Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated & Underrated in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

Different strokes for different folks...

What you talkin bout Willis ?

OVERRATED : oyster festival , Arthur Guinness day

Underrated: the galway coast line , monroes pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

lookinbusy wrote: »

Underrated: the galway coast line , monroes pizza

I actually think the Kebab Hut in Bridge Street may have taken Monroes Pizza crown :D

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I actually think the Kebab Hut in Bridge Street may have taken Monroes Pizza crown :D

kebab hut is owned and run by one of the family from monroes so should be very similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

Different strokes for different folks...

Maybe he means this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4-8BsQxLZI&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Under-rated:
    Pizza Napoli
    Old Folks
    The Barber's Chair
    Rusheen Bay
    Gourmet (for rolls/sandwiches)

Over-Rated:
    Coyotes
    Subway
    The Eye Cinema (well, was)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

yeehaw wrote: »
    Why would you queue to get into a pub?
    I have no issue with Clifden as a town.
    What would you have in Eyre square? It's not Hyde park but what do you want it to be?
    Galway Airport is the fastest Airport to check in/disembark at that I have ever flown in out of. I work in London and I regularly use City Airport and in terms on convenience and speed, Galway is miles ahead of it.
    The Galway City tribune is excellent for local news and sport. As I said I live in London, but I read it online every week.

Clifden is damn ugly,

Eyre Square wasn't broken in the 60's but they fixed it and then fixed it again. It's just another European style plaza but with bad grass. They removed the main attraction (statue of Padraig O'Connaire), removed tress and slapped public toilets almost as a centre piece when they could've been placed in a less prominent location.

I probably misrepresented my gripe with Galway Airport. It's as easy to get Dublin Airport now with the advent of the M6 motorway. One used to be able to fly to Amsterdam, Paris, Prague and Malaga from Galway but now it's mainly UK destinations.

Galway City Tribune has declined rapidly. Sales have dived to an all-time low. I figure it's because the contents are poorer. I never miss buying it but I just don't enjoy it. Their sports coverage is still brilliant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Overrated: Kashmir

A Chicken Tikka Masla should not taste like it has sugar/sweetener add. I have made better myself. Thats not lamb, its fat!!

Underrated: Tulsi & Eastern Tandoori

Tulsi shades it as the most underrated Indian when compared with ET & Kashmir. Become a regular, i.e. once a month and enjoy the preferential treatment, even with takeaway. I always get a Cobra thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

THFC wrote: »
    Under-rated:
    Pizza Napoli

Where is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

kebab hut is owned and run by one of the family from monroes so should be very similar

Kebab hut is a fine establishment, half pounder burger is serious value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Galway Cathedral imo is hugely underrated. I was in there during the week to get my mum a gift from the gift shop and it was just beautiful. I'm not at all religious myself but it was so peaceful and serene in there.

I just sat for a few mins taking it in and it was just gorgeous:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ErnieBert wrote: »
    OVERRATED
    Eyre Sq, It's just a field. no character.

Nah, you just have to imagine the gallows up by where the fountain is, and the crowds gathered below looking up to see the day's "entertainment".

Then look around and see all the current day homeless people trying to blag money off people: I almost laughed out loud the day I saw one man do the "spare change for the homeless" line on another Fairgreen client who he hadn't quite looked hard enough at to recognise ... they had a right old chat after that.

And watch the kids playing ballgames beside the council signs banning them.

Loads of character. And characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Overrated: McDonalds

Under rated: Fish shop opposite buskers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ingalway wrote: »
    Could not agree more...people who travel here from all over the world must spend ages wondering up and down the one shopping street looking for the 'city'. Also, the poor people who drive here and don't know any better and pay €2.60 and hour to park on street for their day out in the city.

Hardly matters does it. By Irish standards Galway is a city. By US standards it isn't. We live in Ireland therefore it's a city. End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Under-rated:
    Pizza Napoli
    Old Folks
    The Barber's Chair
    Rusheen Bay
    Gourmet (for rolls/sandwiches)

Over-Rated:
    Coyotes
    Subway
    The Eye Cinema (well, was)

How does one get to Rusheen bay by road?

Also, never would have thought that Coyotes would ever have been rated at all. So wouldn't even be possible for over-rating in my book.

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Where is it?
    I'm terrible with street names but I think the name is Cross Street. Beside Busker Browns, or across from the Front Door (just before the turn onto the pedestrianised street with McDonagh's)! That's Cross Street, right!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I'm terrible with street names but I think the name is Cross Street. Beside Busker Browns, or across from the Front Door (just before the turn onto the pedestrianised street with McDonagh's)! That's Cross Street, right!?
    yeah that's cross street, it's at top of Kirwans Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

kraggy wrote: »
    How does one get to Rusheen bay by road?

Well this is how you get there by bus, extrapolate from there:

Silverstrand beach / Rusheen Bay / Barna woods / Tobar Éinde or Tobar EannaCatch the 2w - Seacrest or 33 - Knocknacarra or 34 - Cappagh Rd bus. Get off at the bottom of Ballymoneen Rd (2w) or Cappagh Rd (33 or 34). Continue walking along the Barna Rd.

Rusheen Bay is on the left: there are various entrances marked for the riding school, the picnic area etc.
    Barna woods is a park area on the right hand side of the road, a little after the petrol station on the left.After that, the first turn-off to the left leads down to Silverstrand beach. It's a narrow road with no footpath: walk on the right hand side of the road so that drivers can see you.
    Tobar Eanna is in a small clearing on the left side of the road down the beach: the entrance is in the middle of a hedge and is not marked.

The walk from the bus-stop to Silverstrand beach takes 15-30 minutes, depending on your speed.

Public transport info for Popular Places

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Overrated: McDonalds

Under rated: Fish shop opposite buskers
    The Kettle of Fish? Only good thing in there is the battered Mars Bar (which is heavenly) and I heard that has nearly 2,000 calories! I remeber the day I had 3 and a half... Nearly needed a new toilet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Over-Rated:
    Coyotes
    Subway

Who 'rates' these places? Surely you can't say something is overrated, if everyone thinks they are crap in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Overrated
    1. Karma.
    2. Mcdonaughs Fish and Chips although I have yet to see much of an alternative for fish sadly.
    3. Race Week. The price of anything jumps insanely during race week.

Underrated
    1. The Quays(best Guinness in town)
    2. Kings Head(Great place to watch a match)
    3. Park House(Really nice soup)
    4. Barna Woods
    5. Silver Strand and Spiddle Beach
    6. The prom.
    7. Charlie Byrnes bookshop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Overrated
    3. Race Week. The price of anything jumps insanely during race week.

Finally, somebody's come out and said it - thank you!

Overrated
    Race Week.

Nonsense! Two words that don't belong anywhere near each other.

I was actually going to put the races on my underrated list.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

JustMary wrote: »
    It's a narrow road with no footpath: walk on the right hand side of the road so that drivers can see you.

What?!? Don't do that. Walk on the left like a good pedestrian, where drivers WILL see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Nuggles wrote: »
    What?!? Don't do that. Walk on the left like a good pedestrian, where drivers WILL see you.

if walking on a road with no footpath you should always walk on the right so you see traffic coming towards you not get surprised by it coming up behind you. And like every other animal its easier to see headlights reflecting off someones eyes and face than the back of their head

agreed that's basic rules of the road stuff there.

Bend in that road. If you're walking down that road on the right, car coming up. It would be a terribly dodgy place to suddenly come upon a pedestrian.

much much much much (x1000) better to be on the right where you can stand in, they can see you, and they can go around you, rather than on the left where no one knows you're there or you don't know the car is there til its too late. seriously, basic rules of the road stuff.

Do you people walk around dressed as ninjas?

Wait. . .that's a silly question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

We are raaambling off topic here ;)
    common sense here. 99% of time it is recommended (in Ireland, obviously different where we drive on diff side) to walk on right or facing oncoming traffic. Obviously at a hairpin bend where the shoulder is larger on one side, it might be sensible to cross and cross back for visibility if it isn't a busy road. Wear reflective bands too if walking late.

Advertisement