Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proposed changes to NCT/MOT/PTI

• 23-09-2010 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭

I know I don't post in this forum too often, but I just spotted this on MCN. They are reporting possible changes to Periodic Technical Inspections. This would among other things make it more difficult to modify a bike; subject it to more rigorous inspections in Test Centres and on the road side as & when seen fit!
    Also proposed is raising the cost by as much as 30%.
    Now, I know that this is more geared towards the UK but part of these proposals are to make it across the board for the EU while imposing the rule of the strictest country. I completed the survey to let "them" know how I feel about increasing charges and (possibly) more regular inspections. Sort out the VRT first, then I could listen

From Motorcyclenews.com Here
    Motorcyclists face roadside MoT-style inspections and restrictions on fitting accessories under proposals from Brussels.

The UK’s MoT system will be replaced with a new Europe-wide roadworthiness inspection regime under the plans.

As well as roadside spot checks just for bikes, the European Commission is proposing:

• Compulsory tests whenever a vehicle has been in an accident, changed owners or been modified in any way.
    • Tests more than once a year, tests of vehicles under three years old and more frequent inspections as vehicles age.
    • Standardising roadworthiness rules across Europe by making every country adopt those of the strictest.
    • Raising the cost of inspections by up to £30%.

The toughest current standards are in Germany, where modifying is made complicated and expensive by requirements for individual motorcycle parts to be tested and approved.

MAG president Ian Mutch said: “The worst scenario is that we wouldn’t be able to fit anything that’s not an official accessory made by the manufacturer of the bike.
    “Road-side spot-checks specifically for motorcycles are also under consideration.”

The plans are set out in an online European Commission consultation with a September 24 deadline for responses. Riders are urged to complete the multiple-choice survey opting for ‘no change’ in response to each proposal.

Mutch said: “MAG is encouraging riders to complete the survey and opt for ‘no change’.”

Complete the survey here: Survey link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I'd say the Car manufacturers are behind this one. Cars built in the last 5 to 10 years are of such a good average build quality that the masses aren't being forced to buy new vehicles. Only the tools who feel the need for a 2010 X5 or the lemmings in their X3s and X1s (Damn that car is a joke) are keeping the new car sales going. (Yes, I do have a major hatred of the SUV on Irish roads)

So making cost of ownership go way up over time is designed to appeal to people's overall laziness which will force us Europeans to keep buying new vehicles in order to not have the hassle of all those inspections. Good plan Brussels! :mad:

I'll be forwarding the survey link to my 2 and 4 wheeled friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Just playing devils advocate here but would a bike nct be so bad ? I have to admit I'm not to keen on the additional cost involved but is it not crazy that we dont ever have to have our bikes checked ? I am quite keen on the living thing and so do keep my bike in reasonable order but how many others out there dont ? It also would be a big help in buying a second hand bike as a recent test would give some indication that the bike was in reasonable condition. On a side note its a bit disapointing the lack of interest & discussion in this thread perticularly given the strong signals that this is on the way & very significant implications for biking.

Thanks for highlighting this issue obskure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

210, thanks for your candid reply! I actually am in favour of a form of road-worthiness certification! It's just the methods of enforcement which are being suggested, that I disagree with, inc. road-side tests.

e.g.
    • Compulsory tests whenever a vehicle has been in an accident, changed owners or been modified in any way.
    • Tests more than once a year, tests of vehicles under three years old and more frequent inspections as vehicles age.
    • Standardising roadworthiness rules across Europe by making every country adopt those of the strictest.
    • Raising the cost of inspections by up to £30%.

Point 1:- When a bike has been in an accident, yes. Each change of owners?? NO etc. etc. etc.
    Point 2:- Tests more than once a year? Come on!

I don't want to go on, but there are pros and cons of it all.
    Ultimately, the impositions which could be placed upon us motorcycle owners are just that, impositions. I don't want to be told how to modify or not modify my bike, while at the same time, I would like to see a two-year NCT-style test to back up a 2nd-hand sale.
    As for the 30% increase in cost? I don't see why there would be a necessity for this, considering an NCT car test currently costs €49 and a re-test costs €27.50. This pushes possible testing cost to €63.70 (30%)

I'm not going to whine any longer, I just want boards members to have their say as everyones' input counts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..a couple of things on the subject.
    • It won't happen here. The bike population is too small, and the technical ability does not exist in the general population to support it - either practically, technically, nor financially. And the NCT is about money. The proportion of mechanical failure being a contributor to accidents in this country, is tiny.
    • And, the NCT is only a 'snap shot' record, and proves nothing. You can drive out the gate, have a bit fall off, and your NCT is still valid. Proves nothing.
    • Ireland isn't the only country that doesn't test bikes - Belgium doesn't.
    • The UK MOT is vastly over-rated. I bought a bike (BMW) the day after it's owner had it MOT'd, in Scotland. A serving Police officer, no less. Did the helicoiled mounting bolts on the front brake calipers get a mention, or the corroded rear brake line (which leaked on the way home from Edinburgh to Glasgow) ? FSH and MOT my ass.
    • as for disallowing modifications - that's not possible to police, either. Ever seen a Jap market bike overtake at more than 112kph? Of course you did. Because modern vehicles are so computer-based, it only takes a guy with laptop to crack it, and then the wonders of eBay and PayPal are your friend. Don't take my word for it, look up remapping for cars, in google.
    • Legislation always lags behind people's ingenuity to circumvent it. Hoorah for them, I say !

No, like the farcical speed campaigns, the energy should be put in to a culture of keeping your stuff maintained, well, rather than to an arbitrary minimum to scrape through a €48 test. Naturally, if bike NCT came in, it'd be more like €148, btw.........Applus aren't going to do it for free......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

210 wrote: »
    Just playing devils advocate here but would a bike nct be so bad ? I have to admit I'm not to keen on the additional cost involved but is it not crazy that we dont ever have to have our bikes checked ? I am quite keen on the living thing and so do keep my bike in reasonable order but how many others out there dont ? It also would be a big help in buying a second hand bike as a recent test would give some indication that the bike was in reasonable condition. On a side note its a bit disapointing the lack of interest & discussion in this thread perticularly given the strong signals that this is on the way & very significant implications for biking.

Thanks for highlighting this issue obskure.
    ompletley off topic i watched as film last night called die mutherfucker die

c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I read MCN regularly and every 6 months or so they come along with these big bad EU stories. None have come through yet and I can't see this one.

Even if it does, our Gardaí are still only pretend enforcing the car NCT after several years. Also it'll be just like the MOT where you swap the standard parts back for the test and then back to normal afterwards.

Advertisement