Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB in Wexford

• 23-09-2010 2:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭

So for the last couple of years i have been with a local outfit called SKYTEL which are crap. I'm paying for 4mb upload/ 1mb downlaod but rarely get over .5mb on eithe.

So I was delighted to hear that Wimax was available in my area to then only find out that the licenced operator is, yep, you've guessed it - Skytel. Bugger.

Other options, go get eircom installed or wait for Sky (TV) to get their licence and provide a bundle package (as they are doing in UK)

Any thoughts???

Thanks

john

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭john47

here's an axample of my BB speed with Skytel

963886334.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Eircom NGB up and running in Wexford Town,€17 a month for 6 months in a bundle.Don't hold your breath for Sky launching broadband in Ireland. Ripplecom do decent fixed wireless in Wexford if you don't want a landline.Have heard a lot of bad reports about Skytel overloading their network.Imagine Wimax is hit and miss depending on what part of the town you're in but it seems they got their act together after a very very dodgy start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

john47 wrote: »
    So I was delighted to hear that Wimax was available in my area to then only find out that the licenced operator is, yep, you've guessed it - Skytel. Bugger.

If this is going to be fixed Wimax (and not a mobile system like Imagine operate) then it might actually be very good. It may well be worth your while to switch over to it, as your current solution is apparently crap.
    john47 wrote: »
    Other options, go get eircom installed or wait for Sky (TV) to get their licence and provide a bundle package

Sky aren't waiting for a licence, and I don't believe they will ever offer broadband here. It's not economical for them to even consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Id go with Eircom if you want decent downloads speeds.

969305049.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

In my Home, in Northern Wexford near Ballycanew we have ripplecom, we have it for the past 6 years. Is very quick most of the time but can be unreliable. We were without internet for over a month last December/January.

But other than that it is reasonably solid. Got a phonecall lately saying they had upgraded their services and we have seen a marked improvement.

Nothing special but pretty decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 PotatoSTALKER

Reposting this, posted in other skytel threads too.
    I'd like to hear more opinions about Skytel smile.gif
    I've seen plenty of complaints on other forums and websites about their services and attitude.
    http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/skytel/
    Just look at all the negative reviews there frown.gif
    And I'd encourage any skytel customers to voice their opinions there too!

Advertisement