Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthurs day discussion mega merge thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

cson wrote: »
    TO GULLIBLE FECKING EEJITS!

I agree it's a fairly cynical marketing ploy - what marketing ploy isn't? But how are people who partake in the festivities gullible? Not doing anything for it this year but last year got to see the Undertones for free in my local - no bad thing. Diageo have made this an annual thing because it makes them money and provides a night in Dublin full of free gigs.
    If you wish to abstain, go ahead - it's no more made up then St Patrick's Day, Valentines Day or Christmas for that matter.

I agree that ad sucks though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Quit the whinging. I'm going out to have a few pints of savage Guinness with my best mates.

Any excuse :-)

Biggins wrote: »
    ...And its not even Irish any more!
    Its owned by an English based multinational conglomerate!

Where does it claim to be an Irish celebration?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

optogirl wrote: »
    Where does it claim to be an Irish celebration?
    Did I say it was an Irish Celebration?
    Don't put words in my fcuking mouth! I don't appreciate it!

I do come into contact with idiots who still think its an Irish owned drink - THATS ALL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Are they doing any cheap pints anywhere like last year?

• Advertisement

Did I say it was an Irish Celebration?
    Don't put words in my fcuking mouth! I don't appreciate it!

whoa! Alright man. Presumed that's that you were implying as this is a thread about Arthur's Day - if that's not what you meant then I don't really get your point - what has where Guinness is from or brewed got to do with it?

Anyway - have usually enjoyed ranting alongside you in other forums - no need to attack. Time for coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

johnn wrote: »
    It's an excuse to have a decent piss-up, what's not to like. If you don't like it sit on boards tomorrow instead of going out, nobody is going to hold a gun to your head at 17:59 until you have a scoop.

It is good marketing, but what is wrong with that? if something is good marketing do you automatically think that you are being made a fool of and must not conform?

They have some great bands playing on the cheap tomorrow 10euro to see 3-4 bands, i would have loved to get tickets for one of the big venues.

I had a great laugh with mates on the day last year, and hope to again this year

This.

Jesus some people in this thread try too hard. Guinness is and always has been a business that wants to make money. Get over it. It's an excuse for a pint. So I'll have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Its brewed in Dublin so surely that's Irish enough for ye?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

optogirl wrote: »
    whoa! Alright man. Presumed that's that you were implying as this is a thread about Arthur's Day - if that's not what you meant then I don't really get your point - what has where Guinness is from or brewed got to do with it?

Anyway - have usually enjoyed ranting alongside you in other forums - no need to attack. Time for coffee?
    My deepest heartfelt apologies to you. My language was uncalled for.

I'm just pissed off with the alcoholics of this nation using this "special day" as yet another reason to go get pissed.
    This country is in a right mess - simple example from last night news, every month ANOTHER 1,500 people are unable even to pay their ESB bills.
    This year up to the present date there is something like 200,000 in the country in ESB debt alone.

...So when this crap of "lets all go spend yet another day in the pub and fill ourselves up with drink" comes around again, it pisses me off.
    We should be saving our bloody money or at least spending it on something more ruddy important.

I'm NOT having a go at the occasional drinker. I AM having a go at the daily gobschite that can't see beyond a pint glass and their whole lives revolves around getting their hands on that next pint to the detriment of bills, family and home!

...But Guinness don't give two schite about that, they get their profits and the alcoholics of Ireland get their piss!

My deepest heartfelt apologies to you. My language was uncalled for.

I'm just pissed off with the alcoholics of this nation using this "special day" as yet another reason to go get pissed.
    This country is in a right mess - simple example from last night news, every month 1,500 people now are unable even to pay their ESB bills.
    This year up to the present date there is something like 200,000 in the country in EBS debt alone.

...So when this crap of "lets all go spend yet another day in the pub and fill ourselves up with drink" comes around again, it pisses me off.
    We should be saving our bloody money or at least spending it on something more ruddy important.

I'm NOT having a go at the occasional drinker. I AM having a go at the daily gobschite that can't see beyond a pint glass and their whole lives revolves around getting their hands on that next pint to the detriment of bills, family and home!

...But Guinness don't give two schite about that, they get their profits and the alcoholics of Ireland get their piss!

I agree - I wont be joining in this year cos I can't afford it but if I could, I probably would. I know it's a Diageo money-spinner - why else would they be doing it? If I had the cash and maybe if it wasn't on a Thursday, I can think of worse things to do then go see a few bands. I agree though - this country is financially bankrupt and in the grips of a fairly damaging alcohol dependency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I'm going to head out for a few pints for the sole reason, it's a Thursday night and I havent been out on a school (work) night in ageees!
    I also didn't get to go out last year, so I'd like to see what the big deal is.

Plus if I get a free pint, all the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭WillyWaggler

Ah sure 'twill keep us going until Paddy's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Guinness were saying that they are struggling with the younger generation (18-32) so i presume they are worried they will start to fade away eventually. Arthurs day may bring in new customers who never would have thought of drinking guiness before. My first pint of the black stuff was arthurs day last year and i quite liked it.

It would be terrible to see the company fade away. Its part of Irish Culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No doubt the odious fat tie-knot gimp that came up with this farrago must be puffed up like a toad today.

Please, please make it go away.

Or at least just give away Guinness and make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Jesus, the people that are giving out about those looking for any excuse to drink are the same people that trawl boards looking for any excuse to bitch and moan. Get the **** over it, Guinness is a business and their objective is to make money. What's wrong with marketing their product?? After reading this thread you get the impression that marketing is some kind of moral sin.

They've got great bands playing all over the country and they're donating proceeds to charity but some people are "boycotting" :rolleyes: Guinness for the day because it isn't Irish owned, forgetting the fact that it originated and has always been brewed here?

****ing clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well said Biggins

;)

I know i have joked my self about getting my free pint tonight, since their giving it away why not, i'm more than likely going out anyway.

But totally agree, it was hype and marketing last year for the 250 years, but now their just milking it. Its also quite interesting it falls on a thursday, tradionally a student night in my experience, many colleges running freshers week, you can see where i'm going.

Alcohol is a socailly acceptable drug and probably will always be, and Guinness, or more likely Diageo are tapping into that market, the same as all the manufactures, all the adverts have young people, they make them look cool with their friends and a bottle or glass of their product in their hands.

Theres alot of pressure on people nowadays to go out and drink, its almost seen as unacceptable it you dont go out atleast one night at the weekend. I myself can take it or leave it. I go out to socialize, not to get bladdered and forget half the night. Theres been often I might just have a few glasses or coke or orange, you get the odd riased eye brow from your mates or even the bar staff, I probably have the same amount of money left as them at the end of the night (thats another subject), and can still have the craic, laugh and remember it the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 The True Irish Patriot

Do people really know the type of people the Guinness family were?

Does the fact that they were avid supporters of Ireland being under British rule not sicken some people. Has the country really sunk this low, that we no longer have any sense of national pride. A man who wanted to deprive the native people of their idependence for his selfish reasons.

**** Arthur Guinness, **** him right in his unionist face.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mack81

so annoying, hope it never actually makes a public hoiday like some people are suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Blonde in the beret at about 0.10...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWsm66Q89KI

You would yeah.

I did...just thought I'd brag a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

Marketing is may be but I'm not knocking anything that helps me have a bit of a laugh this evening. I had great fun last year in the local.

I'll take any excuse these days for a bit of fun rather then listen to all the misery and gloom that all over every airwave and television screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Jesus, the people that are giving out about those looking for any excuse to drink are the same people that trawl boards looking for any excuse to bitch and moan. Get the **** over it, Guinness is a business and their objective is to make money. What's wrong with marketing their product?? After reading this thread you get the impression that marketing is some kind of moral sin.

They've got great bands playing all over the country and they're donating proceeds to charity but some people are "boycotting" :rolleyes: Guinness for the day because it isn't Irish owned, forgetting the fact that it originated and has always been brewed here?

****ing clowns.

Dear Sir,

This post is crying out for a scathing reference to "begrudgery".

Yours begrudgingly,

- A ****ing clown.

P.S **** Bono

P.P.S **** Bill Cullen

P.P.P.S I deeply resent Irish people that have fun or have more money than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... is tomorrow St Andrex day?

(A question from Mr Just, who doesn't have an account of his own - yet - but wanted it posted here.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

In before Llamas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Saint me bollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Your argument is invalid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

what is this i dont even...

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

I sent out a few cards, and we're having a lovely turkey dinner this evening to mark the occasion. Going to mass to I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

September 24 is Trinidad and Tobago Republic Day.

I plan to celebrate by drinking rum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Saint Arthur?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

September 24 is Trinidad and Tobago Republic Day.

I plan to celebrate by drinking rum.

I must give my mate Patrick from Eastenders a call:D

Advertisement