Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthurs day discussion mega merge thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

TO MARTHA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Pal wrote: »
    Feeling we are going to be subjected to this bolloxology every year from now on.

Becoming very irritating.

First time I saw it, what the F?! Next couple of times, ers OK, it's funny and good humoured.

Now, I'm positively hostile to it. I've ad blocked it on all my computers, installing firefox and installing other web browsers, I've got paranoid against it and the black is taking on a sinister meaning and I no longer have any attraction to it.

My stomach is turning right now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

As i said in the other thread on this subject.

What is the problem, once a year pints of Guinness cost 2.50.

This is a good thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

It's another Paddys day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

yeah i know if i was sick of it i'd start the thread, and not only that, but i'd do it a day early.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

orourkeda wrote: »
    It's another Paddys day

We don't get the day off work , so no it isn't.

When Arthur gets me the the day off paid I'll finally embrace this shítfest event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

The power of good marketing is amazing in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

To Marketing!

They were saying on the radio, how no ones even noticed its a different date to last years arthurs day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's such a tease. I'd imagine most working people couldn't get to a pub by 17:59 anyway. Do the acts start playing at that time? if so I think it's crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Am I right in thinking it's not as bad as Paddy's Day, as people are drinking in Pubs as opposed to the streets?
    Plus, although I'm not a regular drinker of the stuff, free pint followed by cheap pints.
    I'm definitely a fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

don't you know,this is just like how Christmas started with the cocaine coca cola.
    Just be happy that this is a celebration day where you have to get drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

They can shove it up their hole!

That is all!

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    don't you know,this is just like how Christmas started with the cocaine coca cola.
    Just be happy that this is a celebration day where you have to get drunk on guinness

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mp3kid

weiland79 wrote: »
    once a year pints of Guinness cost 2.50.

Where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

It's people going around celebrating Guinness' marketing strategy! It's a bit sad.

The bigwigs in Guinness are going to be thrilled about this.

**** Arthur.

Guinness is absolutely disgusting. It's got a vile taste and leaves your stomach feeling like **** the following morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

If it took place on the weekend it be grand. Having to work a late night Thursday and then an early start on Friday, I really don't feel the urge to get hammered on some stupid made up day.

Now if I wasn't working it be a different story..... To Arthur!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

weiland79 wrote: »
    As i said in the other thread on this subject.

What is the problem, once a year pints of Guinness cost 2.50.

This is a good thing!

Probably 2.51 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They were saying on the radio, how no ones even noticed its a different date to last years arthurs day.
    It *should* be the fourth Thursday in September. The date itself doesn't matter....really.
    PaddyBomb wrote: »
    If it took place on the weekend it be grand.
    But then it can be hijacked by some other yearly event or anything random. You have gigs and parties on at the weekend. You don't have big gigs and parties on Thursdays. That's the beauty of the marketing here - it's dominating; there is nothing else going on at the same time.

Thursdays are my "few quiet ones down the local" nights anyway, so this suits me down to the ground. I don't really care that it's a marketing-driven event. I would be drinking Guinness on Thursday anyway, now it's cheaper and I have an excuse to be in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Well obviously their ad did not work on me, as in my previous post.

However, even with my high morals, free beer and cheap beer to follow has attracted my attention.

Now to unblock all those ads and find out! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

A friend of mine gave me a podcast the other day from Joe Duffy's show where some one was seriously pissed off about them changing the date this year. Turns out she'd named her son Arthur because he was born on Arthur's day last year. Even Joe was laughing at her when he was telling her it was just a marketing ploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im pretty sure the black guy in the ad shouts "To NAMA"

.... developer bastards !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sanjuro wrote: »
    TO MARTHA!

To NAMA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

To NAMA

you snooze you looze.

Also Guiness makes you fat and give you musky farts. In the age of metrosexuals and tight jeans young men are too image conscious to follow the example of their bot bellied, blazer wearing, black toothed forefathers. Should I go out on St Patricks Day MKII it will be WKD and crotch grabbing tearaways.

However I wont be going out as Im not slave to Diageo and to a drop of the drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

**** Arthur.

Guinness is absolutely disgusting. It's got a vile taste and leaves your stomach feeling like **** the following morning.

Take. That. Back. :mad:

I love Guinness.

But I do agree that this Arthur's Day nonsense is sh*te. They don't even have any decent bands playing.

Snow Patrol? Ah for feck's sake.

Arthur Guinness would hate them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The power of good marketing is amazing in fairness.
    ...And the ones that use it as a convenient excuse just to sup more drink is amazing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Arthur's Day?

What a load of cock. **** off, Guiness Marketing people. Actually, I used to go out with a girl who worked on their marketing campaigns... she was fat and has only gotten fatter. Heffalump. This is not really related, but I hate alcohol advertising, I hate the stupidity of people who buy into this, and I hate fat people. That is all!

Poxy Wednesdays.

bonerm wrote: »
    We don't get the day off work , so no it isn't.

When Arthur gets me the the day off paid I'll finally embrace this shítfest event.

I meant in the sense that people will drink themselves into a vomit inducing stupor in the name of irishness.

**** Arthur.

That remark is more disgusting than Arthurs Day

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    ...And the ones that use it as a convenient excuse just to sup more drink is amazing too!

True!

The marketing team in there must be the best around in fairness. If you think back on all the various ad campaigns etc.

I'd imagine any marketing person with Guinness on their CV is regarded as being top notch.

Advertisement