Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthurs day discussion mega merge thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

thisguy wrote: »
    I really dont get the problem some people on here have with this day...who cares that it's just a made up day by diageo's marketing people, it's just a laugh get over it!

Also bravo to the marketing people at diageo, they earned their money creating a new national day to get drunk...we need it, it's a full 6 months from paddys day!

It's the fact they earned money creating this stupid day that pisses me off and who needs a national day to get drunk FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

8 cans for 10 euro in Dunnes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭about blank

Carlsberg don't do Arthur day's but if they did they probably be the best day's in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thisguy

karlog wrote: »
    It's the fact they earned money creating this stupid day that pisses me off and who needs a national day to get drunk FFS.

Why does the fact that these people did their job well piss you off?..sure its recession we should be happy there is people with jobs...they should get more credit really, damn fantastic job they did turning a boring thusday into an excuse to get pissed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I like Gunisses but I dident have one today, For gods sake, worse than valentines day as far as made up events go.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

patwicklow wrote: »
    be better if they dropped the price of the stuff with there silly gimmicks,
    makes me laugh it aint even irish owned any more sold down the swanny aswel.
    auther my ass..............................

it was never irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

thisguy wrote: »
    I really dont get the problem some people on here have with this day...who cares that it's just a made up day by diageo's marketing people, it's just a laugh get over it!

Also bravo to the marketing people at diageo, they earned their money creating a new national day to get drunk...we need it, it's a full 6 months from paddys day!

So people won't be getting drunk until then :confused::eek::p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Went to see the lads during training (I'm out injured - boo hoo).. And we went for a few jar's afterwards, as is our habit..

"Right Marto" says I "Your not falling for this marketing bullsh*t, 'tis your usual Carlsberg and thats that"....

[enter's the bar]..

"Whats the craic Marto, Carlsberg?"... "Ah fvck it Dave, given the day thats in it give me a Guinness please"...

And I've had a lorry load since :pac:

Great night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 The True Irish Patriot

In general, the Guinness family became Irish Unionists and Arthur Guinness accepted the system,[6] with Arthur "directly opposed to any movement toward Irish independence" and wanting "Ireland to remain under English control"

Celebrate this guy? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In general, the Guinness family became Irish Unionists and Arthur Guinness accepted the system,[6] with Arthur "directly opposed to any movement toward Irish independence" and wanting "Ireland to remain under English control"

Celebrate this guy? :rolleyes:
    Even though I think Arthur's Day - and moreso the going along with it - is one big cringe-fest, it's Guinness/alcohol in general that's being celebrated, not Arthur.

800... beers?

Dudess wrote: »
    Even though I think Arthur's Day - and moreso the going along with it - is one big cringe-fest

I make you cringe :(

But Dudess... To Sam :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

thebullkf wrote: »
    it was never irish.

hmm a drink made by an irishman in ireland was never irish. interesting....

I make you cringe :(

But Dudess... To Sam :P
    D'oh! :o

Not the people having a few drinks, as many do of a Thursday evening, but the people who are making a point of treating tonight as if it's a huge celebratory event because Diageo told them it is. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 The True Irish Patriot

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Nobody's mentioning the guy's political leanings.

They're celebrating the drink he created.

But way to try and veer this off into a "gggrrrrrrr them damn Brits" discussion there buddy.

To Arthur?

Arthur's Day?

:confused:

Yeah, cuz he invented Guinness - nothing else whatsoever. It may be Arthur's Day by name, but it's Guinness Day. Where has there been even the vaguest mention of Arthur Guinness's political leanings? Or even Arthur Guinness as a person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

So, did anybody go to any of the gigs tonight?

Any places do cheap pints for the day?

• Advertisement

OutlawPete wrote: »
    So, did anybody go to any of the gigs tonight?

Any places do cheap pints for the day?

I was in Campions all night, it was empty... Oh, had a pint in Portmarnock Leisure centre - empty too.

But I hear there's good ol' craic in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Went to FM Belfast tonight, but that was part of the Fringefest here in Dublin. Really good btw
    Then went to the working mans club where pints were 3euro, Black russians 3euro and baby guiness 2euro. Picked a bad night not to be drinking!!
    Btw, town is a mess. Freshers week and diageo day are a bad combo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

was just in town.

Once again the irish do themselves justice; drunks everywhere, broken glass, fights, puking.

Great stuff altogether!

shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Was in hogans tonight for roysven and eliza doolittle, place was jammers. Plus eliza is sooooooo pretty :)

Just back from the afterparty in morgans bar :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

=When Arthur gets me the the day off paid I'll finally embrace this shítfest event.

How is it a shítfest event.. lighten up if you dont want to celebrate it you dont have to, just cause you prob have a shítty ass dead end job working monday to friday and do nothing with your life dosent mean you have to inflict it onto others...

Same goes to all the other haters lighten up and embrace it why not no one is making you drink Guinness

My farts have a distinctly protestant smell about them this morning :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ah, the true Irish Patriot... more like the true armchair revolutionist has turned in to the true keyboard revolutionist.

Dude, it's a few scoops, some live music, a well organised marketing campaign, that's all. Don't worry, you wouldn't have turned orange and started screaming "never" if you had gone out last night and had a pint. You might have even had more fun than sitting at home in front of you pc pissing and moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,801 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

derra_121 wrote: »
    lighten up if you dont want to celebrate it you dont have to,

This is what I don't get. People making out as if it's a public holiday to be celebrated. It's a marketing campaign. You're celebrating a Diageo marketing campaign.

Fair enough, go for a few drinks, have black poo the next day, but stop making it out to be some national day of celebration when it's just Diageo cashing in on one of their brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

o1s1n wrote: »
    This is what I don't get. People making out as if it's a public holiday to be celebrated. It's a marketing campaign. You're celebrating a Diageo marketing campaign.

Fair enough, go for a few drinks, have black poo the next day, but stop making it out to be some national day of celebration when it's just Diageo cashing in on one of their brands.

Do you celebrate your birthday?
    it doesn't have to be a national holiday to celebrate something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,801 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Do you celebrate your birthday?
    it doesn't have to be a national holiday to celebrate something.

Ah so it's just Arthur Guinness celebrating his Birthday?

Strange, I thought he was dead.

Advertisement