Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated & Underrated in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

So what's everyone got against McDonagh's chip shop? It's a must-visit for me anytime I'm in Galway.

Proper freshly cooked fish(not the frozen pre-cooked rubbish you get in most Irish chippers) and very decent chips. What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fatleomessi

Chelon wrote: »
    So what's everyone got against McDonagh's chip shop? It's a must-visit for me anytime I'm in Galway.

Proper freshly cooked fish(not the frozen pre-cooked rubbish you get in most Irish chippers) and very decent chips. What's not to like?

Are ya serious?

Next time you're in town, do yourself a favour.. Just go and try the newish place where snack box used to be (can't remember it's name). They don't have a sit down area mind you.

They serve authentic fresh, fish and chips.. and the fish you get is actually the variety you order..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Waste0fSpace

Sergeant wrote: »
    Overrated:

Galway Hooker Beer - The fear some people show in trying a pint of this delicious liquid.

Galway Hooker's brewed in Roscommon, in the old Emerald Brewery. :P

Tis lovely tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Are ya serious?

Next time you're in town, do yourself a favour.. Just go and try the newish place where snack box used to be (can't remember it's name). They don't have a sit down area mind you.

They serve authentic fresh, fish and chips.. and the fish you get is actually the variety you order..

Afraid I am serious, but will try your place next time; where is it exactly? What fishy ID problems have you had in McDs? Never had a bad experience there & I've been plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Sergeant wrote: »
    Underrated
    Charlie Byrne's bookstore - a gem of a place.

Interesting. I always thought it was regarded by people as arguably the best bookshop in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

You on about Harry Fitz at the bottom of shop street, across from Anthony Ryans?
    Mmmm, the chips there are fantastic! Fresh fluffy crispy nom nom nom nom nom.

Overrated:
    - At the mo, every Galway night club, inc. the Roisin. They're all samey samey and Roisin just doesn't seem to have the same vibe any more.
    - Monroes, could be a brilliant venue... If only they knew what to do with the place.
    - La Salsa. Even I'm guilty of overhyping this place. The food is good but it's really not that amazing.

Underrated:
    - All pubs west of the Roisin. Could spend every night of the week down that side of the town. (And frequently do)
    - Cans in the middle arch. Forgot sitting on the Tamarind side of the sparch... Drinking in the march all the way baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I tried the new fish and chips place and I wasn't impressed at all. Didn't think the chips were as nice as McDonaghs and they were so salty I couldn't finish them.

McDonaghs fish is definitely overrated though, it's overpriced and not anything special. Imo their chower is underrated, it's a little bowl of creamy amazingness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Overrated:
    -Every nightclub, particularly CPs.
    -The Roisin. Used to be decent but the crowd has changed.
    -This isn't really overrated, but I've yet to find a place in Galway that does a decent 99. :D
    -The Front Door. "Great place to go on the pull" I've been told. Is it feck.
    -Indian restaurants.
    -The Black Box. Awful place for a gig, reminds me of the Point in Dublin before it became the O2, a glorified shed with a stage.

Underrated:
    -The Bierhaus.
    -The food in the Townhouse. Its gorgeous and a lovely setting to chill out in.
    -Walking the prom on a sunny day. Its bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

moonflower wrote: »
    I tried the new fish and chips place and I wasn't impressed at all. Didn't think the chips were as nice as McDonaghs and they were so salty I couldn't finish them.

But they don't salt em there! They leave out the salt to put on yourself!

Overrated:
    -Every nightclub, particularly CPs.

But the staff there are LOVELY ;) :P
    Underrated:
    -The food in the Townhouse. Its gorgeous and a lovely setting to chill out in.

Seconded. My recommendation is the cajun chicken burger. Drool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

mitsuko045 wrote: »
    But the staff there are LOVELY ;) :P

My bias sense is tingling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Seconded. My recommendation is the cajun chicken burger. Drool.

Yum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Overrated

Arts festival
    Any landlord's veiw of his flat
    Juggling

Underrated

Ernie's
    Bell, book and candle
    Aras na ngeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

But they don't salt em there! They leave out the salt to put on yourself!

Maybe they don't usually, but the day I went in they definitely did! Although the guy behind the counter was in the middle of being shown something, so maybe he was new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Overrated

Any landlord's veiw of his flat
    brilliant!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Overrated:

Bierhaus-too much experimental music, not enough focus on the beer.
    McDonaghs chips- greasy nastiness.
    Neachtains- smelly crusty heaven

Underrated:
    Salthouse- great selection of beers and nice staff
    Capital Kebab- good food and cheaper than Charcoal

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭navigator

Underrated:
    the crisp air of an early sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

kosmo wrote: »
    Overrated: Antons cafe

where is this place and what does it offer apart from a cupa tae?

Overrated:

Bierhaus-too much experimental music, not enough focus on the beer.
    McDonaghs chips- greasy nastiness.
    Neachtains- smelly crusty heaven

Underrated:
    Salthouse- great selection of beers and nice staff
    Capital Kebab- good food and cheaper than Charcoal

Neactains seems to e the beloved pub of Irish Times readers. in fairness the crusties who frequent the place are peaceful.

its interesting how Galway sells itself as a bilingual city, yet apart from Club Aras na nGael the ancient tongue is seldom heard within the city. therefore the Irish Language is overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Overrrated:

Oscars, lots of salt and butter does not tasty food make.

Underrated:

UCHG, you only ever hear people giving out about the place, but they do offer a high level of care to the people of Galway, and the staff there do save lives everyday, just look at that young boy who got into difficulty in Leisureland. Really, we are lucky to have it.

Salthill/Silverstrand/Rusheen bay etc, especially in this weather, we are priviledged to have such wonderful free amenities on our doorstep:)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Overrated
    Underrated
    7. Charlie Byrnes bookshop

Yes, I know I'll be labelled a philistine but...

Overrated
    1. Charlie Byrnes bookshop

Someone else mentioned Kasmhir as overrated, however...

Underrated
    1. The hot Asian waitress that works in Kashmir :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

overrated.
    cps and the skeff.
    underated
    o connors famous bar in salthill.
    jumping off at blackrock.

Galway on a hot summers day.....no better place.

Neuro wrote: »
    Yes, I know I'll be labelled a philistine but...

Overrated
    1. Charlie Byrnes bookshop

:)

you are hereby labelled a philistine. you can still get good deals there and it is z and large a good book shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 anny

Overrated: Rag week in Galway is most definitely a thing of the past.

Milanos Italian Restaurant Middle Street. Amature incomparison to Da Robertas

Asian Tea House is a major let down and insanely overpriced

Underrated: Bar 8 in Galway City, best steak in Galway hands down.

Da Robertas Restaurant in Salthill, great food, huge menu and very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I love da robertas. Where's bar 8? Must try this...steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 anny

its on the docks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

anny wrote: »

Underrated: Bar 8 in Galway City, best steak in Galway hands down.

really? mine would have bounced it was so rubbery... Maybe I got a bad steak but it was by far the worst steak I've had in Galway.

I got a really nice steak the last time I was in Bar 8 about 2 weeks ago.

For me:
    Overrated -
    As many posters have already said, every single nightclub in Galway

Underrated -
    Those places where you can get amazing breakfasts, such as Frends or Trishas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I got a really nice steak the last time I was in Bar 8 about 2 weeks ago.

For me:
    Overrated -
    As many posters have already said, every single nightclub in Galway

Underrated -
    Those places where you can get amazing breakfasts, such as Frends or Trishas.

+1 one on Friends! mother of sweet divine it is the most glorious breakfast known to man

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

Im going to start with underrated because Galway, whether city or town is still such a great place. my favourite place to be any time of year.

Under-rated:
    • McSwiggans, great guinness, and 3 euro isn't bad. Always got a great atmosphere in there. I dont think it gets the business it deserves in there.
    • Salt house, Love the place.
    • The marina on a sunny and warm day is such a great spot. I see the docks becoming a serious spot in the future.
    • The Oslo in salthill is a great spot for lunch.

Over-rated:
    • The Sparch: the museum is cool but the area there is just messy, and rank. i much prefer the far side of the river. or further down the long walk. especially if one is boozing ;)
    • of course clubs again - theres no point in going when all your getting is DJ "middle aged still trying to live the dream". Djs in general i dont have a massive amount of respect for, they charge ya through the japs eye for a glorified soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

anny wrote: »
    Da Robertas Restaurant in Salthill, great food, huge menu and very reasonable.
    Under-rated: Da Roberta's food.:)
    Over-rated: Da Roberta's service.:rolleyes:

Advertisement