Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First-time viewer: what should I ask?

Options
  • 23-09-2010 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi folks,

Going to see an apartment with the hope of renting it tomorrow. It's my first time (ever!) going to see an apartment, so what are the basic questions I should ask, apart from what's included in the rent, deposit, etc.?

We're hoping to negotiate on the rent and bring it down a bit also. Should we do this on the spot (if we like it), or wait for a bit and then ring the landlord? It's not through a letting agent, if that makes a difference...

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Negotiate the rent on the spot there and then. It's the best time to haggle 'well I/we like the place but the rent is a little high, I'd have thought €xxx would be more appropriate'. Do that after you've had a good look around.

Ask about refuse and car spaces.

Ask about bills, who supplies the various things, heating, elecrticity, etc.

Is there internet available? Television?

Check everything out, don't feel shy about having a good look around. Check for damp or mould and ventilation, make sure all the windows open.

Have a good smell of the place, it might have just been aired before you came in and lingering smells (perhaps former tenants smoking) might be temporarily masked.

Turn the shower off and on, check the pressure of it.

Flush the toilet.

Sit on the couch and sit or lie on the bed, you'll be spending the majority of your time in the apartment on one of these so they'd want to be in good shape.

Have a good listen out for neighbours, are they noisey?

Just don't be afraid of looking like a bit of an eejit nosing around, you're the one that has to live there so it should be up to spec.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

One thing I have found makes a difference is if the apartment has night saver rate electricity. This means that between midnight and 9am your electicity is running at a lower rate and you can use things like the tumble dryer and the emmersion to heat the water at much cheaper cost than you could during the day. It has saved me a lot of money to have this, to the point where I probably wouldnt consider moving in somewhere that didnt have it.

Advertisement