and promotion that those on a forum dedicated to those topics. Do you also ask questions about hyperfocal distances on the web development fora?
    Also cos I've gotten a new URL and (I thought) it's obvious that people want more rather than less people viewing their site.....

If you're referring to "photoblog.ie", you've had that URL for some time as I've seen it in your posts about your website several times before. Also, just because you want more people viewing your site doesn't mean you can keep posting threads about it in the hope of driving traffic to it, that is textbook spam.

If you want people to visit your photography website, post really good photographs, photographs worth going to a website to see.
    *keep asking*; in reality it's probably about a 1/2 dozen questions or so....

Six threads is a lot of threads, particularly when they're all about your website and on a photography forum. Need I remind you how many threads you started when you were trying to decide which camera to buy (although, at least the forum was somewhat appropriate in that case)?
    If others think I'm asking too many questions just let me know and I'll goto a forum that doesn't allow questions...

Maybe if you're having so much difficulty running a website, you're not ready to do it. Go and read, think, and experiment until you feel capable of running one. If you then have questions, ask someone who might actually give a toss.

• Advertisement

I'm amazed that you think that people on a photography forum would be better able and willing to help on the topic of website management and promotion that those on a forum dedicated to those topics. Do you also ask questions about hyperfocal distances on the web development fora?
    (Maybe I am wrong but) If I was posting that question again I'd still post it here. Just because I'd think that someone in the photography forum might know about the site, who runs/ran it or have a blog there etc.
    Whereas on the other hand someone in a techie blog could just tell me how to see who owns teh site and no more I thiknk ( I already know how to find that out).
    If you're referring to "photoblog.ie", you've had that URL for some time as I've seen it in your posts about your website several times before. Also, just because you want more people viewing your site doesn't mean you can keep posting threads about it in the hope of driving traffic to it, that is textbook spam.

I've had that site for under 3 months but only using it for under 2; which isn't long in my opinion. If you think I'm posting threads about my site here to drive traffic from here, then you're mistaken. Anyway most threads aren't about 'my' site, but more about general SEO issues etc.
    If you want people to visit your photography website, post really good photographs, photographs worth going to a website to see.
    Oh, if it was only that easy...oh, if it was only that easy.
    Six threads is a lot of threads, particularly when they're all about your website and on a photography forum. Need I remind you how many threads you started when you were trying to decide which camera to buy (although, at least the forum was somewhat appropriate in that case)?
    True, I did post many threads when trying to decide what to buy. That's because I had no idea what to buy. And I did thank people for their input afterwards. )[/QUOTE]
    Maybe if you're having so much difficulty running a website, you're not ready to do it. Go and read, think, and experiment until you feel capable of running one. If you then have questions, ask someone who might actually give a toss.

As most people are aware, the initial stage is the hardest and normally when one has most questions. BTW this thread had nothing to do with a question related to running a website...
    It's kind of difficult to know who does and doesn't give a toss as I don't know each person here personally. I thought that was how a forum worked; you asked a question and people who are interested in the question\knowedable answer.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting you at some future photowalk. You'l'l' recognise me as I'll be the one with my personally made t-shirt with my photoblog url on it and handing out flyers to the public to drive traffic to my site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Guys, relax, is a flame war required?

Self promotion goes with the territory of photography. If you don't want to visit someone's blog, then don't. If you feel that someone is only using the site to spam, then contact a mod, let them deal with the issue.

But going back to the OP's question, Galway Blogs is "owned" by a company in San Francisco, called Six Apart Ltd. If you contact them they might have an idea how to get hold of the person who runs it.

Failing that, if you were interested, maybe you could set up your own similar type site.

(Maybe I am wrong but) If I was posting that question again I'd still post it here. Just because I'd think that someone in the photography forum might know about the site, who runs/ran it or have a blog there etc.
    Whereas on the other hand someone in a techie blog could just tell me how to see who owns teh site and no more I thiknk ( I already know how to find that out).

You think there's a good chance that someone on a Photography forum happens to know who runs "galwayblogs.com", or at least a better one than any other forum, particularly one dedicated to discussing websites?
    I've had that site for under 3 months but only using it for under 2; which isn't long in my opinion. If you think I'm posting threads about my site here to drive traffic from here, then you're mistaken. Anyway most threads aren't about 'my' site, but more about general SEO issues etc.

Do you really think a photography forum is the place to discuss "general SEO issues"?
    Oh, if it was only that easy...oh, if it was only that easy.

It is, except doing so isn't actually that easy.

SEO for photo blog is different that SEO for 'standard' website as there's very little text and wasn't sure about how much weight to put on descritption, captions etc...
    I could go on but to save us both energy and time I won't as we obviously wo'nt' agree with each other.

SEO for photo blog is different that SEO for 'standard' website as there's very little text and wasn't sure about how much weight to put on descritption, captions etc...
    I could go on but to save us both energy and time I won't as we obviously wo'nt' agree with each other.

"SEO" is 95% nonsense. The 5% that makes sense is designing your website correctly so that it can be indexed by search engine crawlers, the rest is spammy crap that's designed to break the web for profit. Don't bother worrying about SEO and marketing, work on taking really good photos, consistently and in large amounts. Read this if you don't believe me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement