Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthurs day discussion mega merge thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I'd imagine any marketing person as being a complete pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

True!

The marketing team in there must be the best around in fairness. If you think back on all the various ad campaigns etc.

I'd imagine any marketing person with Guinness on their CV is regarded as being top notch.

I remember there was some program about that showed all these "creatives" (its a term for nancy's in edgy glasses I believe) from some advertising company in that london coming over to croke park to look at hurlers smacking sliotars around so they could get an idea about the GAA for the ould sponsorship ad drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

Renn wrote: »
    I'd imagine any marketing person as being a complete pain in the hole.

Your face is a pain in the hole.

See, the marketing people really aren't that nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bonerm wrote: »
    We don't get the day off work , so no it isn't.

When Arthur gets me the the day off paid I'll finally embrace this shítfest event.

I took tomorrow off...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Arthur's Day?

What a load of cock. **** off, Guiness Marketing people. Actually, I used to go out with a girl who worked on their marketing campaigns... she was fat and has only gotten fatter. Heffalump. This is not really related, but I hate alcohol advertising, I hate the stupidity of people who buy into this, and I hate fat people. That is all!

Poxy Wednesdays.

If she was fat and you used to go out with her, chances are you're fat, or you love fat people, either way this post is severely overcompensating

I took tomorrow off...

Just because it's 'Arthur's Day'? :D

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    If she was fat and you used to go out with her, chances are you're fat, or you love fat people, either way this post is severely overcompensating

That's too bad. I'm sure she was great when he could get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Just because it's 'Arthur's Day'? :D

haha, not exactly, just worked out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

I was skinny and looked the ****s at that stage. Once I got looks on my side, I stopped chasing chubbies for easy sex... which she was crap at.

Hindsight is a frightening thing.
    That's too bad. I'm sure she was great when he could get it.

Oh hai! So how is your sex life Mark? you know what they say... love is blind...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 irishtrader

Arthur's Day?

What a load of cock. **** off, Guiness Marketing people. Actually, I used to go out with a girl who worked on their marketing campaigns... she was fat and has only gotten fatter. Heffalump. This is not really related, but I hate alcohol advertising, I hate the stupidity of people who buy into this, and I hate fat people. That is all!

Poxy Wednesdays.
    hahaha heffalump :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

PIRANHAS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Oh hai! So how is your sex life Mark? you know what they say... love is blind...

Hahaha. What a story Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

mp3kid wrote: »
    Where ?

Well the Lotts on Lower Liffey street for one.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm creamy two fiddy goodness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

weiland79 wrote: »
    What is the problem, once a year pints of Guinness cost 2.50.

They do in thier hole..they're full price in most pubs.

Its a marketing camapign by those shysters in diagio to fleece people for more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

It's my birthday tomorrow...wouldn't be surprised if I get more Happy Arthurs Day txts than birthday txts...and that's just my immediate family....

*BITTERNESS* :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

flyton5 wrote: »
    It's my birthday tomorrow...wouldn't be surprised if I get more Happy Arthurs Day txts than birthday txts...and that's just my immediate family....

*BITTERNESS* :mad:

Anyone who sends me a "Happy Arthurs Day" text will be, in my view, extending an invitation to come round their house or their local and kick them in the cnut/bollix!

Happy Birthday Flyton btw (In case I forget tomorrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Degsy wrote: »
    Its a marketing camapign by those shysters in diagio to fleece people for more money.

That's about the size of it alright. It was fine last year in light of the whole 250 yrs celebration but I really don't see the point to it now, and won't be getting involved in any way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I was involved in a marketing focus group a couple of years back where diagio wanted feedback on how to celebrate the guiness aniversary(since called Arthurs day).

Everybody in teh group suggested either free or cheap guinness for the day and the marketing people rejected the idea out of hand.

Instead they actually suggested that we..thier customers remember..don wellies and devote the day to cleaning up irelands rivers and waterways..they suggested mooring a barge in the Liffey and hosting comedians and bands...they suggested everything but would not agree to give away so much as one free pint to the people who buy thier ****te product 364 days of the year,at the highest prices in europe.

I hope sales of guinness continue to plummet and everybody boycot this marketing tripe..we're being played for suckers again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Degsy wrote: »
    I was involved in a marketing focus group a couple of years back where diagio wanted feedback on how to celebrate the guiness aniversary(since called Arthurs day).

Everybody in teh group suggested either free or cheap guinness for the day and the marketing people rejected the idea out of hand.

Instead they actually suggested that we..thier customers remember..don wellies and devote the day to cleaning up irelands rivers and waterways..they suggested mooring a barge in the Liffey and hosting comedians and bands...they suggested everything but would not agree to give away so much as one free pint to the people who buy thier ****te product 364 days of the year,at the highest prices in europe.

I hope sales of guinness continue to plummet and everybody boycot this marketing tripe..we're being played for suckers again and again.

I bet you consume only bread and boiled water.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Bambi wrote: »
    I remember there was some program about that showed all these "creatives" (its a term for nancy's in edgy glasses I believe) from some advertising company in that london coming over to croke park to look at hurlers smacking sliotars around so they could get an idea about the GAA for the ould sponsorship ad drive
    I dont think thats true..
    I know someone a creative that works on them ads.
    She aint from London.!

I will be one of those creatives one day! If I pass my exams..

Fact is, Arthurs day will work. People will buy more Guinness.(promotions etc.) they will make more money and they wont care if it annoys the sh1t out of some people.
    Sales up=job done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

as everyone knows, its a massive marketing move. the amount of POS (point of sale, posters, beer mats etc...) that pubs have recieved is astronomical.

what guinness dont realise, imo is that last year the novelty was there, this year no gives a fiddlers fart

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm sure if you were around to witness your 251st that you'd be well impressed by how Diageo have made it a practical national holiday.

This is probably the cheekiest marketing statement that I can recall, fair enough for the 250th but to go and have it again this year is taking the mickey imo. It's a touch hypocritical from me giving I'll likely participate in some manner tomorrow but I can't help thinking Diageo are incredibly cheeky doing it again this year. Obviously us plebians are very easily taken.

I will say fair play to whoever thought up of it; he/she will probably have been suitably rewarded with a major fuck off bonus.

The most successful marketing campaign of all time? Has to be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Bo5Hm8SHCGc/Sfuytw4aZQI/AAAAAAAAAOI/yFyX4uDe1oo/s400/chocobot.png

The drones who support this nonsense should be put down.
    I might commit a massacre on this date each year if this nonsense continues.

P.S: Guinness is muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Diageo supposidly promotes responsible drinking...

...sure lets have a national piss up day!! :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

A load a bollox.

Yet they'll make millions from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Em,it may be Arthur's Day today on the 23rd, but his birthday's on the 24th. Same as mine .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I'm sick of that fecking advert :(:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The-Rigger wrote: »
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Bo5Hm8SHCGc/Sfuytw4aZQI/AAAAAAAAAOI/yFyX4uDe1oo/s400/chocobot.png

You were going so well until this sentence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

The-Rigger wrote: »

what do you say we head into town at kicking out time a drive along some footpaths?

Advertisement